What to do with a downswing

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently experiencing a huge downswing and it's effecting my game. In I'm getting big hands cracked when deep or people are hitting two outers against me constantly both cash and tourneys.
In the last week every tourney I've been knocked out of I've had the other players dominated AA v 66 QQ v 77. AK v AJ you get the picture. I can't seem to be able to hold on I even got KK cracked by 76o with him hitting the flush on the river.

The post isn't meant to be bad beat stories but the fact is I'm starting to not want to get the money in the middle i flopped a straight and with a flush draw on board I eventually got it in but was negatively thinking he will have a flush draw and get there and sure enough it happened.
How easy is it to reset and start a new tourney without these thoughts. For instance I've got pocket 10s facing a jam and I'm thinking he will have AK,AQ and get there if I call.
I know maths are meant to stand up but they really aren't and haven't for as long as I can remember sure I've dished out a bad beat we all have but when will being 90% favorite actually hold up it sure doesn't even 50%

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am currently experiencing a huge downswing and it's effecting my game. In I'm getting big hands cracked when deep or people are hitting two outers against me constantly both cash and tourneys.
In the last week every tourney I've been knocked out of I've had the other players dominated AA v 66 QQ v 77. AK v AJ you get the picture. I can't seem to be able to hold on I even got KK cracked by 76o with him hitting the flush on the river.

The post isn't meant to be bad beat stories but the fact is I'm starting to not want to get the money in the middle i flopped a straight and with a flush draw on board I eventually got it in but was negatively thinking he will have a flush draw and get there and sure enough it happened.
How easy is it to reset and start a new tourney without these thoughts. For instance I've got pocket 10s facing a jam and I'm thinking he will have AK,AQ and get there if I call.
I know maths are meant to stand up but they really aren't and haven't for as long as I can remember sure I've dished out a bad beat we all have but when will being 90% favorite actually hold up it sure doesn't even 50%
The best thing to do with a downswing is invert it. :)

Pal, anyone who plays poker regularly will invariably experience downswings from time to time.

They vary in severity and length and although they might never go away, how you perceive them can change and... Perception is everything.

You might argue there is no way to benefit from a downswing, and I would nonchalantly disagree.

The importance of your frame of mind can't really be overstated in poker.

How easy is it to hit the reset button?

Gets easier and easier as soon as you're looking at things the right way.

Once you read between the lines and then establish the subtext of what is written between the lines, you probably won't even need a reset button.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i am also burning from this

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
be patience, keep low profile and wait for the end of downswinging period

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it's difficult to change your negative thoughts when you are facing a long downswing period. When this type of thing starts to happens with me, I take a short break from poker and forget completely about the game. When I come back to play, my mind is fresh to start again.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's difficult to change your negative thoughts when you are facing a long downswing period. When this type of thing starts to happens with me, I take a short break from poker and forget completely about the game. When I come back to play, my mind is fresh to start again.

I think this is what I need I'm making deep runs and I final tabled on Friday but my hands just don't seem to hold up down the stretch

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I know how it is, it happens all the time. In these cases I try, not to let it affect me as possible! I keep files and so I look at my course and I am making conclusions. It is a good way to deal with this downswing.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your case, the best option is to do nothing. That is, you need to stop playing altogether. Take a break for 1-2 weeks and I'm sure it will help you.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
We all go through this! When I happen to lose a few days in a row in that style as if any hand I have doesn't work, I change my style of play. I start playing hands that I would usually throw, but for a short time!

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has a ritual

I have heard of crazy pre game rituals from carrying a number of lucky items to not washing your socks. I try to incorporate rituals, especially during a downswing, that may have some added benefit to my game. I like to wash down supplements like DHA and Ginko Biloba with protein shakes and do light cardio. If I plan to take the day off of poker because it was really THAT BAD, heavy cardio might be in order. 10 minutes a day of deep breathing exercises also helps to keep my blood pressure in range. Keeping BP down helps curb any rattled nerves when I am deep in the money.
Do things that *might help later* is my advice! Pick a great player at the top and watch him or her on their journey when you feel the burn. See how they handle variance, bad beats, and full on downswings. Do like your idol does which is probably step down 1 level and build back up again with more skills next time around.

P.S. Alwsys envision the win. Envision the blank card that keeps your hand in the lead. Never allow the nightmare cards you need to avoid to enter your brain. My game turned a huge corner when I started that practice.

Last edited:
tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most important thing is to keep playing your A game. the day the variance will again be on your side. it will make it easier for you to reach your goals again and make gains. we all suffer the effect of variance on our game. everything we can do when it happens and it really lasts in time. it is to suffer and to be patient. I wish you good luck for your next games and I hope that you will succeed in overworking this event.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It remains only to endure and wait and wait and wait, or not play)

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys I'll try a little break and see how it goes

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most important thing is to keep playing your A game. the day the variance will again be on your side. it will make it easier for you to reach your goals again and make gains. we all suffer the effect of variance on our game. everything we can do when it happens and it really lasts in time. it is to suffer and to be patient. I wish you good luck for your next games and I hope that you will succeed in overworking this event.

Thank you wishing you good luck also

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Take a break for a few days do something fun and relaxing.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you is just to quickly try to forget such unpleasant moments, do not focus on bad beats, unfortunately this is an integral part of poker, it is impossible to avoid it, and the more you remember, the more you will be disappointed in the game and may completely lose the desire to play poker. Good luck!:)

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

definetly take a break and rest from poker if you on a very bad streak. But you may have to examine your game. Maybe you are getting cracked with big hands because you are letting other players in by slowpalying to much.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as long as your mental game and decision making aren't affective negatively, keep playing. the only to get through a downswing is to play through it.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think that you, like many, during a long scattering, start or have already set up a negative and inclined mood. At the moment, you are waiting for meanness and loss in each hand, respectively, and you do not believe the mathematical component of the game of poker.
I found, or rather, took as a basis a simple way out (which many players and psychologists indicate) in this situation, just a way out of the game. Stop playing and stop thinking about the game completely. Switch your thoughts to other things. Give yourself time to skip the game. Everyone has their own time of isolation from poker.
I think our mistake is that when we play poker, we devote more and more time to this game. This needs to be done as poker professionals, because they play poker for just over 2 weeks per month

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
as long as your mental game and decision making aren't affective negatively, keep playing. the only to get through a downswing is to play through it.

Not sure if you're serious... :dontknow:

:laugh:

If you are serious, I'm not sure where you picked up this piece of nonsense.

There is always another way, that is the nature of things.

Never heard the expression 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'? :)

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I took a two day break got back to the tables and everything started off well doubled up on one table playing cash. Increased my stack by half on other table.

Then in the space of a hour I had four seperate people totally dominated all in and three of them hit two outers on river and other a 3 outer.

Maybe 2 days wasn't enough