Tournament winning strategy let's share our thoughts

Uuganbayar0629

Uuganbayar0629

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing poker many years ago :cool: but i never figured out all the strategies of other players ... can we put some nice simple strategies to help everyone on ♠️CardsChat♦️...:)

L

Lyubomirny

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like the ''ALL IN Strategy'' because it is not a strategy but a pure luck! Actually, this is the thing I hate most in MTT tournaments. Maybe all in is good in late stages with a short stack.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi there!

MTT's are my thang, I love them, live for them, eat them, breathe them and sleep them.

Note, that's sleep them, not sleep with them.

I don't sleep with anyone- that's how you get Cooties.

Some recent MTT results I can point at in attempt to validate my pompous opinions are:-

Last night- 12th out of a little under 5,000 in a $1.10 PKO on Stars.

Last week- 1st/4,000 in a CC freeroll on Stars.

Last year- Cashed in a tournament with a field of over 220,000.

Now that I feel quantified and qualified... Without further ado, onto my gems of MTT advices....

Win your flips.

Thanks for reading, that'll be $5 please.

A bargain, I'm sure you'll agree! :biggrin:

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT strategy. Yes, a simple strategy is to build up the stack to the middle by playing aggressively and taking a lot of risks. Then play with medium cards and risk a little and in the end play only with strong cards and eliminate the risk altogether. (This is my personal strategy, I was based on my experience and on my facts.)

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best strategy is to play every hand as good as you can.
To not alter your normal game unless there is a player which deviates a lot on the tight or aggressive side.
Also it's crucial to understand when your chips are more valuable and will give you a higher prize by folding (ICM).

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
avoid questionable all in at the start of tournament, too many people going All in with nothing and getting lucky.

Uuganbayar0629

Uuganbayar0629

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best strategy is to play every hand as good as you can.
To not alter your normal game unless there is a player which deviates a lot on the tight or aggressive side.
Also it's crucial to understand when your chips are more valuable and will give you a higher prize by folding (ICM).
Yea thats what i do as wel ...play every hand good as you can ...but sometimes i lose because of tournaments take too long and i get frustrated------------------- ♤♧◇♡

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no exact strategy to win tournaments, I have seen bad players, they play horrible, they do crazy things, but they are very lucky and win a tournament, maybe they were in their day and everything went well for them.
But if you study and strive to improve your game sooner or later you will be a winner in tournaments.

gl mate.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a hand analyzer run all of my hands to see if I was playing all of positions correctly against starting I choose to start with to identify any weakness in my
positional pre flop play. This is our first decision what hands will we take flops with?
After flop I going to play my hand according to the flop and the betting.
The better better pre flop decisions lead to less problems after the flop.

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Get more chips than the other people is the only real strategy ..

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
subpar, recreational micro-stakes ($0-$3 mostly) player with hundreds of final tables and ~25 mtt wins with $15k+ in mtt cashes. i late register with 25 bbs or less in all my games.
the strategy:
  • win flips
  • run good
  • stop worrying about min cashing

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Since I'm in a less flippant, devil-may-care mood than the last time I posted here, I'll offer you some more serious (and more expensive) advice...

When playing an MTT there are three words I try to keep in mind, in this order;

• POSITION

• AGGRESSION

• HAND SELECTION

By keeping in mind this 'mantra' (those three words in that order) our decisions are made easier and exactly how powerful our holding is in any given circumstance can be assessed in regards to positive expected value.

Start the early stages tighter but always be on the look out for and capitalise on spots were you can rake in chips.

Yes, survival is critical but so is building your stack as the blinds increase.

Using a TAG (occasionally even a hyper-TAG) strategy as default is, in my experience thus far, higher expected value but we can't always do the same thing and it's imperative in my opinion to switch up your play style in some way or other to avoid becoming totally predictable.

When you have lots of chips you can open wider, the fewer chips you have the more selective & careful you need to be.

One hand at a time, always play the player over the hand. So you need to be observant whilst not in hands and gain information when unable to gain chips.

Distraction is the enemy of concentration, get in the zone.

