Using Your Username Against Players

I

IfishUcry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My user name is IfishUCry, and I play very tight at tables, nobody expects me to have great hands, and they'll call me down thinking I was fishing for something. It is very easy to use your name to your advantage.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My user name is IfishUCry, and I play very tight at tables, nobody expects me to have great hands, and they'll call me down thinking I was fishing for something. It is very easy to use your name to your advantage.

I think you overrate the power of your username. Statement "nobody expects me to have great hands" is so strong :D I mean if you play very tight, people will notice in first 10 or 20 hands, if you only will play one or two hands :) And those fishes which you could catch actually dont give a damn about usernames. They dont give a damn about anything, they will call you with their bottom pair anyway :D

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the poker table you need to use everything to win, why can't it beat Your name?)) I would not be very had hoped))))

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Ахах)) I'd like to see the game

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Haha I really like your username but I find it totally irrelevant with your table image. Apparently there are more important factors which are able to determine that for you. :)

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most players assume the user name is a false lead. So tightywhitey is a loose player and any2 plays very tight, so I agree with these comments that user name is only an identifier and most players judge you on your play, not your name.

2NaCl

2NaCl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My username is 2NaCl (as in Salt), defines my salty character overall but also adds some funny uniqueness and its nice and short.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't see this working at anything other than maybe the microest of micro stakes.

A

atila1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
name cant have influence on game, some are funny some less funny. i relay dont like avatars with kids pictures in it.

charles2183

charles2183

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You right

I can see this working very favorably in you favor. I had a account on full-tilt my poker name was chas2thend and people would call me on flush draws and straight draws...

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see this having a lot of credibility, it's simply your own perception of how others will view you. Granted, it might work on some not very bright players out there but as others above have mentioned, most good players will assess you based on how you play at the table.
It's like applying for job with an email like HonestHardWorker@blahblah.com. Would anyone with a logical mind actually hire this person based on their email address and without an interview? If anything, I believe these types of usernames make players look unprofessional.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I think you overrate the power of your username. Statement "nobody expects me to have great hands" is so strong :D I mean if you play very tight, people will notice in first 10 or 20 hands, if you only will play one or two hands :) And those fishes which you could catch actually dont give a damn about usernames. They dont give a damn about anything, they will call you with their bottom pair anyway :D

Haha I really like your username but I find it totally irrelevant with your table image. Apparently there are more important factors which are able to determine that for you. :)

I can't see this working at anything other than maybe the microest of micro stakes.

Agree with all of the above, I get them calling because they want to see me dance, don't mess with a dancer, we can tap dance on your hands.

SMH :eek:

Matanzima

Matanzima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think that many players value too many factors in the online game.

It's a cool nick, but both nicks / images and aggressive posture (talking a lot with the opponent) are easily overcome.

Images can be blocked, chat balloons too, and nicks do not interfere with observer players

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mate my names is damn NUTTHINK and everybody always caught me doing bluff... they dont believe me.. stupid nut..

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed that many times it is actually other way round. If I begin and see someone who has "fish" written in their name, it doesn't take too long to realize that they are actually tight. This has even being written in some poker book about online tells.

There was this one quy whose name was "ITripleBarrell" and well, he never did, so it was quite obvious that he didn't live up to his name. But just like almost everyone said, I wouldn't valuate my name that strongly. It really doesn't matter against anyone who has at least some knowledge about the game. And if someone is stupid enough to call just because someone has a fishy name, they are probably stupid enough to call with bad hands anyway.

SlimHeperpokerstars

SlimHeperpokerstars

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do not think that your nickname can misinform experienced players, it can only act full of inadequacies) I believe that this is misleading)

macthemax

macthemax

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
When I play the most important for me is the hand of cards I got, the names of my opponents don't intrest me.

ezgift

ezgift

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally nick does not play any role) look at my))) no gifts I have not given yet no one))

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say that i can't agree with you, reason - my screenname at poker stars is *D0ntPu$h* and people just love to steal my blinds :D Mby poker players like to be chalenged, idk :p

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I want to change my name into "Nobody"

so anyone I beat will say "Nobody beats me" :D

Z

zannie27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely!! One of my screen names is The Indian Burn.. LOL.. I don't think people know how to take it but after a big hand I love saying "Feel the burrrn" or something silly like that it usually makes people mad and throws them off their game..

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely!! One of my screen names is The Indian Burn.. LOL.. I don't think people know how to take it but after a big hand I love saying "Feel the burrrn" or something silly like that it usually makes people mad and throws them off their game..

Hmmm sounds like you are playing with a bunch of elementary schools kids! [emoji6]

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is some validity to this, but not as strong as the OP is claiming. Subconsciously the names make people think whether they want to or not. When someone is new to the table that is really the only information you have until you play a few rounds with them to see how they are actually playing.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quick,change your name to `Don`t call`! lmao :damnmate:

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I too never really noticed anyone who lives up to their nick consistently. Got to watch them a bit to make up your mind