What do you think about threatening table chat and what can be done about it?

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had an instance today where another player whom I got lucky against flies off the handle in chat and starts making posts like die expletive and u die soon expletive. I can understand someone being mad and making angry posts but talking about another person dieing? I saw some horrible chat in another game the other night, not directed at me, that was 10x worse. How do you feel about this behavior and can anything be done about it? It has no place in poker for any reason in my opinion. Today's hand was both of us with 2 pr on the turn hero with A6 and villian with AT. Of course, in typical acr fashion, I river a 6 for a full house and double up.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the internet, death threats are hardly worth noting IMO, but some people take it more seriously than others. I would just make a mental note that they are probably tilted out of their mind and to be aware going into hands with them. Nothing more to say other than maybe this is an exercise in "poker facing" irl and not letting yourself get emotional over another's actions.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the response! I'm not really emotional about it. Just don't think that players who make threats of that nature should be playing. Does it scare some people away from playing? Maybe! I've had women poker friends tell me that it makes them not want to play because of it. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you feel about this behavior and can anything be done about it? It has no place in poker for any reason in my opinion.

I don't think much can be done about it online. The poker client's have algorithms built-in to detect expletives and to post responses such as "no bad words in chat." As most of us have observed it doesn't take rocket science to get around - to trick - the algorithm.

No, this kind of behavior doesn't have place in poker. However, since the behavior is mostly unpreventable by algorithms... I use it to my advantage. Chat can often provide useful information about the opponents state of mind.

An opponent who is vomiting expletives is often on tilt. An opponent who is chatty is often a social (recreational) player with less experience or someone who is bored. An opponent who is chatting but making no sense might have had a few too many beers!

All of that said when an opponent is relentlessly cursing and berating other players I typically turn the chat off because, like you, I don't feel that kind of behavior has a place in poker.

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mute the chat. Most folks don’t talk anyway. Otherwise just ignore it, the internet gives a lot of people liquid courage like no other— knowing this, realize most wouldn’t talk like that in real life

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mute the chat. Most folks don’t talk anyway. Otherwise just ignore it, the internet gives a lot of people liquid courage like no other— knowing this, realize most wouldn’t talk like that in real life

^ This. Muted chat on all the sites I play on a long time ago. No doubt I've had this kind of garbage said to me but they might as well be talking to a wall :)

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had an instance today where another player whom I got lucky against flies off the handle in chat and starts making posts like die expletive and u die soon expletive. I can understand someone being mad and making angry posts but talking about another person dieing? I saw some horrible chat in another game the other night, not directed at me, that was 10x worse. How do you feel about this behavior and can anything be done about it? It has no place in poker for any reason in my opinion. Today's hand was both of us with 2 pr on the turn hero with A6 and villian with AT. Of course, in typical acr fashion, I river a 6 for a full house and double up.

If i was to die a painful death from aids or cancer like has been wished on me in the past would be dead a thousand times already just laugh it off and pity the fool that is in pain.:)
I am actually surprised and well impressed when someone can take their beating like a man and not go off the rails lol.
Smilies [More]:jd4:;):D:eek::):(:confused::mad::p:rolleyes::cool::eek::frown::call2::icon_king

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long distance tough guys that like to go on tough guy rants because they know they wont get hurt. In a live game they are the ones that do not utter a single word so they don't get beat. Just laugh at them and make them madder than they were and they will go beat their head against a wall and kick their own ass!:D:D

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to send smiley faces and thank you in chat when someone gets ugly like this it gets under there skin and they usually bust very quickly.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone on tilt is easier to win against. Also the mute option online is amazing

I

Izazul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually turn of the chat and ignore, but i think websites should monitor rude and threatening chat on the table....Haha players on tilt lose quicker, take their stack lol

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An opponent who is chatty is often a social (recreational) player with less experience or someone who is bored.

Is a recreational player some one who dosn't rely on poker earnings to support lifestyle . If thats the case, i am defintely a rec. 15yrs ago i chatted as often as possible . Lots of interesting cultures and many diverse opinions . One of my main enjoyments as a micro, non multi table, playing poker enthusiast . If this was taken as some form of weakness my bank balance begs to differ . The only place i get any humour playing poker is live now . Far to many bad players online who think they can win by means other than knowing how to play .

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that these players need to ban chat and for a long time, and you just turn off the chat and do not pay attention to such players, they have anger because they lose, players need to keep themselves in hand and not write nonsense and respect other players even if you're losing!

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An opponent who is chatty is often a social (recreational) player with less experience or someone who is bored.

If this was taken as some form of weakness my bank balance begs to differ . The only place i get any humour playing poker is live now. Far to many bad players online who think they can win by means other than knowing how to play .
The examples given are in no way meant to be firm and true. They are just ideas of what might be inferred from a player that is active in chat.

