To value bet or not to value bet

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Value betting can have a funny way of turning into value dumping to the next players stack. You get your chips in with two pair thinking its the best hand, bet flop, get a caller, bet a turn, get a caller, check a river and call a bet only to see that your opponent catches up with a straight or a flush or a set or what have you. My point is that it's not just two pair that can be a value-bet gone bad. Say you hit a set on a all-suited board. It might not be a good idea to value bet. In fact, you may not be value betting at all because getting a caller can mean a number of things. He can have you drawing dead to rights with a nut flush, meaning the board will have to pair for you to win and getting all your chips all in is about the same as rolling in roullette. Point is Im finding its better to play more pots to the end, but without getting all my money in too early. Poker is a game of longevity.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure if you know what semi bluffing is but it's kind of knowing that you probably don't have the best hand now but you might improve by the river, of your opponent might fold by the river. So betting with a bad hand can be a valid option.
Also in your example with 2 pairs if your oponent catches a straight in on the river when you made good bets on flop and turn that is a good play for you everytime. He won't catch that straight everytime you play so you are making money on the long term.

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Value betting can have a funny way of turning into value dumping to the next players stack. You get your chips in with two pair thinking its the best hand, bet flop, get a caller, bet a turn, get a caller, check a river and call a bet only to see that your opponent catches up with a straight or a flush or a set or what have you. My point is that it's not just two pair that can be a value-bet gone bad. Say you hit a set on a all-suited board. It might not be a good idea to value bet. In fact, you may not be value betting at all because getting a caller can mean a number of things. He can have you drawing dead to rights with a nut flush, meaning the board will have to pair for you to win and getting all your chips all in is about the same as rolling in roullette. Point is Im finding its better to play more pots to the end, but without getting all my money in too early. Poker is a game of longevity.

I agree with you. It's such a fine line. The bad thing about not betting the flop and turn is that we aren't getting any information about our opponents hand strength. By betting we at least get an idea of our opponents hand range. Also by betting we make them pay for drawing hands that can beat us, and by betting they just might fold and give us the pot.

J

Joeypop82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Value bet is always scarry when ur 90% sure u have the hand but have a player that will push just cuz they have chips in the pot!