What will you do if you go broke in a short time ?

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every poker player at least one time experienced going broke in a short period of time, especially those players whose bankrolls are very small or playing poker as a day job.

it happened to me not only once maybe 3 or 4 times and every time I handle the situation and saved myself its all started with playing online and I couldn't handle bad beats and downswings so I cashed in more than usual and it cost me my bankroll after a short period of time.

so how did I handle; well it's not easy I was broke I just take a break from poker I borrowed money and I ask for help from my close friends and after a while with poker tables that I could handle well and started all over again

M

Maximillianvalue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Were you with good bankroll management? To not use more than 5% on table at any time. This is the way because always in a moment there is variance even for the best players there are big swings

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This situation already happened with me so many times, specially when I was starting because I only played freerolls and it's very easy to go broke when your bankroll is so small. If I go broke now, I probably would start a bankroll again playing freerolls or I would make a deposit.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
every poker player at least one time experienced going broke in a short period of time, especially those players whose bankrolls are very small or playing poker as a day job.

it happened to me not only once maybe 3 or 4 times and every time I handle the situation and saved myself its all started with playing online and I couldn't handle bad beats and downswings so I cashed in more than usual and it cost me my bankroll after a short period of time.

so how did I handle; well it's not easy I was broke I just take a break from poker I borrowed money and I ask for help from my close friends and after a while with poker tables that I could handle well and started all over again

If I ever went broke from poker I would just get a job

Better to have guaranteed income coming in to protect my survival concerns, and from there I can always play a much better game

If my question was what will i do if I bust a bankroll? The answer is reload

:girlshit:

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You "borrowed" money to play poker? Well.....
The same as you - if I go broke, I take some time off. Then, after some time, when I am prepared, I deposit some money and start with micro stakes. That's how I grow up my bankroll.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I have not had such situations. Poker for me is just fun, my favorite hobby. The game always brings me pleasure, but even more pleasure brings me my skill and discipline. So I always try to be patient and usually my patience is well rewarded.
Good luck.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would grind it back up from a tiny bankroll!

If you can even deposit something very small, that gives you the chance to prove you're ready to win again by grinding it up at the lowest stakes. It takes discipline and good fundamentals + can make a fun challenge in the process.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I would not say that I went broke when your bankroll is not so big. In the absence of money on my account, I can safely switch to freerolls and especially freerolls Cardchat and raise the required amount to be in the game again:)

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will look at where I went wrong - was I chasing to get money I lost back, was I observing correct bankroll management, was it just variance or a downswing?

Then I would study some more and go back and try not to repeat my mistakes

I'm sure this will happen to all of us at some point in my opinion you just have to believe in yourself and try and play good poker every time you sit down at a a table and then hopefully we will win more than we lose

Good luck out there

B

baykoshkar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never mind. I will play freerolls

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer not to be broke
As it is a terrible feeling
So play smart
If poker is not doing you well
Then try something else you are good in
And can make a profit

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Poker is fun for me, but I always play disciplined, follow my own rules and try to be patient. In fact, I built a bankroll from scratch, only thanks to freerolls, so I am convinced that it makes no sense to invest your own money in the game.

J

joniftatrilly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take breaks just when I lose a significant percentage of my BR. Deposited $50 into pokerstars in July just to play micros and as a way of keeping myself occupied during the continued quarantine, and my plan from the start was to be disciplined and if I lost it all id wait a while before depositing again. I've taken a couple small breaks since then and as of a week ago had built my BR up to just over $2k. I've lost about $120 since then which is only a little more than 5% but my ITM percentage went down so much over this past week that at this point i feel more comfortable taking a break until the weekend or longer and put in some time studying and refreshing rather than create a larger defecit for myself when I'm not feeling like I'm playing my best or even that well.

