u can not make them fold

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lot of people ask how to make opponents fold so they cannot suck out.

Here is a long story. It will be meaningless to some. To others, it may resonate and really help.

In my 20s and early 30s I practiced an old, particularly brutal martial art. For those who have never practiced a martial art, there is a lot more to it then learning how to hit things. Most of the old ones are complete lifestyles in and of themselves. They teach you how to handle every moment of your life, not just some physical confrontation.

I was at a seminar given by a teacher whom I had trained with several times in the past. He was a good martial artist, but he was an outstanding teacher. Whenever I trained with him I was certain to learn something important.

We were practicing omote-gyaku, a type of wrist lock that twists the hand to the outside, away from the body. A common use of this would be to take an opponent to the ground.

Several of us had practiced the art for years, and had done omote-gyaku drills for many, many hours. Our partner would strike, we would slide to the side getting control of the hand as the strike misses, perform omote-gyaku and take our partner to the ground.

But a lot of people were new to the art. Their partners would strike and they would get control of the hand and try to perform omote-gyaku. But instead of taking the partner to the ground, they would wind up staring face-to-face with their partner while twisting his wrist.

The teacher sees that a lot of people are having trouble and he calls for attention. He calls for a partner and tells the class to pay close attention. The partner strikes, the teacher flawlessly performs omote-gyaku and takes the partner down. He asks, "What happened?"

The class: "Er . . . you did omote-gyaku to him and you made him fall down."

Teacher: "No. Watch again."

And the same thing occurs. The partner strikes, the teacher performs flawless omote-gyaku and down goes the partner.

Teacher: "What happened?"

The class: "Um . . . you did omote-gyaku to him and made him fall down."

Teacher: "No. Watch one more time."

And the same thing occurs.

Teacher: "Anyone?"

The class just fidgets.

Teacher: "I did omote-gyaku to him and he CHOSE to fall down. Because the other CHOICE I gave him was to stand there and let me break his wrist."

The teacher then took a few minutes to describe that the new people were moving the wrist to the outside, but they were not applying sufficient pressure on the wrist. They were just hoping the partner would fall. So they were giving their partner the choice of falling down or standing up and having their wrist lightly twisted. Most just chose to stand there.

The light goes on in the new people's eyes and back they go to practice and, sure enough, they start taking their partners to the ground.

But I and a handful of the other students had been doing this for years. We knew this already (although we could not put it in such words.)

But the lesson was not quite over. The teacher turned to the 6 advanced students and said something which changed my entire approach to life ever since.

Teacher: "No one can MAKE anyone do ANYTHING. All we can ever do is make it easier or harder for people to make certain choices."

And then the light went on in our eyes. How many times in my life have I heard people complain, "How can I make so and so do such and such?" You cannot. All you can do is make it easier for them to make the choice you want them to make and harder for them to make the choice you do not want them to make. But, in the end, the choice will still be theirs to make.

You cannot make someone fold. You can make it harder for them to stay in the hand by forcing them to commit far more chips than it is worth. But, in the end, some will make the choice to stay. By forcing them to commit more chips than it is worth, you will be money-ahead in the long run.

Do your best to properly influence their choices.

S

sharpone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy lost me with the martial arts comments but i know there has to be a art to making people fold. I think its has to be an ever changing cycle its never the same, sometimes aggression pays off and other times a small caculated bet will get people fold. But you got to feel it out, because you never know lol:deal:

U

Ultrazord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy lost me with the martial arts comments but i know there has to be a art to making people fold. I think its has to be an ever changing cycle its never the same, sometimes aggression pays off and other times a small caculated bet will get people fold. But you got to feel it out, because you never know lol:deal:

To sum it up - You bend the opponents wrist, he makes a choice to fall rather then have a broken wrist.

You bend your opponents chip stack by betting, he makes a choice to fold rather then make a bad call and go broke.

Good example - I always find it interesting when people get really upset someone made a horrible call. I always just say nice hand. Sure it sucks, but I know in the long run I will break that guy.

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked your story, I already knew this approach and tell sometimes to people that no one decides for them nothing, like if someone angry says you made me angry, I tell him that only he can make himself angry. it's always in our hands to control if we get angry or happy or sad, but we used to react automatically to events like we has no choice, but with practice of meditation or martial arts or some other wisdom, we can gain a full control of our lives.

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ty know it was kinda off beat but it is just something to think about when ur playin or grindin those long hours .

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good illustration! True, all we can do is put the pressure on and hope the opponent folds. But we must be willing to apply the presure!

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good illustration! True, all we can do is put the pressure on and hope the opponent folds. But we must be willing to apply the presure!

And be prepared to break their wrist if they don't

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ty know it was kinda off beat but it is just something to think about when ur playin or grindin those long hours .

I think it was a perfect example.
Thank you ..........

:cool:

Yes
And remember they may at times have more skill then you.
When you grab there wrist they may counteract and take you down fast and hard.

:D :D :D

Just like poker.
Be Careful of some players as they will school you.
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

I thought the story was a perfect example and you can apply it not only to poker but to life in general.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Good Luck at the tables.

Folding in Poker