What I HATE About the TV Poker Shows

GCB

GCB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The players fiddling with those damn chips. Clickety-clickety-click-click. All night long.

I'm watching Poker After Dark, and at one point I think all six of the players were doing it. No one was talking, just nothing but chip noise in stereo.

Do they have mikes on the table? Can't they filter that out? Sounds like they are cranking it up.

Thank goodness you can't hear that on online poker.

Someone ought to tell somebody who cares that that is lousy television.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the noise of the chips clicking together whenever i play poker that is one the things i do move shuffle my chips if you know how to do it you'll be surprized how relaxing and fun it is to do it. Its the third best thing to do after talking/conversing and eating food at the poker table.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The players fiddling with those damn chips. Clickety-clickety-click-click. All night long.

I'm watching Poker After Dark, and at one point I think all six of the players were doing it. No one was talking, just nothing but chip noise in stereo.

Do they have mikes on the table? Can't they filter that out? Sounds like they are cranking it up.

Chip noise is quite common in live poker rooms with experienced poker players.

Filtering out chip noise during TV poker would be the equivalent to filtering out the sound of the bouncing basketball in an NBA game or leaving out the crack of the bat in an MLB game. Could you imagine watching a motor race without hearing the engines roar? It would be quite poor television.

Chip noise is a poker player's "engine" imo.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shuffle chips while playing online...music to my ears.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You hear that in ANY poker room.

GCB

GCB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it might be like a band of angels live, but it's annoying on the TV. To me anyway. But I can see how you would learn to filter it out.

By the way if you want to see how your brain focuses, watch this.
Carefully watch the white team and see if you can count how many basketball passes they make.

YouTube - How Observant Are You?

L

Lonsdaleite

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing I find really irritating with Poker After Dark is you can hear every chip clinking, but its difficult to hear what the players are saying. The bets they have on what will flop are pretty interesting, but all you can hear is everybody playing with their chips.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Filtering out chip noise during TV poker would be the equivalent to filtering out the sound of the bouncing basketball in an NBA game or leaving out the crack of the bat in an MLB game. Could you imagine watching a motor race without hearing the engines roar? It would be quite poor television.

^^^This - Great response!!! So very true! I play a lot of live poker and I shuffle my chips for hours on end, it is very soothing.

Hambone8705

Hambone8705

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stopped shuffling chips to make this post. It busies the hand and stimulates the auditory system, therefore helping you focus on what your doing. MrSticker also had a great take on this. Any poker player that has been playing for a few years LOVES this sound. I went to a home game a couple of weeks ago and they had those stupid plastic chips that are too light to really shuffle and they sound dumb too, my game was totally thrown off because all I could focus on was how much I hated these stupid chips.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shuffle my chips. I love doing it but I only shuffle my chips when I'm not in a hand. When I am bored at work, i'll get a few dollars worth of quarters and shuffle them when I'm sitting at my desk.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is what you hate about TV poker??? Not the fact that they pretty much only show big hands and makes the donkeys feel they can win with any hand, because they see top pros raising with 52 off and hitting straights, yet they dont realize that that same pro probably folded the last 25 hands dealt to him. Thats what bothers me about TV poker.

By the way my signature is a quote from OP. :)

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't resist either, and I am not to good at the chip shuffle but I am learning. The could show more of the drink girls though.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i love the sound of chips makin noises. If u dont like it, stay away from live poker games then. Thats all u can hear for hours and hours lol.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah - OP, never play live poker if that noise bothers you because you'll be hearing it from the first hand to the last. It's just what happens at live poker games and the TV shows accurately reflect that.

M

matahorne

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with grossberger, the skewwed image of how long the players have been sittng at the table. After all the wsop main event only takes ten hours to complete right?

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a remoted control with a ''-'' on it. Use that button and everything is fine...

Problem solved....

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This^^^ try going to the wsop lol, that's all you hear with thousands of people doing it at the same time, if hearing it on TV makes you weak wait till you go there you'd go absolutely bonkers:)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you see the moonwalking bear?

lol

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shuffle chips while playing online...music to my ears.
Me too, I have a stack of 10 red chips that live at the corner of my mousepad. I'm constantly shuffling them anytime I'm playing online or just waiting on something at the computer, and I too love the sound in a live cardroom.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

+1
Absolutely agree with this

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since this discussion seems to have become more of a debate about chip shuffling than the quality of poker TV shows, I have a few questions because I am totally fascinated by the phenomenon and also agree that the sound is part and parcel of live poker. Also, when I'm playing on the southern IN riverboats, people who chip-shuffle expertly seem to gain respect the minute they sit down. As such, this skill is a definite asset as far as initial table image goes.

So.....how did everyone learn to shuffle chips? Does doing so just come naturally or like poker does it take practice, practice, practice? Are there different techniques? Is there a totally foolproof way?

FREEROLLSFTW

FREEROLLSFTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since this discussion seems to have become more of a debate about chip shuffling than the quality of poker TV shows, I have a few questions because I am totally fascinated by the phenomenon and also agree that the sound is part and parcel of live poker. Also, when I'm playing on the southern IN riverboats, people who chip-shuffle expertly seem to gain respect the minute they sit down. As such, this skill is a definite asset as far as initial table image goes.

So.....how did everyone learn to shuffle chips? Does doing so just come naturally or like poker does it take practice, practice, practice? Are there different techniques? Is there a totally foolproof way?

i watched some vids on youtube and practiced it while playing, in time you'll do it with ease. :D

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's practice. And like freerolls says, there are YouTube videos that can show you how to do a bunch of different chip tricks.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, Freerolls and Oz! Are there any specific YouTube vids that you especially like?