What is the right attitude?

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the days I read an interesting article in which Daniel Negreanu talks about Bad Beat Attitude.From this I share a detail:

DN: Stand by your results. The thing about bad beat stories is, there's no value in them. Why do people tell bad beat stories? So they can say, 'It's not me, I'm just unlucky!' They can get off the hook by not being responsible for their results. They'll tell you about losing all-in with kings. You ask, how many big blinds did you have? They say, 'seven'. Well, how did you get down to seven? 'Oh, you know, let's not talk about that part...'
You may know a player called Mike Matusow. He's the most unlucky player in the world - just ask him. There are situations where he's running bad, in his mind, and for example a flush card comes on the river. I'll bet really big, because Matusow will be thinking, 'Well of course he has the flush! I'm the unluckiest player in the world, so every time I flop top set, they hit the flush!' He's not even thinking about the fundamentals of the hand anymore. When you tell bad beat stories and give off that image, that you're a victim, people are going to take advantage of you.
About four or five years ago I was in love with a woman and she broke my heart. It not only affected my confidence in my everyday life, but had a massive effect on my poker game. I'd tell people the stories; she did this, she cheated on me, she lied to me and so on. But that's the victim version. The responsible version is...when I met her, she was kinda seeing somebody else!
She lied to me, but I chose to stay. It was 100% my choice. Once I realised that, I could let go of it.

For me, very interesting and deep thoughts, and one can understand.
What do you think about it?

haiiG

haiiG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazing words from amazing player. Thanks for sharing this!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the days I read an interesting article in which Daniel Negreanu talks about Bad Beat Attitude.From this I share a detail:

DN: Stand by your results. The thing about bad beat stories is, there's no value in them. Why do people tell bad beat stories? So they can say, 'It's not me, I'm just unlucky!' They can get off the hook by not being responsiblefor their results. They'll tell you about losing all-in with kings. You ask, how many big blinds did you have? They say, 'seven'. Well, how did you get down to seven? 'Oh, you know, let's not talk about that part...'
You may know a player called Mike Matusow. He's the most unlucky player in the world - just ask him. There are situations where he's running bad, in his mind, and for example a flush card comes on the river. I'll bet really big, because Matusow will be thinking, 'Well of course he has the flush! I'm the unluckiest player in the world, so every time I flop top set, they hit the flush!' He's not even thinking about the fundamentals of the hand anymore. When you tell bad beat stories and give off that image, that you're a victim, people are going to take advantage of you.
About four or five years ago I was in love with a woman and she broke my heart. It not only affected my confidence in my everyday life, but had a massive effect on my poker game. I'd tell people the stories; she did this, she cheated on me, she lied to me and so on. But that's the victim version. The responsible version is...when I met her, she was kinda seeing somebody else!
She lied to me, but I chose to stay. It was 100% my choice. Once I realised that, I could let go of it.

No doubt this is a great reasoning coming from a brilliant player.

But there is bad luck in the game...I've had days of losing a tournament with a two-part flip call. One with AA x AQ the other with AA x KK. That's in 5 straight hands.

So this theory is not always valid.
You may not be on tilt but the opponent believes you are, even when you dominate the bad beat it happens.

Of course, explanadically, but without a doubt, bad luck exists!

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Failures happen. The main thing is never to lose your head, and stop the tilt in time. A few unsuccessful hands in a row can turn your deliberate game into a terrible game

A

ALVY_MARRAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be positive, enjoy life and always learn from mistakes!

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A relaxed attitude is always right. After all, in the all run we are all dead.

BogdanP

BogdanP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
have u ever seen a player on your table that plays almost every hand and wins?Ever happened to you? I wonder. Am I unlucky or is the other just too lucky? Bad luck is a thing but so is good luck. In poker u have to deal with that. Perseverance is key.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks for sharing Daniel's words. I've also been trying to assimilate the bad beats and thoughts like that help a lot. First you have to learn to identify real bad beats. Often you and the villain have good hands and it's normal to lose.
A bad beat in my opinion is having a premium hand preflop and losing to a ridiculous hand because villain is a maniac and has entered with you. Now if you have a premium hand and you didn't make a sizable raise and let a bunch of people see the flop to try and fatten up the pot it wasn't a bad beat. It was a bad play.
I think it's important to give more value to the bad beats that are in your favor. Perhaps we realize that it is part of the game. Life to follow and may the next cards come.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beat should not be confused with carelessness and lack of work on the game. After all, many people confuse bad beat with bad playing. Sometimes bad playing leads to excuses like bad beat.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bad beat, "It is what it is"

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Poker doesn't care what you had in the past, all that matters is the hand you showdown.
It doesn't matter what your hand started as, all that matters is what it is now, and what it might end up being.
Remember, poker hands are fluid and relative. Each street and showdown must be considered on it's separate merits and played according to what you think Villain(s) thinks of their holding.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right Attitude is to play like a robot without emotion

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

DN: Stand by your results. The thing about bad beat stories is, there's no value in them. Why do people tell bad beat stories? So they can say, 'It's not me, I'm just unlucky!' They can get off the hook by not being responsible for their results. They'll tell you about losing all-in with kings. You ask, how many big blinds did you have? They say, 'seven'. Well, how did you get down to seven? 'Oh, you know, let's not talk about that part...'

Everyone experiences bad beats and losing streaks. Those who respect the game and know they're inevitable overcome them without whining. Those who don't are just playing the victim card, probably for sympathy. They won't get it from me. I remember watching a woman sitting on a couch in her 3/4-million-dollar home which she paid for with her $110,000 a year mostly tax-free pension. She was crying because she never thought she would be living in poverty. Go figure. I guess one man's shack is another man's mansion. It's all in the attitude.

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inevitable. Part of the game so have to embrace it.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Very interesting, I don't understand spoken English very well, but I would like to hear Negreanu in a Poscast or Interview, but with subtitles in Spanish 😬