There are many great recreational players - sounds like you might be one of them! My intention in the example was related the idea that if a player is super chatty they might not be as focused on paying attention to the game. Perhaps some players are able to both play their A-game and also be active in chat...

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been called so many names over the years, I just laugh it off. I figure I must have done something right to get under their skin like that. Some people just like to shock. You meet all kinds on an internet site. The good, the bad and the ugly.

ERICBR30

ERICBR30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I have been offended several times in the chat rooms of poker rooms sometimes by badbets that I applied to the opponent and others for the simple fact of being Brazilian, several times of which I was offended for being Brazilian were mainly by Russian players.
I will not be hypocritical here to say that I did not retaliate against offenses, but I find it stupid and a lack of character to judge or offend the other because of his or her nationality, religion, color or any other name or option.
Sorry for the outburst.

In my opinion, getting angry and putting this in the chat is no problem since it does not offend the other, if offending has to be punished.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we all can agree that vulgar speech in a live poker game is unacceptable and there are rules to address this.

The online regulations on vulgar speech also have their own set of rules that users need to adhere to.

But let me add my two cents to all these individuals whose feelings as just too delicate to deal with these types of individuals, Stop all the WHINING, the quickest and simplest solution is to put the user on chat block so you never have to read another word from them.

My only observation in cases like these is, why the heck are these snow-flakes wasting their concentration and energies on reading anyone’s posts? FOCUS on the game at hand. :fight:

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

Some good advice already. I'll just add, the abuser mostly likely lacks the social grace to accept loss gracefully and best to ignore him/her.

On the positive side, it usually happens just after you have taken a sizable chunk of their chips. So in my case, players can abuse me as much as they like, when they are donating to my stack. Water of a ducks back really.

Now to the game in question.
I am sure I was at the table when it happened. What was particularly disappointing, it was a Cardschat Freeroll. There were at least four dealer messages "Please keep all table chat clean!". Because it was a Cardschat Freeroll and the abuse went on for some time, I took the liberty to take screen shots of some of the chat abuse.

I still have the screen shots if you wish to take it further, but probably best to let it go. He will eventually hang himself, if he continues with that sort of behaviour.

[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]Good luck at the tables and I may see you at a ACR Cardschat freeroll one day.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some good advice already. I'll just add, the abuser mostly likely lacks the social grace to accept loss gracefully and best to ignored him/her.

On the positive side, it usually happens just after you have taken a sizable chunk of their chips. So in my case, players can abuse me as much as they like, when they are donating to my stack. Water of a ducks back really.

Now to the game in question.
I am sure I was at the table when it happened. What was particularly disappointing, it was a Cardschat freeroll. There were at least four dealer messages "Please keep all table chat clean!". Because it was a Cardschat freeroll and the abuse went on for sometime, I took the liberty to take screen shots of some of the chat abuse.

I still have the screen shots if you wish to take it further, but probably best to let it go. He will eventually hang himself, if he continues with that sort of behaviour.

[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]Good luck at the tables and I may see you at a ACR Cardschat freeroll one day.
[/FONT]

Thanks for the response Orchidra! I wasn't really concerned, or whining as one responder so kindly noted, about the negative chat but it is disappointing to see, especially in a Cards Chat game. It's unfortunate that people feel a need, whatever their excuses may be, to abuse others. I don't take it personal or let it affect my game but as long as it's tolerated and accepted it will only continue and become more prevalent in poker, which is sad.

If you screen shot the chat, then you saw my responses of "tyvm" which I'm sure increased this persons anger. Oh well, I had the majority of his chips and I think he went out next hand or two so good riddance. I agree that the person will eventually hang himself and am not interested in sending it to the admins/mods, Karma will get him in the end!

Thanks again and I do hope to see you on the tables in the future! Good luck to you as well!

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol seriously what they gonna do jump threw the computer ..come on either banter along with the muppets or just block chat this is my method

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online behind just a nickname gives the courage to some people to say things that they will never dare to say if the have real person in front of them. Unfortunately this can not be changed. The best option is to just ignore them or turn off the chat completely. If they are still in the game you can even use this as advantage because they are tilted for sure to write such things.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go on tilt and cuss sometimes at people, but never any death threats. That's too far!

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol seriously what they gonna do jump threw the computer ..come on either banter along with the muppets or just block chat this is my method
Some of the best moments are muppet moments . I am a single table player and will never turn chat off . :cheers::hahaha: :withstupi:tomato::boxing::2in1::fight:

Lefty Blue

Lefty Blue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rude Chat

In my opinion threats are just stupid but rude chat is more of a problem. It can be taken personally and interfere with some people's game.

Many years ago on Bovada a player had a screen name I found rude. I would normally just let it go BUT he became rude and insulting in chat. I sent off an email to Bovada and within 10 minutes THEREMYCHIPSNIGGA was told to change his name or leave. Kudos to Bovada admin!

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% ignore. Nothing I could say would likely make it improve, and turning off chat will also help me not react to it. :)