what makes durrrr so good

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What set's durrrr on a higher field than the other onlin pro's an live pro's. I'm looking for his obv calling an raiseing a2c to get a read on his oppents to take the pot away later.

Please no durrr sucks durrrr rocks an so on post.

DURRRR SO FING ROCKS (o wait none of that i'm sorry)

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ill tell you this...the kid is absolutly amazing...he just knows how to win...is his style and range textbook...NO...but he plays the game like any other sport, he finds a way to win...he plays loose cards and depends on his aggression to win pots he is behind in(see the large pot on HSP with peter eastgate)forcing opponents to fold better hands...when he is behind, plays aggressive and gets called...he has somehow fallen into the good graces of the poker gods and seems to catch EVERY time...his game is not my style and i wont even try play some of the cards he plays...i have my range(depending on position) and genarally stick to it...he is also a good ambassador for the game...he is young...his success proves this game is a game of skill and will hopefully in the future prove itself in th mainstreak so great things such as online poker will not be under attack from the powers that be in certain "FREE" country...sure he is dorky and easy to laugh at, but man oh man, he is good

cheers and gl wooter

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he's young and unafraid IMO

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's cos of his age, and because of it, his total lack of concept of money.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he's young and unafraid IMO

So any unafraid player in the world that catches a few cards can win up to 10 mill in a few years. I get the point but come on something is different with him i belive.He's got is oppents not knowing to scratch there watch or wind there ass at the highest levels

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online high stakes tracking indicate he won almost 10 million in 2008 alone...however....he did lose several million in january alone this year at FTP

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My whole experience about Durrrrrrr is HSP oriented.

But he does seem to be fearless. And thus doesn't play as if he cares what cards he is dealt. Having secured his futuyre with big wins can do that to someone.

Thus I stand behind my young and unafraid assessment. There is no concept of scared money, and not much of a hint about even cautious money.

I doubt I could even play a decent play money game against him tho. He does seem to be charmed.

R

RoTs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has some ability at the game but playing that carefree style can bite back. Look at Archie Karas.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He has some ability at the game but playing that carefree style can bite back. Look at Archie Karas.

There is no style that can't & won't bite you in the ass eventually, variance don't give a flip what your style is. As dj said, he seems fearless & people haven't been able to get reads on him. Yet.

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He wins a lot because he plays loose aggressive. Since he plays so many hands it is difficult for his opponents to put him on a hand. When he is constantly raising and re-raising his opponents are scared to play back at him. I think though this style of his will have to change because it is getting harder for him to buy the pot, other players are adapting to his style. When he wins a wsop bracelet I will give him respect because the live game is different than online.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah he's won alot bcos he's aggressive, but he's lost alot too :p
But his style is very aggressive and it works. He's not afriad to chuck large amounts of money on bluffs and that is a good concept of the game to try and push ppl off pots (plus when he makes his made strong hands he will get paid for them too).
But if i was playin in a game against Tom Dwan im sure i can easily beat him as my callin/raising range will b massive against him, then all u gotta do is sit bk n wait for him to bet lol.
He is a great player tho. Alot better than some of the other pros out there.

Is Tom Dwan sponserd aswell? Who by? FT??

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what makes roger federer so good at tennis?

he just has a sick understanding of the game, yo

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
young

Being young and unafraid,,,, the kid has ice water running through his veins,,, but,, live by the sword.. die by the sword,,,only time will tell,,, I do wish I had his courage...
Take care

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Durrrr's secret weapon is extreme situational recognition. He has been able to use the big amount of hands he has played to recognize how and what other players will play against him in a certain situation.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Durrrr's secret weapon is extreme situational recognition. He has been able to use the big amount of hands he has played to recognize how and what other players will play against him in a certain situation.

That's about right. When he senses anytime of fear he puts his opponents to the test. He has played over 2 million hands in a few short years. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has a deal with Satan, and an invisible (to us) demon that sits over his left shoulder... watch him play sometime and you'll see him looking at it now and then.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is Tom Dwan sponserd aswell? Who by? FT??

