m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon
I would like to share some thoughts on warmup.

Lately I haven't said time to apply before grinding, let alone have time to play.

But I would like to add some hacks to my warmup.

What would you advise?

Currently, I have been practicing some physical activity that speeds up my metabolism and right after that I have stopped to see anything related to poker. And you?

Have a nice week my friends!!!

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My warm up is a healthy dream. I am convinced that a good rest before the game allows me to be more focused and patient.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rest, a clear mind, focus, and believing you'll have a good session. Having a positive attitude can help you emotionally.

J

joseph9176

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very good question! everyone will have something different they do, Some rest some meditate, me personally i like to warm up with a nice fat blunt to help clear my mind.
Just focus on what you think will help your game play in the long run

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good idea is to re-read your personal notes about poker or analyzing your hands from previous sessions.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's interesting that you say your pregame (warm-up) routine includes not seeing anything poker-related before the session, while for me it's actually the opposite. I found that the best warm-up for me is to review hands from the previous session, as usually it helps me to play way more disciplined - pay some extra attention in certain spots and prevents me from spewing / making marginal decisions.

kleopatra123

kleopatra123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good rest , good meditate, me personally i like to warm up with a nice music to help clear my mind .Having a positive attitude can help you emotionally.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm watching a strategic video. It helps me focus from the beginning of the game. I visualize my goal and the strategy that must be adopted to achieve it.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To warm up for a big tournament, i play some Spin'nGo tournaments. It is fast, only 3 players and i can checkout my luck .

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try rest a lot (somedays I play 10/12 hours without pause), listen music and dont think in my problems.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, the best warm-up before the game is swimming. I believe that daily physical activity is the key to the endurance of a successful player.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I like to go for a walk before I play poker, it makes me feel great.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Caffeine, peace and quiet. Avoid tension.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good question, like a really really good one!

Psych is a huge part of playing poker, especially live poker. Many pros nowadays have their own gurus or life coaches (or whatever it's called now) to help them prep for sessions.

Personally, back when I was grinding live poker hard, I would go through articles and videos about the specifics of the game I would eventually play that night.

For example, If I was going to play an MTT live, I would find a video like:
"top 5 tips for live MTT's", "Poker tells - how to stay focused during the game" etc.

Same goes for cash games. On the way to the session, I would sort of repeat it in my head, like lines to think about during the game which keeps me focused.

Since I am only play poker as a hobby, mostly online, I tend to play online chess to keep my brain going. Since I play blitz chess, I have the time to play one or two games during pauses which keeps my focus on a high enough level to keep playing online.

G

gorgos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you decide to add to your warmup make sure that you are being consistent with it. No matter what you do, as long as you get into a rhythm, it'll help get you in the zone.

DanielSpaan

DanielSpaan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My warm up is caffeine with a joint. Its make me focus to the game... and get rest before it starts.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
My warm-up is a cup of tea or coffee. That is enough for me.
Good luck.

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont do any 'unusual' warm up before grinding, but I like to have everything organized before starting, like having my bottle of water, finding some good playlist I want to listen to that day, eating (or preparing something I'm going to eat during the breaks) this way I dont have to spend time doing other things that arent playing during the session

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I like to eat a healthy, blood-sugar stabilizing meal (like scrambled eggs with low carb veggies) before a long session.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To warm up for a big tournament, i play some Spin'nGo tournaments. It is fast, only 3 players and i can checkout my luck .

Hahah, well mate if those games can really warm you up, it's your choice.
But as I tried to do that myself, it basically did the opposite thing to me. Yet before my tournaments started I was already so much tilted by playing Spins (obviously losing them)! :motz: That I'd better unregister from all tournaments right away and go for a walk or something. :hahaha:

I mean, overall seen this kind of poker has a high variance and has the huge ability for tilting you, especially if you're running not well. As one Spin & Go coach said once in his VOD: "Well losing 7-9 buy-ins in a row in spins is okay, doesn't even indicate that you played wrong, just be prepared to the high variance!" :shot:

Also, it sets up you for ultra-loose-aggro style, which is partly fine for 3-handed short-stacked action, but simply suicidal for long-lasting 9- or 8-handed MTTs. LOL, I won't do that ever again.
Either I play MTTs or Spins, but not MTTs after Spins, it's so crazy. :bird:
But it's my opinion tho. :hmmmm:
---
For me a good warm-up, just like for many other people, who wrote previously here - watching some poker VODs about the game I'm going to play, working with ICM & equity calcs, looking through the charts and analyzing my previously tagged hands. That helps me a lot to tune up my mind for "thinking poker" and I also show a better game, if I did all that for at least half-hour before my session than without it.

But I totally agree with those, who say a good rest and healthy meal before the session is not less important. The body & the mind are connected and if the body feels not well, it's silly awaiting that the mind will do it's best.

Last edited:
G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First I try not to think about problems or bad games. Then I play one or two freerols to warm the mind. So I eat healthy, express good energy and vibration, focus on the process and finally start the session!
GG to all

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Hello how are you? It never occurred to me to warm up I'll do it. What I do before playing a poker tournament is to see poker online