Villain 3bets, you reshove or call when pot commit?ted

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you ever cold call a 3bet when you know you are pot commited.

Say you have 12BB. You bet 2.2BB from mid position. Villain from the botton raise to 7.7BB.

Is it better to call the 7.7BB and do a stop and go, and all in on the flop? Assuming you have a decent hand like a 88s.

I am sure many would say they would have shoved the 99s. That hypothetically that isn't the question. :rolleyes:

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that with hand like 88s it's a good idea to call the raise. The Villain could have much stronger pair or hands like AK, AQ which have quite good chances to beat your hand

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! 88 is not a bad hand for opening the flop, but you need to know at least approximately the range of the villain’s game, but the game is always a risk, played in the tournament yesterday and with me three with AA lost their stacks. Sincerely, Sergey.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you ever cold call a 3bet when you know you are pot commited.

Say you have 12BB. You bet 2.2BB from mid position. Villain from the botton raise to 7.7BB.

Is it better to call the 7.7BB and do a stop and go, and all in on the flop? Assuming you have a decent hand like a 88s.

I am sure many would say they would have shoved the 99s. That hypothetically that isn't the question. :rolleyes:

I'm a little puzzled by your question. You are asking should you put another 5.5bbs in the pot to call leaving you with 4.3bbs? And then what, you plan to bet your tiny remaining stack on the flop. I can't see what your strategy would accomplish. If your opponent bet 7.7bbs pre-flop he sure isn't going to back down after the flop to a 4.3bb bet.

Your only choices here is fold or shove pre-flop and, with 12bbs and pocket 8's a shove is the only play to consider.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a little puzzled by your question. You are asking should you put another 5.5bbs in the pot to call leaving you with 4.3bbs? And then what, you plan to bet your tiny remaining stack on the flop. I can't see what your strategy would accomplish. If your opponent bet 7.7bbs pre-flop he sure isn't going to back down after the flop to a 4.3bb bet.

Your only choices here is fold or shove pre-flop and, with 12bbs and pocket 8's a shove is the only play to consider.

Think that is the objective of a stop and go. And wondering would this create more fold equity.

The idea is if you reraise pre flop, the villain would call for certainty. But if the villain brick hard on the flop say AQS or 9s hand that came out as K76 of hearts.

Then it makes calling on the flop vs a flop much harder with only 2 cards to improve.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think that is the objective of a stop and go. And wondering would this create more fold equity.

The idea is if you reraise pre flop, the villain would call for certainty. But if the villain brick hard on the flop say AQS or 9s hand that came out as K76 of hearts.

Then it makes calling on the flop vs a flop much harder with only 2 cards to improve.

Thank U 4 posting

The issue with your strategy is the limited number of players that would check the flop and then fold getting 4-1 with no further bets possible by U.

Stop and go is most effective to get folds when the V has to call multiple large bets post flop and does not want to jeopardize their stack. Non of those factors are present in this situation. On your example AQ calls just in case you bet AJ on that flop or as you had 88 and V would be gettin 4-1 the exact odds AQ needs to profitably call U

Hope this helps
:):)

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 posting

The issue with your strategy is the limited number of players that would check the flop and then fold getting 4-1 with no further bets possible by U.

Stop and go is most effective to get folds when the V has to call multiple large bets post flop and does not want to jeopardize their stack. Non of those factors are present in this situation. On your example AQ calls just in case you bet AJ on that flop or as you had 88 and V would be gettin 4-1 the exact odds AQ needs to profitably call U

Hope this helps
:):)

So in essence if you are committed to go all in, it doesn't matter are we going all in preflop or going all in on the flop?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So in essence if you are committed to go all in, it doesn't matter are we going all in preflop or going all in on the flop?

Thank you for posting

At this stack depth we actually want to go all in pre if we are going all in no matter what. Just shove and start your anti tilt strategies so you can be ready to limit any emotions that might pop up

Hope this helps

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this specific scenario that you said, I think it makes no difference whether to pay or to shovar since on any floop you will have to bog down too. Because for example if you have 12 bbs and you pay a 3bet out of 7 for example even if it is a board with A, K, or Q you will have to pay because folding to cbet or a shove would be a crime for being involved with the pot, so it doesn't matter whether you pay or shovar as both of you will not fold anymore.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stop 'n go.

villain is calling a 4bet jam 100% of the time. villain is calling a stop 'n go jam majority of the time. however, stop 'n go gives us a bit of fold equity against flops villain completely bricks.

it's a small chance of villain folding to a stop n' go jam, but it's still there. the odds of villain calling a jam pre/post flop is likely 100% v 99%, but that 1% gives the stop 'n go a slight edge.

Last edited:
EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am shoving pre when I have 12bb

theRaven68

theRaven68