No, he's not sponsored. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to be, BTW, since he hardly ever plays tournaments and one of the biggest parts of sponsorship is getting logos on TV final tables. He played pretty much all of the latest season of HSP, but they don't allow logos at the table. Plus as a predominantly online pro it's probably better for him to retain the option of playing on multiple sites.

As for what puts him on a different plane to run of the mill players, I'd say a big part of it is advertising and image management. Compare him to, say, Phil Galfond. They're obviously both excellent, aggressive players. But the whole world knows that Durrrr is a maniac because that's the way he's managed his image.

It means he often gets paid off big when he hits big, and it means he gets plenty of action too because it's possible that he'll drop a huge amount in one session and people want to be in with a chance of picking it up. Lack of action is the mortal enemy of the high stakes cash game player.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you joking???? hes a donk, like any donk they will lose.
You give me a LAG, i will take him down. Who else played like him and is not winning any more?? i forgot his name, coz the TAG players took him out.
See video posted, in the videoshttps://www.cardschat.com/f53/helmuth-durrr-rematch-huc-2009-a-158424-new/
So easy to trap, thats why i like LAGs...

Do you wanna play Dwan heads up?

And lol at assessing his entire game based on one hand. If we wanna do that then check out the hand he played on HSP against Eastgate and Greenstein, or this hand against JC Tran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHS-ZNEgVg

The guy has won millions, over a huge number of hands, calling him a donk is just insane.

Answering why he's so good is impossible for people like us to say. Tbh, only vanq and capslock have made viable statements. Just saying he's aggressive is nowhere near enough

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His understanding of the game is just really above most people's. He does a very good job of knowing what level players are on, and adjusting to that.

He's definitely concious of his image, and uses that to his benefit, as well as making his own hands quite difficult to read by doing a very good job of balancing his ranges.

When he check/jams a river, you have a really really tough decision. He will do this with air. He'll do it with one pair. He'll do it with the nuts.

Durrrr makes the other players make tough decisions a lot, and as a result they often just say, "It's not worth it" and fold. He gets a lot of FE, it's pretty sick, but that's respect right there. I don't really care what other people say, if you look at how people (top pros) play against him, a lot of them straight fear the guy.

jakattack

jakattack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know that Durrrr as lost around 3million this year, and ive heard that he has been borrowing money of freinds ( gus etc ) but would'nt be suprised if he clawd some dollars back!!!!!!!

Ive seen him online about 5times this year unless he is playing other sites, If anyone knows any more about this please reply..... Im a big fan of Tom

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know that Durrrr as lost around 3million this year, and ive heard that he has been borrowing money of freinds ( gus etc ) but would'nt be suprised if he clawd some dollars back!!!!!!!

Ive seen him online about 5times this year unless he is playing other sites, If anyone knows any more about this please reply..... Im a big fan of Tom

Pretty sure he's almost exactly b/e for the year online. He sometimes plays on Stars as Holdem_nl

R

rolltide32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He plays the game so differently then anyone else many players dont know what hits them when they first play durrr. His range isnt really a range because he plays everything. You just cant put him on a hand. Its makes it alot harder to go up against him.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He's played a hell of a lot more sessions than five this year. Hell, he's logged almost three days solid just in his four-tabling challenge with Patrik Antonius.

So I think it's possible he's sneaking on and playing while you're not looking :p

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you wanna play Dwan heads up? maybe

And lol at assessing his entire game based on one hand. If we wanna do that then check out the hand he played on HSP against Eastgate and Greenstein, or this hand against JC Tran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHS-ZNEgVg

The guy has won millions, over a huge number of hands, calling him a donk is just insane.

Answering why he's so good is impossible for people like us to say. Tbh, only vanq and capslock have made viable statements. Just saying he's aggressive is nowhere near enough
Lets see him pull off a bluff like that in 2NL...
Easy way to lose your chip stack. How many WSOP did he win?
Once everyone see what he plays, he will start losing.

rolltide32 He plays the game so differently then anyone else many players dont know what hits them when they first play durrr. His range isnt really a range because he plays everything. You just cant put him on a hand. Its makes it alot harder to go up against him.
I have knocked out so many loose players, just like him, by not raising on a hand, letting them lead out. If your willing to play everything, you will get knocked out, it just takes the right one to do so.