Unfair PS tournament rule

TexGuy

TexGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two of us were eliminated in the same hand in a Sit and Go. My set beat her pair. However she went out in 4th place (ITM) and I was 5th (Bubbled). We were beat by a straight.

She had 1600 in chips while I only had 1500. That's why she finished better. In my opinion this is not a good rule. I had the second-best hand. Heads-up I would have beat her.

I'm sure y'all have experience with this and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has been absolutely standard for forever, AFAIK.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so if your opponent had 1600 chips and you had 10 chips would you still be thinking that you should have got 4th?

it's not an 'unfair PS rule' it's a 'completely standard tournament rule'.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think this is only a pokerstars rule...this is how payouts are made everywhere.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two of us were eliminated in the same hand in a Sit and Go. My set beat her pair. However she went out in 4th place (ITM) and I was 5th (Bubbled). We were beat by a straight.

She had 1600 in chips while I only had 1500. That's why she finished better. In my opinion this is not a good rule. I had the second-best hand. Heads-up I would have beat her.

There's no such thing as 2nd place in a hand. You either have the best hand or a losing hand (this goes for each pot, so if there are side pots obviously multiple winning hands).

In this example there were 2 pots. One pot was between the 3 of you and one pot was between the other 2. The side pot is decided first, and you lose it. You are now eliminated. Then the player with the pair loses that hand and the rest of her chips to the straight. That means she's eliminated. That's the justification behind it and it's a standard rule in all tourneys, not just Pokerstars tourneys.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, maybe is not standard for all sites, because 2 week ago in a 3 way all in happen this to me in fulltilt, was MTT, i have more chips and best hand than the other that also get kick out and i end in a place down, the other player ended in 8 and i ended in 9.

So, maybe each site take his own policy.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, maybe is not standard for all sites, because 2 week ago in a 3 way all in happen this to me in fulltilt, was MTT, i have more chips and best hand than the other that also get kick out and i end in a place down, the other player ended in 9 and i ended in 10.

Post the Hand history please ?

Yep totally standard tourney rule, everywhere.

TexGuy

TexGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no such thing as 2nd place in a hand. You either have the best hand or a losing hand (this goes for each pot, so if there are side pots obviously multiple winning hands).

In this example there were 2 pots. One pot was between the 3 of you and one pot was between the other 2. The side pot is decided first, and you lose it. You are now eliminated. Then the player with the pair loses that hand and the rest of her chips to the straight. That means she's eliminated. That's the justification behind it and it's a standard rule in all tourneys, not just Pokerstars tourneys.

I appreciate the explanation. :)

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, maybe is not standard for all sites, because 2 week ago in a 3 way all in happen this to me in fulltilt, was MTT, i have more chips and best hand than the other that also get kick out and i end in a place down, the other player ended in 8 and i ended in 9.

Have not seen this on any site, including the 2 years I've played on Full Tilt. A HH would help, but stack sizes are always the determining factor in order of finishes.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol thats how all tourneys are played

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I'm not buying this for a moment, you must have misread the hands. Post a hands history of this hand and we'll be happy to help you sort out the details of why things went down the way they did.

To quote Zach because he is perfectly correct: "There's no such thing as 2nd place in a hand. You either have the best hand or a losing hand (this goes for each pot, so if there are side pots obviously multiple winning hands).

In this example there were 2 pots. One pot was between the 3 of you and one pot was between the other 2. The side pot is decided first, and you lose it. You are now eliminated. Then the player with the pair loses that hand and the rest of her chips to the straight. That means she's eliminated. That's the justification behind it and it's a standard rule in all tourneys, not just Pokerstars tourneys."

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a rule in every poker tournament ever played or will ever be played anywhere in the world..... She had more chips, so she was one place higher than you, thefore she got knocked out "after" you.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has always confused me a bit. Can anyone break it down please? The hand winner had over 1600 chips to start with, or else the woman who went out 8th would still have some chips left, right? So who is the side pot between (it's betw the OP and the winner, right?) and for how much? Or are all 3 in the side pot, but she still has 100 chips left, which she THEN goes on to lose to the straight, thus going out after the OP? In other words, the side pot is 1500 each, the lowest stack's entirety? No, that makes no sense. I'm just not seeing the need for the side pot if the hand winner had you both covered.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 3 players AI, unless 2+ players have equal chips, there will always be 2 pots. 1st pot has the maximum chips that the low stack may win and is contested between the low stack, middle stack and high stack. The 2nd pot is the additional chips that the middle stack may win and is contested between the middle stack and the high stack.

Last edited:
Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 3 players AI, unless 2+ players have equal chips, there will always be 2 pots. 1st pot has the chips that the low stack may win and is contested between the low stack, middle stack and high stack. The 2nd pot is the chips that the middle stack may win and is contested between the middle stack and the high stack.

Thanks Jilly. But still not fully understanding. Are you saying that the 2nd pot is the side pot? If so, the woman finishing 8th would have to be either the middle or high stack. If the OP is the high stack, he'd get her chips first, and would not be out at all. If the winner with the straight was the high stack, she'd be out first. Now... if the 1st pot you refer to is actually the side pot, then the guy with the straight was the chip leader of the 3. In which case, I'd see no reason for a side pot. Bottom line, I'd need to know which of the 2 was the side pot, and how many chips the hand winner had to fully grasp all this.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the side pot is the one between MS & HS but for the purposes of finishing order it doesn't matter as both pots complete simultaneously and LS & MS both exit the tournament at the same time. Since they both exit at the same time one goes back to the start of the hand before ante's & blinds to determine who finishes higher.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Jilly. But still not fully understanding. Are you saying that the 2nd pot is the side pot? If so, the woman finishing 8th would have to be either the middle or high stack. If the OP is the high stack, he'd get her chips first, and would not be out at all. If the winner with the straight was the high stack, she'd be out first. Now... if the 1st pot you refer to is actually the side pot, then the guy with the straight was the chip leader of the 3. In which case, I'd see no reason for a side pot. Bottom line, I'd need to know which of the 2 was the side pot, and how many chips the hand winner had to fully grasp all this.

