What are the key skills for winning at poker?

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I had a dollar for every word that has been written on the subject of whether poker is just luck or skill. Most posters tend to favour skill, yet fail to provide suitable evidence to back up their arguement. Their answers tend to be rather vague and not difinitive. So now is your chance to inform us all of the skills necessary to become a great poker player. Length of time playing is not necessary a criterion, you could be as bad a player as you were years ago.
This post may ruffle a few feathers, or hurt someone's pride, but come on, spill the beans, what exactly are these skills so we that we can learn

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the basic skills of the game of Poker enough. I do not believe in luck, everything is predetermined. I call it an accident. If the River came 10 and he reached the street-it's just an accident. The basic basics of Poker are the most important thing. Everything else is made up invented and unnecessary. You know the basic principles and nothing else is necessary. You play the map and that's it. If at the table 6 max, three go in all in, and you have 2 5, you can, too, go and can come 55432 then as have them AQ AA and say KK. I can win 10 times out of ten on 2 5!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you can not win if you are not lucky on your side. But also that competances are an essential asset to win a tournament. winning a long-term tournament is what happens when the preparation meets the opportunity. For me rigor and discipline it is the most important competitions in poker. you have to respect the basic rules and be able to establish a strategy and apply it. to be more precise luck counts for 20% at the beginning of the game and it goes to 60% at the end of the game.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The skill I have is usually beaten by luck, so I guess I don't have much to add to the conversation.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's certainly a mix between luck and skill, not one or the other.

As for the key skills, this is the video I put out which highlights the key traits in my poker mentors -

And if you need more info the lessons on this page cover just about everything https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-become-a-professional-player

Hope this is what you were looking for amigo!

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is luck in the short term.

But skill in the long run.

We would not have poker professionals if you couldn't exploit the mistake of bad players.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wish I had a dollar for every word that has been written on the subject of whether poker is just luck or skill. Most posters tend to favour skill, yet fail to provide suitable evidence to back up their arguement. Their answers tend to be rather vague and not difinitive. So now is your chance to inform us all of the skills necessary to become a great poker player. Length of time playing is not necessary a criterion, you could be as bad a player as you were years ago.
This post may ruffle a few feathers, or hurt someone's pride, but come on, spill the beans, what exactly are these skills so we that we can learn

Your definition of suitable being?
Do you really believe there is an exact set of specific skills that guarantee you will always avoid bad beats?
Poker is a game that has an element of luck involved, that one can mitigate the the negative effects of that luck with acquired skills is indisputable.
I also really hope my reply neither ruffles any feathers, wasn't actually aware that fish had feathers, or hurts anyone' pride, or discourages anyone who believes that luck rules from continuing to bring their money to the table. :captain:

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Patience and discipline are two skills you must master to succeed at poker long term.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Patience, discipline, wisdom and resilience.

kandauroff

kandauroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
intuition, self-control, patience, luck

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the key skill to excel in poker is 'Self Control'.
Your worst enemy is yourself. One need to know yourself before you get to know your opponent.
Learn to control all emotion, control your facial expression and temperamental.

I have came across a young man who sat on my table trying to piss me off by verbal abuse and mocking. I have seen him a couple of times before and i know he is a very rich man's son, which explain his arrogant and rudeness. I went to the toilet to get my face washed, took a deep breath and told myself not to get angry.
"I want his money"...these are the few words that i kept telling myself after i sat down again to play.
After a few hours, he left being pissed off and i went home a few thousand dollars richer.

You can't depend on Luck because there's no way you can control it. Again, it's all about self control. Whenever you find lady luck sitting right next to you, keep on playing. Bur if you discovered that she's against you, leave and go home.

Last edited:
Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think with such a critical attitude, you only need to hope for luck. I would not want to describe all my skills that I have acquired for the whole game, but, according to my feelings, experience gives many positive points for my results in the game. But luck, of course, also has a place to be, but only on this you cannot build a long-term positive balance.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think success in poker depends directly on the patience and discipline of the player.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quote Length of time playing is not necessary a criterion, you could be as bad a player as you were years ago.
While could be right sometimes I think that experience is an important skill in poker.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the key skill to excel in poker is 'Self Control'.
Your worst enemy is yourself. One need to know yourself before you get to know your opponent.
Learn to control all emotion, control your facial expression and temperamental.

I have came across a young man who sat on my table trying to piss me off by verbal abuse and mocking. I have seen him a couple of times before and i know he is a very rich man's son, which explain his arrogant and rudeness. I went to the toilet to get my face washed, took a deep breath and told myself not to get angry.
"I want his money"...these are the few words that i kept telling myself after i sat down again to play.
After a few hours, he left being pissed off and i went home a few thousand dollars richer.

You can't depend on Luck because there's no way you can control it. Again, it's all about self control. Whenever you find lady luck sitting right next to you, keep on playing. Bur if you discovered that she's against you, leave and go home.
This is what I like about Cardschat. Someone always hits the nail on the head and writes what I agree with.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously I´m not a Pro, but I´d dare to say study patience ,discipline a healthy life style and respect your 8 hour rest.

Dutydog

Dutydog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not sure it’s the key skill, but psychology is pretty important

R

romanych51

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all hi Poker interesting game who as thinks that it is important Prowess bluff or luck me so seems that from luck many that depends as and many perhaps think as nor fact and this random

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is the key for a win. Also you need to have lots of luck in online poker, if you want to win.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's certainly a mix between luck and skill, not one or the other.
As for the key skills, this is the video I put out which highlights the key traits in my poker mentors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdPfnsomOA&list=PLBrNnyWekagOoExJPqtRmidlSDjsIBxIl&index=1
And if you need more info the lessons on this page cover just about everything https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-become-a-professional-player
Hope this is what you were looking for amigo!
hi hi Evan!!! :ciao:
thank you so much this
Gripsed is the best gives awesome teachings
i luv alex fitzgerald he such a marvellous teacher, he my poker hero, tell him ok?
i purchased many his books
when i more wealthy i purchase the videos

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can win not only with good cards. Professionals skillfully bluff with "junk" cards against weak players and take the pot without opening. The main thing in poker is constant training, its own strategy and the ability to read opponents.