What does it take to be a pro?
First off I'd prefer answers from pros and semi pros mainly but if your not either, which I expect most not to be I still wouldn't mind hearing your opinions! With that said I really want to know what it takes to be a pro. It is my dream and I think for me it is a reasonable dream, here is why. First I'm still young I have nothing huge tying me down like a wife or kids. If I wanted to I could grab some clothes, money, and my other valuables get in my truck and be in Vegas in 3-4 days. But its also not like I plan on going pro tomorrow I'm thinking more along the lines of the next 2-5 years. By then I'll have enough money saved up, and studied enough to finally turn my dream to reality. Also poker is my everything, yes I'm a no life and I think that will also help me in my success. I'm not an addict though I don't always think poker, poker, poker. There are other things on my mind like sex, money, friends, family. If I didn't think poker was profitable I would only play it every once in a while for fun. Below I'm going to list things I have or have done that seem important in this goal.
1. Experience- I've been playing poker since I was 15 and became serious with it at 16. I've played a little live but mostly online.
2. I'm strong emotionally I can hide my feelings and have been doing so for years my temper doesn't flare up and I haven't cussed anyone out since I was a kid. Emotion doesn't effect my judgment.
3. I've done my homework, I've read two books The Poker Mindset and Texas
an probabilities. I plan on reading more in the future. I have read countless internet post and articles on 2+2 and Cards Chat. I have also watched many instructional videos.
4. I'm my only support. I can't tell you how many people have tried to discourage me from poker, to many to count. I don't have one single supporter besides myself and that is what drives me to take it to the next level.
5. I'm good at math. All throughout school I was always in advanced math classes earning extra math credits in high school.
6. I'm ITM 33.2% of the time. I understand that to be a good rate also.
7. I know many games not just hold'em. EX. 5 card draw, 7 stud, Omaha, Irish, 2-7 triple and single draw, and a few others I'm forgetting about at the moment.
8. All my knowledge of poker is self taught, like books, videos, etc. nobody specifically showed me anything.
9. I have plenty of time to invest into learning new things about the game.
10. I know things already like polarizing range, pot odds
, statistics, outs, BRM etc.
11. I'm a winning player I've won more than I've lost and I'm not just on some epic heater believe me I've lost my whole roll due to bad brm but I've fixed that since then. And I've dealt with a few nasty down swings.
That's all I can think of now but I will think of more later and add them.
So what are things I still need to learn and go over in time before I go pro and any advice that would be helpful would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!