Wager sizes

A

Atodaso204

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play more tight when you wager more? If so, do you think it affects your play?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m assuming wager size you mean cost to enter tournaments and not the size of your wager during tournaments.

In that case, I think a lot of players will play tighter and hope to at least min cash if the stakes are high enough. For example if you normally play $5-10 tournaments and you win a satellite to a $109 tournament, I’d think a lot of people will be looking to just get into the money as a min cash there is a lot relative to their normal stakes played. That said, you shouldn’t be playing on a regular basis tournaments that are too high relative to your bankroll as this will adversely affect your game. Remember, only play tournaments at stakes you can afford to lose. In my case, this means freerolls. Lol.

Best of luck.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The size of the bet affects the psychology of the player and accordingly affects the game. But I usually play in tournaments, with a buy-in of no more than $ 10, so I do not feel any negative impact.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It affects me total, especially when my last dollars are involved. And it's not just about playing tight, I also bet in places that I wouldn't bet on trying to bluff where there is no bluff. It feels like I'm playing off me. Although it is out of my bankroll I feel that I play well until 11, but my best guess is between 3.30 and 7.50, too bad that my bankroll was never enough for these tournaments, I am doing well but I lose them in downsizing, I feel that below 3.30 I generally despise, and above 11 I give more value.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the size of the buy-in would be so high as to affect my game, I won't play in that game. There are times when it is absolutely the most +EV move to risk all the money on the table. There are even times when it is most +EV to risk all your money when you will win less than 50% of the time. If I am not willing and able to make those plays, because the amount lost would hurt too much, then I am playing a weaker game than I should. Why would I want to play worse in a more expensive game? It is better to find a game which fits comfortably in my bankroll and be willing to play those spots correctly.

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we talk about the game, I usually use different sizes of bets, in different situations, but if I need to knock a player out of the distribution, then I prefer to go 2, 3 banks or more, if I just inflate the bank with the nuts, then 1/2, 2/3 banks. If we talk about buy-in for tournaments, then I play micro-limits so far, and my admission fees do not greatly affect my game.

A

Atodaso204

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, im talking about the wager to get in. These are all very good replies... Hmm what about if it's free (if you qualify) to get in but final table has 3 thousand 1st place and what not? I think I fold the wrong hands. Can you actually learn from making a bad fold?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, im talking about the wager to get in. These are all very good replies... Hmm what about if it's free (if you qualify) to get in but final table has 3 thousand 1st place and what not? I think I fold the wrong hands. Can you actually learn from making a bad fold?

I have an example of just that. I got into an Absolute Poker freeroll back in the day. The prize pool was insanely high for a freeroll. First place was like $5,000. That's high for a freeroll. It paid 54 places. When we got down to 56 people, I was in 56th place. I decided to just hold on until I got to 54 and made $7 (or whatever it was). Then I just keep holding on... trying to ladder my way up. $12, $18, $27, etc. Finally, we got down to 10 people, and I decided if I got to the final table, I would just play. Well, I did. I got to the final table and had a $125ish prize for sure. I was last in chips. But, I decided to play for first.

No worries about things now. I got it down to three handed, and I had more chips than the other two combined. Three bad beats in a row, and I was out in 3rd. I wouldn't play the hands differently, though. I won like $1,500 and I have never been so angry to win that much money. It felt like I had lost $3.5k, not won as much as I did. It's funny, because a couple hours earlier, I was thrilled to win $7. This was one of the moments where I realized that tournament poker is not really good for my mental state.

Edit: It has been a while, so the numbers might be off. It was a $10,000 freeroll. And, I am pretty sure the payouts started at 54 people. So, if I could find absolute's payout schedule, we could get the real numbers.

Last edited:
ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bets

The higher the stakes or buy in I think most people will play tighter . Also in higher stakes games or tourneys there is a lot less bingo players and better players that you are matched against.

Cheers all ! :D

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I play in tournaments that are too high, it will surely affect me a lot. I will play tighter and rarely try to bluff. So the result is often not good. Now I always focus on sticking to my usual stakes. Besides, in the higher stakes, I realize they often play more aggressively on preflop than lower stakes. They often 3bet or 4bet fold a lot.

A

Atodaso204

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have an example of just that. I got into an Absolute Poker freeroll back in the day. The prize pool was insanely high for a freeroll. First place was like $5,000. That's high for a freeroll. It paid 54 places. When we got down to 56 people, I was in 56th place. I decided to just hold on until I got to 54 and made $7 (or whatever it was). Then I just keep holding on... trying to ladder my way up. $12, $18, $27, etc. Finally, we got down to 10 people, and I decided if I got to the final table, I would just play. Well, I did. I got to the final table and had a $125ish prize for sure. I was last in chips. But, I decided to play for first.

No worries about things now. I got it down to three handed, and I had more chips than the other two combined. Three bad beats in a row, and I was out in 3rd. I wouldn't play the hands differently, though. I won like $1,500 and I have never been so angry to win that much money. It felt like I had lost $3.5k, not won as much as I did. It's funny, because a couple hours earlier, I was thrilled to win $7. This was one of the moments where I realized that tournament poker is not really good for my mental state.

Edit: It has been a while, so the numbers might be off. It was a $10,000 freeroll. And, I am pretty sure the payouts started at 54 people. So, if I could find absolute's payout schedule, we could get the real numbers.

That's hilarious! Great story. Also very impressive. $1100 from a freeroll that's nice.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each tournament you must play equally well, regardless of the buy-in and skill of your opponents.

There is nothing worse than playing for the last money, playing for fear of losing money. You will be very constrained in the game, less aggressive, too tight that will give your opponents the opportunity to exploit your game.:)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything affects my game, right up to the flies flying by:D:D:D

A

Atodaso204

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each tournament you must play equally well, regardless of the buy-in and skill of your opponents.

There is nothing worse than playing for the last money, playing for fear of losing money. You will be very constrained in the game, less aggressive, too tight that will give your opponents the opportunity to exploit your game.:)
Yeah I've learned this by experience you cant be scared to lose. You got some good advice! Your name is familiar have we played at a table? On 888?

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play the same way at any limit, but in some cases, having a monster hand may raise it too much and fail to get the most out of it. In that case, the desire to be able to make big pots and increase my profits ends up playing against me.