Transition from recreational to professional/serious rec

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to start a discussion about transitioning from a recreational player to a professional or serious recreational player.

What do others perceive is the difference between a professional/serious rec and a recreational player? Is it results only? Is it a combination of results and knowledge of the game? Is it the ability to understand and apply theory? Is it the commitment to study?

From my understanding, some winning players don't study, even at the high stakes. Some players study hard but can't convert that to being a winning player.

Discuss...

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would just keep poker a lucrative hobby because once you turn it into a sole source of income your mood/emotions/mindset/life is based on swings of a predatory,dangerous,dark sometime degenerate game. Really dangerous structure to put yourself in.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those two situations are much different. Being recreational player means that you play as hobby for the fun. Being semi pro or pro means that poker is now your main source of income so you should invest much more time and efforts to constantly improve your game and be able to be on the top. I personally prefer the hobby approach and do not see myself as pro but who knows. :)