What the "people" think of texas holdem NL and why

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is something I had read in many places but I did not perceive directly until very recently, playing some ACR freerolls. Most people who do not play or are starting to play, believe that the game is about bluffing constantly, this is something known. But yesterday I played one of these freerolls tournaments and I saw an opponent throw another one out of the pot with a big raise. Of course, this is nothing unusual. What surprised me was that the one who had made the bet would show his cards after winning, a j-2o that did not connect at all with the flop, and be very "proud" of his bluff. As you can imagine, this player did not last more than a few more rounds before someone caught him with all his chips. But I kept thinking about the image that most people have about poker, and above all, why it is. Perhaps it is the televised tournaments, where this type of hands in particular are broadcast with great show. What do you think? Do you think that is the image that people have (a bluff game)?

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I see professionals playing on tv or YouTube there are people that play with what we consider are crappy cards and then bluff to take down the pot. It’s exciting to see that and you def want to be able to do the same. But live you have a face to look at and these pros are excellent at reading and figuring out what people have.

I once watched a video where Daniel Negraneu told the guy he was playing preflop that the guy was holding Aces based on betting and face reactions

. So when the flop came Daniel was behind and the guy knew it but didn’t know how to play the pot because Daniel was still in the pot even though he knew his opponent had Aces. Daniel did lose the pot but managed to see the turn and river without cost to his stack because of how well he can read opponents.

This is a bit different than a bluff, but without reading your opponents, figuring out their range, and betting patterns, bluffing with air will hurt you and newbies don’t realize this when they watch their favorite players doing the same thing they think they’re doing themselves

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I too have watched a lot of poker shows on T.V.. We've all heard the announcers on these shows applaud big bluffs as they regard them as high level plays. However, it's rare to see players showing each other bluffs in tournaments. In cash games, showing a bluff is considered good for the game as it will likely lead to more action in subsequent hands. While a lot of people are impressed by players who make huge bluffs, I am, more often than not, rooting to see a player to make a good read and call the bluff. That's not to say that I don't respect a well timed bluff. Nor that I'm above making one myself. I just don't get carried away with it.

There are two mistakes that I constantly see online players make. The first is to get carried away and make bluffing the cornerstone of their game. The second is to think that every single bluff has to be a drastic all-in move. These two mistakes have tendency to be the downfall of a lot of players. I frequently have the pleasure of taking advantage of such players. There is currently an active thread on this site titled "Your best advice". One of the very best pieces of advice I have ever heard came from Erick Lindgren who said "always give them a chance to bluff at it". Doing that is exactly what leads to me taking down some of the biggest pots I win. After raising pre-flop and connecting with what I am sure is the best hand, I will bet the flop and the turn before checking the river and allowing my opponent to "bluff at it". And sure enough, they very rarely make a reasonable sized bluff, but more often then not go all-in and end up doubling me up or bluffing their entire stack off to me.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it could be a high level meta where the guy knows you'll be playing again and he wanted you and everyone on the table to mark him as a fish so the next you face him in a tournament and cash game, he'll be playing ABC Poker.

Sorry. I just watched a clip from the Phil Ivey masterclass and that his reasoning for showing some clips where he stayed in the round with garbage hands and lost everything....

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that poker is a game that combines, first and foremost, strategy, tactics and individual style of the player. Bluff is one element of tactics.

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People are adrenaline junkies for the most part. No one gets excited to see someone fold over and over. Those types of players that bluff constantly are just chasing a high in my opinion.

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hold 'em is a game of ego.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best kind of poker. unpredictability makes this look the best ...
:vollkomme

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the time for bots is approaching now, and the rooms need to make an effort to combat this!
Some play on a scent or under alcohol or under drugs - watch streams

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules