University or job or poker? Can they be compatible?

C

ComboCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already finished the university. Now if to play poker. Is someone in a similar situation with the university or the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a great game to have a good time. In order to rest after work. If you are seriously going to play poker, then you will need a lot of discipline, patience and time.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker for your living is a hell.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do all 3! Get you education and work enough to make sure you're comfortable. After that take shots at tournaments that would change your life with a win like million dollar guarantees and live series and what not. GL!

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend keeping poker as a side job. Playing it full time is taxing, grueling and actually can sap your social life. The hours needed to play to make a profitable living can be even more than a normal 40hr week job.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, you can do them all and many players in past past have.

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is compatible you just have to be strict with the time you dedicate

Limited_Al

Limited_Al

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have a career safety net!

I didn’t get into poker until I had finished my degree and achieved higher status in my engineering career. Not out of choice, I just wasn’t introduced to it. I did play a lot of warhanmer and magic the gathering though (bit of a geek haha!)

I play about two hours of poker a night, but it is always classed as a hobby. I’ll give it my all, and try to one day make the World Series, but I’ll always work a 50 hour week to pay the bills/ mortgage.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are good at playing poker and winning then you can play constantly and try to win money, but if you just want to spend time, you can play a couple of hours, but for a constant poker game you need the desire to play a lot of patience and a lot of free time , if you have all this, then why not play and not win!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think it is best to combine poker and work. The job will bring you the main stable income, and poker will be an additional income. Over time, you will understand where you have more profits and you can make a choice.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's better to find a job that will be as compatible as possible with poker. Having a stable income at work, you will be able to play at higher limits than you would have been able to afford without having other incomes.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
If at the moment you do not have a profit from the game, then you will be better off finding a job, and playing poker in your free time.
Good luck.

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough to consistently earn enough to live off from poker alone. It is possible but I'd recommend working with poker as a second income.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As i see you have finished your university degree so i recommend you to find a job related to your education. It is much easier to do that directly after finishing university than later. Regarding poker - keep in mind that only a few percent of all players are so good that they can have enough income for live. Of course it is possible you to be one of them but i recommend first to find a good job so that you have stable source of income and then play poker and try to improve. If at some stage you start getting much more money from poker than from your job you can easily switch to this as your main job.