Tourneys for amateurs... which ones to play?

C

ComboCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to poker, they would help me with this information ...

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say play the free rolls a lot and learn how they work and how long they are and see how many chips you have to get at the final table and big the blinds are at the time very good luck to you

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
open account and play freerolls at 888, there are nice promotions with interesting awards in free tickets

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advise you to play freerolls if you are new and do not want to invest in poker, try to win money in freerolls and then buy knockout tournaments, this is a very good way to get money for knocking out players in tournaments!

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are VERY new I would suggest both freerolls and the smaller micro SnG’s with 18-90 players. This will allow you to test different kinds of tournaments and get a good feel for the style; without much investment.

Willroquefan

Willroquefan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I sugest you to play play money first,and then when you feel prepared to play real money do it well.

C

ComboCC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your answers, I will take them into cosider

Last edited:
Andrei Nesterenko1

Andrei Nesterenko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are currently very few good freerolls, so I advise you to make a minimum deposit

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not advise you to play conditional chips since playing there you get only a misconception about the game! the game there is only suitable for studying the basic moments of the game, namely what is the blind ante and combinations, no more

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see few people commenting in what might be cyrillic / russian.
Please note the thread starter is from mexico.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the fan,play on play money...

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are new to poker, I advise you to watch free workouts at PokerStarter, start playing freerolls, but not for conditional chips, read a few books, and you can find video trainings of various poker schools with parsing students hands

N

Narcotic35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you do, don't use play money. You will pick up a lot of bad habits that are difficult to loose: like thinking from 3BB to all-in is completely normal and limping is standard way of beginning a hand..... It's how micro players get very self-destructive (and annoying) ways of playing.

I know from experience :( I was one of those annoying players until I realized my play was totally useless. I hope I have improved since :p

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I started playing play money. It's useful to understand the relative value of hands, how to use the software and learn the different kind of players. You can play the freerolls too. You will find different players from the real money games, but the essence of the game is the same.When you achieve good results in these games and build a minimum bankroll, you can start playing 0,10 MTT or even 0,50 Sit and go.
You must avoid cash game and spin and go games.
And when you a time to do it, study the game. Here in Cardschat there is a very good material in the strategy articles session.

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trust me

I am new to poker, they would help me with this information ...

It would be good to start with virtual money to get into the pulse, to see how the players act, to know the styles of each, to play until you learn how to calculate the odds of winning without using computer odds, to play virtual money until you come to anticipate what book to come. I remember playing non-stop on virtual money, and at some point I had a few million chips in my account, and we were just waiting for Sunday to play with Barry Grenstein at virtual cash tables, it was a pleasure. ;);)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just found out:
- partypoker freerolls require a deposit to enable 'real money games'; including freerolls
Already knew:
- 888poker freerolls are for everyone, good value for effort
- pokerstars freerolls vanished from at least my tournament list

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is also unibet, there every 2 hours, too, bounty freerolls, for every knocked out player 0.02 cents

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I did on PS was playing the CC freeroll everyday and sometimes the SnG 0.25$. Nice and easy game to play, but takes some time. If you are used to play more tables, this should be a nice grind.

CforChampion

CforChampion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd definitely recommend freerolls if you aren't too sure about investing in poker yet.

I hear 888 have some good ones along with Unibet but I am a PokerStars player so I'm not too sure. :D

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like many have suggested, start with freerolls. Once you are consistently going deep, use your winnings to play small stake games. Read about managing your bankroll and work slowly up to larger stakes games. Read, study and play!

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls. There are no investments, and if there is free time and discipline, it is not so difficult to get into the prize. And in the later stages of tournaments-they are no different from tournaments for money.

S

Stevobjr87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im considered a amateur and the advice that most people are giving is the perfect advice. This is how i am practicing and i noticed my poker has been getting better. I recently played in a freeroll that was 10$ payout and lasted long enough to win real money. It was only $0.01 that i won but when i did win i realized the practice is paying off. So for others who are new id suggest the freerolls and before you know it you will improve. Good luck

S

Samsamsonite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start small and practice discipline. Set your rules(like 2 rebuys max) and don't break them.I learned the hard way.