I think discipline is really the most important thing and recognizing when to cut myself off and commit to it probably saved my bankroll at multiple points. As has mostly sticking to small buy ins where the tournament's that were once nearly 10% of my starting BR are now less than 1% of my current one, which I know is nitty but I'd rather be nitty with my bankroll than at the tables especially when it's primarily for entertainment and to challenge myself. So it'd be unlikely for me to lose it all, at least anytime soon, but I also know it's not impossible and if it were to happen I'd need a longer break than a couple of weeks, and so if I lose a significant portion over a short time, which this past week has been about 2.5x my starting BR, I'll take smaller breaks to compensate and try to get back into the right mindframe to start building again from where I am now versus from scratch

I've uninstalled the program from my computer and at the moment have no desire to reinstall it. I was at this same point about two months ago, took a break for about a week and a half or two, and came back playing better than ever, so I know when I feel ready I'll reinstall it and keep playing, but for the time being im more comfortable taking a short break than continuing to play losing poker without looking and thinking about what's changed in my play the past week, aside from a more memorable amount of bad beats than usual, which whatever, id rather go out that way than in a way that allows me to be disappointed in myself when i could have made better decisions, which applies at the table for individual hands and in general for my bankroll

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
every poker player at least one time experienced going broke in a short period of time, especially those players whose bankrolls are very small...

Well therein lies the problem. This is not a true statement.

Many players do lose their bankroll. I have stated before for some it seems to be a right of passage, part of poker culture and lore. I find it stupid and underwhelming especially as managing a bankroll is an integral part of playing poker (whether as a rec or pro).

The fact is others haven't all gone broke. They trod carefully into poker, started with free rolls and built bank rolls from nada. I am one of them. All it takes is the wherewithal to enter the game with a determination to succeed - even without investment. You need to set personal parameters as well as goals.

If you recalibrate and then focus, losing a bankroll becomes an impossibility.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's always freerolls and points tourneys. Any chance to pick up cash for no buy-ins is good. If you manage bankroll and use freerolls, you shouldn't go broke.

rusyamingazov

rusyamingazov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ohhh sometimes it happens, you shouldn't get mad and play next session angry, you should calm down, have a rest

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a break, try to understand what led me to that situation and learn from my mistakes.

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still trying not to play poker for money or big money, so I can't go broke until I can. you need to control yourself

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've only "gone broke" a couple of times. Now, if I'm having a really bad luck period I move up a level in my cash games. I almost always find that the different skill level/attitude/approach taken at the higher levels suits me better and I rebuild my bankroll pretty quickly. I do this for cash games only, NOT tournaments. There's way too much variance in tournaments for me to reliably counter when I''m already short.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it does work for me.

A

Alexio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens very often with micro-stakes players, since they do not fully understand the game and have an insufficient bankroll, and are also more prone to tilt, since it is difficult for them to understand the distance, variance and other important aspects of this game from the very beginning. If you cannot calmly experience such moments, I think you should not play poker, it is better to find another stable job. But be sure that in any job there are experiences, difficult moments, even fatal mistakes. It is better to accept this as part of the game and look for an opportunity to build up your bankroll again, or make a deposit, or play freerolls, different tournaments, inexpensive cash, play more disciplined and have fun and earnings.

mardasenia

mardasenia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not the great one who never fell, but the great one who fell and got up !!

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is advisable to try to achieve a bankroll with the minimum deposit or based on freerolls, to be depositing again and again does not make sense, it is about making money not about losing, if you lose all the bankroll once you should start with bankroll, everything is slower but more solid:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking back🤔

I don’t think I ever went completely broke unless you mean the amount set aside to play poker was all gone then yeah. Having kids and a wife I can’t afford to go completely broke. The closest though was years ago I spent my car insurance bill money. Thank the energy of the universe I had somebody that was able to replace that money(I’ll never do that again). Now I find multiple ways to study. Going through lone poker sessions with a deck of cards, being here on card chat , watching the greats on YouTube or combing through my method for flaws and weaknesses. I’ll find ways to gather more money to deposit until next Thursday when I can play again but until then it’s....... “Back to the lab again yo!”-Eminem 😁

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go broke !?

U need deposit . :deal: