Welcome Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier to CardsChat!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, I'm pretty late :eek:, but still want to say I'm really excited, that you, Katie and Collin are with us now! It's a huge win for the whole our community to have you here! Welcome welcome guys!! :wavey::tee::flowers:

Thanks so much for your nice words, that is extremely kind of you! We’re so happy to be here! :)

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I welcome such famous players in the community. Collin, I started playing poker after reading your book. I was absent for some time in discussions of poker topics, but on this occasion I will be happy to return.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I welcome such famous players in the community. Collin, I started playing poker after reading your book. I was absent for some time in discussions of poker topics, but on this occasion I will be happy to return.

Aw, you’re too kind Amdrius! Thank you :)

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good news! I hope to meet you in the CC tournaments! welcome!

M

Maksimus71087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Collin and Katie welcome to Cardschat. Glad to meet you here.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Collin and Katie. I could use some advice or perhaps you could do a video on what to do when you are on a downswing. Personally, I have been on a horrible one, I had been losing every showdown hand no matter how long the odds of my opponent catching. I mean, it's been so bad that I lost KK in consecutive hands (different sites and tournaments) the first to pocket 10's and the next to J6s. This made me decide to take a week off from playing poker and dive even harder into studying (I study almost everyday anyway, but when you take away the actual games, it gives you a lot more time...lol). Anyway, I am sure you have both dealt with a major downswing before, how did you handle it?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Collin and Katie. I could use some advice or perhaps you could do a video on what to do when you are on a downswing. Personally, I have been on a horrible one, I had been losing every showdown hand no matter how long the odds of my opponent catching. I mean, it's been so bad that I lost KK in consecutive hands (different sites and tournaments) the first to pocket 10's and the next to J6s. This made me decide to take a week off from playing poker and dive even harder into studying (I study almost everyday anyway, but when you take away the actual games, it gives you a lot more time...lol). Anyway, I am sure you have both dealt with a major downswing before, how did you handle it?

Hi OneCoolHand, this is an excellent and extremely important question! Our upcoming course for CardsChat has a day that focuses on the mental game, and making a shorter video on it is a great idea too!

It sounds like you are already doing the two most important things: taking a break and studying more, so well done. I’d suggest not necessarily limiting yourself to a week, but instead making your reentry based on when you feel excited to play again.

I know it’s tough, but try to reframe your thinking to incorporate the variance that is necessary for the game of poker to be so much fun in the long run. It always stinks to lose to an underpair, but when it does happen, try to remind yourself that this is what happens ~20% of the time with an all-in pre. Remember that when someone gets it all in versus you as a huge dog (oftentimes with them making a significant mistake) and sucks out that you make a lot of money from their mistake in the long run, and that them having had this unlikely win makes their poor play even more likely to repeat in the future.

These are the steps I take when in a downswing, especially when it comes to the extensive studying. In particular, I like to review my own recent games with great scrutiny—and extreme honesty, looking for anything that could be improved upon potentially. Then I do the work to make that improvement happen, as well as more general studying—ie watching others’ videos/reading any new poker books.

When I start playing again I usually move down in stakes until I’ve regained more of my confidence and feel very excited about going back to my old games again!

Lastly, try to keep in mind that we tend to make our biggest improvements when we doubt ourselves the most. If we use our downswings as vehicles to progress into being even better poker players, then we can easily turn what feels like an awful downswing at the time into one of the most profitable things that could happen to us as poker players! I credit my downswings with being a much better player than I would be had it all been smooth sailing.

Hope this helps and that your luck turns around soon :)

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi OneCoolHand, this is an excellent and extremely important question! Our upcoming course for CardsChat has a day that focuses on the mental game, and making a shorter video on it is a great idea too!

It sounds like you are already doing the two most important things: taking a break and studying more, so well done. I’d suggest not necessarily limiting yourself to a week, but instead making your reentry based on when you feel excited to play again.

I know it’s tough, but try to reframe your thinking to incorporate the variance that is necessary for the game of poker to be so much fun in the long run. It always stinks to lose to an underpair, but when it does happen, try to remind yourself that this is what happens ~20% of the time with an all-in pre. Remember that when someone gets it all in versus you as a huge dog (oftentimes with them making a significant mistake) and sucks out that you make a lot of money from their mistake in the long run, and that them having had this unlikely win makes their poor play even more likely to repeat in the future.

These are the steps I take when in a downswing, especially when it comes to the extensive studying. In particular, I like to review my own recent games with great scrutiny—and extreme honesty, looking for anything that could be improved upon potentially. Then I do the work to make that improvement happen, as well as more general studying—ie watching others’ videos/reading any new poker books.

When I start playing again I usually move down in stakes until I’ve regained more of my confidence and feel very excited about going back to my old games again!

Lastly, try to keep in mind that we tend to make our biggest improvements when we doubt ourselves the most. If we use our downswings as vehicles to progress into being even better poker players, then we can easily turn what feels like an awful downswing at the time into one of the most profitable things that could happen to us as poker players! I credit my downswings with being a much better player than I would be had it all been smooth sailing.

Hope this helps and that your luck turns around soon :)

Terrific advice Katie. to be honest, I was excited to play and eager to play the next day. I only choose a week because I had a trial to prepare for, so it seemed like a good time to just take a nice little break. And I know that their crappy play means more money for me in the long run...or, points in the first case since it was a league game.

Do you ever have someone else (thinking probably Collin) review your hand history too, just to get a different perspective?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Terrific advice Katie. to be honest, I was excited to play and eager to play the next day. I only choose a week because I had a trial to prepare for, so it seemed like a good time to just take a nice little break. And I know that their crappy play means more money for me in the long run...or, points in the first case since it was a league game.

Do you ever have someone else (thinking probably Collin) review your hand history too, just to get a different perspective?

So glad you found it helpful [emoji4] Yes I will do that with Collin but we also talk about poker every single day so if there’s just a hand or two bothering me I’ll tell him about it and get his feedback.

I like to think he does the same with me [emoji4] and we’ve been known to debate a single hand for over an hour lol (luckily we would never subject anyone else to having to listen to that hahaha). I also have a few other close friends that I bring up spots with that are perhaps more in others’ wheelhouse (like asking a cash player about an early, deepstacked spot that actually occurred in an MTT). Posting the hand on CardsChat is also another idea that works well!

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
welcome Katie and Collin.

i'll be reading Collin's book "Sit 'n Go Strategy" this weekend. A friend loaned me a paperback version of it.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
welcome Katie and Collin.

i'll be reading Collin's book "Sit 'n Go Strategy" this weekend. A friend loaned me a paperback version of it.

Thanks and hope you enjoy it! :)

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome folks!

Wow man, 3 milllions in cashes, its most hard!

Nice job. [give us some tips kkk]

alfie oberk

alfie oberk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very nice to have them in CardChat and Welcome Collin and Katie
can't wait to see your videos and learn new technique

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And Alienat3d thought HE was late! Haha..

A very belated welcome to you both, very pleased to see you join the cardschat community.

Now that I know you're here I look forward to enjoying your AMA thread soon.

*applause*

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And Alienat3d thought HE was late! Haha..

A very belated welcome to you both, very pleased to see you join the cardschat community.

Now that I know you're here I look forward to enjoying your AMA thread soon.

*applause*

Aw thanks very much! Hope you like the AMA thread too :)

Bleubi12

Bleubi12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome I hope to benefit from your experience

K

krypto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome Katie and Collin to cards chat it’s nice to have some experts on hand for some questions and answer

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Bleubi, Krypto, and Warrior, we appreciate the welcome!