Main pot: all 3

Side pot: bigger 2 stacks

Let's use an example:

player A: 2000 chips
Player B: 1000 chips
Player C: 100 chips

they get all-in preflop and players C and B are all-in

Main pot: 300 chips (100 from each)

Side pot: 1800 chips (900 from each of A and B)

First the main pot is resolved. Player A wins that pot, player B loses 100 chips, as does player C. Player C now has no more chips left and loses.

Now the side pot is resolved. Player A wins that pot, player B loses all 900 and now has no more chips left and loses.

Since player C was eliminated before player B, player C is in a lower place than B. Note that at no time during this did it matter whether player A had B beat or not. Player A could have royal flush, C could have K-high straight flush, and player B could have J-high. The only thing that matters is the first place finisher in any pot, and at no point are B and C HU in a pot.

angiedubs

angiedubs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fair & long-standing tourney rule as others have mentioned. You both were beat by a better hand & the lower chip-stack @ start of hand finished lower place. That's fair.

V

vagas35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If only you had folded:D

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In this example there were 2 pots. One pot was between the 3 of you and one pot was between the other 2. The MAIN pot is decided first, and you lost it along with all of your chips. You are now eliminated. Then the player with the pair loses that hand and the rest of her chips to the straight. Now she's eliminated. That's the justification behind it and it's a standard rule in all tourneys, not just Pokerstars tourneys."
Corrected my post, no idea why I screwed up and typed side pot the first time....

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First the main pot is resolved. Player A wins that pot, player B loses 100 chips, as does player C. Player C now has no more chips left and loses.

Now the side pot is resolved. Player A wins that pot, player B loses all 900 and now has no more chips left and loses.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Main pot is always last to be resolved. In fact, side pots are resolved in the reverse order they were created. So if you had:

Main pot: 4 players
Side pot 1: 3 players
Side pot 2: 2 players

Then side pot 2 would be resolved first followed by side pot 1 followed finally by the main pot. And the online sites do it this way as well.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm#SECTION_15_-_TOURNAMENTS

http://www.homepokertourney.com/allin_examples.htm

And it isn't about when a player was eliminated in the hand. The person that started the hand (at any table in the tournament even) with the most chips gets the higher finish. And it makes sense to do it that way as well. The shorter stack can never eliminate the larger stack on a single hand, so in the case where both short and middle are removed at the same time the extra credit is given to the middle stack that was eliminated by a larger stack but would never have been eliminated by the shorter stack.

In fact, this rule isn't just about sidepots either. This is also why they have hand-for-hand play on the bubble. When you're on the bubble playing hand-for-hand and one person is eliminated at each of three different tables to bust the bubble, of those three the one that started with the fewest chips will be the bubble boy and the other two will cash.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, I have to disagree. Main pot is always last to be resolved. In fact, side pots are resolved in the reverse order they were created. So if you had:

Main pot: 4 players
Side pot 1: 3 players
Side pot 2: 2 players

Then side pot 2 would be resolved first followed by side pot 1 followed finally by the main pot. And the online sites do it this way as well.

^ this.

It's probably the most important thing I got drilled into me when I was learning to deal. Do it any other way, and pots start getting given to the wrong people.

When you're on the bubble playing hand-for-hand and one person is eliminated at each of three different tables to bust the bubble, of those three the one that started with the fewest chips will be the bubble boy and the other two will cash.

Some live tournaments will treat this a little differently - I know at the Aussie Millions main event, for the past two years they've had two people eliminated on the same hand to burst the bubble during hand-for-hand play. Both years they split the prize money for the lowest cashing place between the two players. I suspect this is mostly an issue with not knowing exact stack sizes across multiple tables though, a problem you're never going to encounter online where there are firm hand histories etc.

Last edited:
S

supercilious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds like it went down by the book, I am fascinated by the Aussie Millions split pot deal though. I would like to know if they are just weird in Australia or if it was simply them not tracking stacks across multiple tables...

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some live tournaments will treat this a little differently - I know at the Aussie Millions main event, for the past two years they've had two people eliminated on the same hand to burst the bubble during hand-for-hand play. Both years they split the prize money for the lowest cashing place between the two players. I suspect this is mostly an issue with not knowing exact stack sizes across multiple tables though, a problem you're never going to encounter online where there are firm hand histories etc.
Damn aussies...there they go, screwing things up again. ;) Actually that was very nice of them, regardless of why they did it (though I suspect you're right about not knowing the chip counts). It would be interesting to know if in the Aussie Millions example if the stacks were at least somewhat close. I mean it would be silly to do what they did if one guy had only a couple $1k chips left and the other guy had $200k in chips. But if they both had mounds of chips then I can see it making sense.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a good question. Do they actually tally the stack size of all the players at each table when they go out? I just don't see how they could logistically handle all the tables at once. I have not participated in a large live tournament so I would be interested to see how they do it.

Poker Rules - Poker Games