Turning Pro

DirkDgglr420

DirkDgglr420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been reading lots of threads on players turning pro... I 'll say this, If someone is paying you to do your job and that happens to be poker then you have a claim. All these self proclaimed "Pro's" need to realize staking yourself into poker and winning doesn't make you professional. Does Tiger Woods have to finance his own golf career? Amateur athletes compete in the Olympics and such events. They play the sport the love and one day it's possible to turn pro make a career earn some money.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pros become pros by investing in themselves first and foremost. as pros succeed, then the sponsorships come into play, but being a pro means doing what they are doing and training full time. without the investing in yourself, you're not going to become a pro. think your own definition of being a pro needs to be revised.

DirkDgglr420

DirkDgglr420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pros become pros by investing in themselves first and foremost. as pros succeed, then the sponsorships come into play, but being a pro means doing what they are doing and training full time. without the investing in yourself, you're not going to become a pro. think your own definition of being a pro needs to be revised.

professional

[prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l]

ADJECTIVE

• engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

"a professional boxer"

synonyms:

paid · salaried · nonamateur · full-time

• worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skillful, or assured.

"their music is both memorable and professional" ·
    [more]

synonyms:

expert · accomplished · skillful · adept · masterly · masterful · excellent · fine ·
    [more

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as Stephen King defined a professional writer as someone who can pay their light bill solely with their earnings as a writer, the same applies to anyone who wants to call themselves a professional poker player.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as Stephen King defined a professional writer as someone who can pay their light bill solely with their earnings as a writer, the same applies to anyone who wants to call themselves a professional poker player.
Except I'm sure it took a while to get published and pay the bills from writing. I think, for poker in particular, since you will definitely have downswings, it's easier, financially, if you have a part time job at the beginning. Something you don't hate very much, but something that allows you to pay at least a part of the bills.