What do you guys do to get back in the mood for poker!

M

MilkLegs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all,

I'm just in one of those bad variance spots at the moment where i'm running -ev and getting outdrawn like crazy in those really +ev spots blah blah blah. (RIGGED!!! Joking!) Anyway, in my last little chunk of tournies and cash games i've played I noticed that i'm starting to play worse to go along with the bad luck. Anyway this is usually where I take a small break and try to get some inspiration again so I don't keep playing and start to tilt and play too aggro. Mike and Worm just aren't helping things anymore lol.

Anyway, what do you guys usually do to stay hyped for poker?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's easy to get frustrated and tired, even despondent regarding poker. But I have found a simply avenue which reveals (at least to me) that I am not fed up with poker in any real sense.

I watch some classic poker shows for entertainment. Not for study or to review my game, but for pure entertainment. By way of example, I have just been winding through pokerstars 'The Big Game' which is an interesting format. 5 pros (Negreanu, Doyle, Kenney, Mercier etc.) sit with one amateur who is fronted the min buy-in of $100,000 to play 150 hands. Anything the amateur makes over the 100K, they keep - and some do very well.

I find if I detach from my own performance anxiety, my love for the game is still intact. It might seem counter-intuitive to recommend watching poker but it works.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, if you're feeling rough about it, take a break. I sometimes watch some videos of people in deep runs to motivate me about what poker can bring

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What works for me is to stop playing for at least 24 hours. It seems little time but make the whole diference. :icon_bigs

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey all,

I'm just in one of those bad variance spots at the moment where i'm running -ev and getting outdrawn like crazy in those really +ev spots blah blah blah. (RIGGED!!! Joking!) Anyway, in my last little chunk of tournies and cash games i've played I noticed that i'm starting to play worse to go along with the bad luck. Anyway this is usually where I take a small break and try to get some inspiration again so I don't keep playing and start to tilt and play too aggro. Mike and Worm just aren't helping things anymore lol.

If you are in a pocket of bad variance and/or aren't playing your best, surely the last thing you want to do is get/stay hyped for poker..?

Take a break!

Give yourself some time to decompress. Some time to analyse.

Ideally you need to know what hasn't been working for you. 'Is it purely variance or are there other factors too?' is the kind of question one should be asking oneself.

Regardless of what the mistakes:variance ratio is, rushing back in is the real misstep here.

If you don't allow yourself appropriate downtime, you're more than likely going to end up banging your head against the wall... :banghead:

~~~~~~~~

Now that has been said, the other answer is 'watching poker'.

It doesn't matter how long or bad a session has been, how furious I am with the improbable occuring as if it were certainty, as soon as I watch others playing Texas Hold'em (be it on stream or TV or live or otherwise), I'm ready to go again.

This is why after a long (or bad) session I'll never watch poker because I'll be back at the felt in five minutes flat...

Regards.

rustixxx

rustixxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you urged to lose, then stop playing. go have a break, have a drink, drink beer with your friends ... just distract yourself from the game for 12 hours.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! When I am spoiled by the bad game, I need to go further away from the computer, otherwise I will sit down to play and usually lose, now it’s difficult for many to leave the apartment, but I live in the village and I have a second hobby: fishing and I just take a spin and go to the river, water and fresh air help to cool off irritation and analyze my mistakes. Regards, Sergey.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey all,

Do something else for a little while and then look up your sharkscope stats or something like that. :eek:

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I get mad or whatever and take a break from the game as soon as i start watching poker streamers I want to start playing again.

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

Well, most of me disassemble my own game, look where I made mistakes or just unlucky, then just switch to something else (for example, watch a movie, go for a walk with friends, go to the pool):dancing2:

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think of poker as a job, so when a bad streak starts, I just stop playing and focus on what I usually do, and as soon as the negativity of failure passes (usually it's a day or two, max a week), I go back to the table and continue to enjoy the game: wins and even failures!:top::top::top:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I just play, try to be patient and make informed decisions. I try to avoid risky situations and play only when I am sure.

T

thuliomano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get up, drink some water with a cookie, breathe and come back

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every poker player has to get used to it, 70% of the days are going to be losers, and in the 30% we have to do our best to make up for those days of losses. If it is game variance you have nothing to do, it is to continue playing that the results will appear, now if you are making the wrong decisions then you have to stop to analyze which spots you are missing and try to adjust. Doing this will surely return to winning the tables!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i am exhausted after playing too much i just take a break. In few days usually i want to play again. :)

N

ndarragh91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A game with friends usually gets me back in the mood again, makes you realize how fun it is!

K

Kdk1232

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don’t you lose interest keep out it’s a bad habit lose money

M

MilkLegs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all the replies,

I've been barely playing and hanging out with my family. Watching some old reruns of poker final tables/cash games got me going again. Had a few good cashes over the last couple days and back on track it seems with the cash games as well. Got to spend a good chunk of time analyzing my hands so I can improve on some of my lines. I really was running bad there for a bit. Too many 2-3 outers/gutshots/runner runner flushes were destroying me after getting all the chips in on the flop or turn.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a day off, go somewhere in nature, doing gym, singing lol any type of outdoor activity is good

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... Mike and Worm just aren't helping things anymore lol.

Rounders was a good poker movie :)

As others have mentioned, taking a break from poker can help. Sometimes I can motivated for poker just by taking a seat at the poker table and looking around at the atmosphere. Yup, let's play some poker! :)

S

Spokoim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a break for one or two days. I watch replays of past tournaments. There is a garden. A lot of physical work every day. Fishing is a great help.:rolleyes:

tagog

tagog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually i watch movies about Poker and this brings the second breath to me