Be realistic about your results, it's very difficult to win large MTT's, even pros only win a fraction of the tournaments they enter.

By understanding you will always 'lose' more tournies than you'll win it's easier not to get emotionally invested and avoid going on tilt when things don't go your way- focus on the things you can control, not those you cannot.

When things don't go to plan, you don't crush your way to 1st place and dance in a shower of roses...

:star:​

:adore::adore::adore:

... Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, work out what went wrong, what you could have done better and get back on the horse! :ridinghor

That comes to $20.95, I'll pop it on your slate... :deal: :flute:

:wink:

Last edited:
Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my strategy and luck and escape the bads, like a very aggressive game at the beginning of a tournament with top pair and I do not need marginal hands that can compromise me at the beginning of a tournament with: KQ AJ AT KJ QJ these hands are tempting, there is no way not to enter with them my strategy is based on not playing it at the beginning of tournaments.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
The best strategy to beat a micro mtt is loose agressive or tight agressive. Our mate from cardschat forum Nathan Williams is master of that theory. Check his www site there You've got there everything.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I knew the right one, and a waking strategy, I wouldn't share it.

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest at micro stakes a play lose aggressive and tight aggressive and it worked for me

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy is based on observing how successful players play. I can't even really tell about her. I try to play differently. It is aggressive, it is tight and more often to change the tactics of the game so that the enemy does not pick up the key to me.

nathan12420

nathan12420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no singular correct answer here, but the closest thing to a definitive answer would be to play the best mix between exploitive and GTO(which will be different between each table and player).

P

pasquayak187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i hav'nt won a tourny yet but i got close making 85th place out of 2000

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not know if there is a strategy, but I think that what works for me may not work for you or for others, but it is never too much to say some things: be patient, never be soo aggressive (only when you should be), continue your instinct, apply your knowledge to the best of your ability, enjoy the tournament

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it's right to say, how many players, the same number of strategies, opinions, rules and other things)) The best tips are, when you are not in a hurry, carefully study, observe, do not make stupid decisions, you know, how to step over yourself and make a fold, when you really do not want to. Do not overestimate your cards, it is better to make a stupid fold, than a stupid call or all-in =)) Keep a fresh head for the entire time of the tournament and do not try to take everything and at once! :) But these are very well-known and simple tips, that many players know, but many do not follow, them or forget them ;)

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do not be afraid to play the tournament even if the entry money is high.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My freroll strat:
1) while blinds are small play pocket pairs, suited connectors, big pairs and over
2) After you have less than 50BB play only premium hands
3) Steal BBs if you can
4)Push on later stages of the game
5)Pray when you go all in :D

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. get yourself a good cup of luck
2. tip the dealer so the cards fall to your favour
3. only play against ppl on a badbeat
4. win your flips
5. get all the chips, you gotta love em

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I'm in a less flippant, devil-may-care mood than the last time I posted here, I'll offer you some more serious (and more expensive) advice...

When playing an MTT there are three words I try to keep in mind, in this order;

• POSITION

• AGGRESSION

• HAND SELECTION

By keeping in mind this 'mantra' (those three words in that order) our decisions are made easier and exactly how powerful our holding is in any given circumstance can be assessed in regards to positive expected value.

Start the early stages tighter but always be on the look out for and capitalise on spots were you can rake in chips.

Yes, survival is critical but so is building your stack as the blinds increase.

Using a TAG (occasionally even a hyper-TAG) strategy as default is, in my experience thus far, higher expected value but we can't always do the same thing and it's imperative in my opinion to switch up your play style in some way or other to avoid becoming totally predictable.

When you have lots of chips you can open wider, the fewer chips you have the more selective & careful you need to be.

One hand at a time, always play the player over the hand. So you need to be observant whilst not in hands and gain information when unable to gain chips.

Distraction is the enemy of concentration, get in the zone.

Be realistic about your results, it's very difficult to win large MTT's, even pros only win a fraction of the tournaments they enter.

By understanding you will always 'lose' more tournies than you'll win it's easier not to get emotionally invested and avoid going on tilt when things don't go your way- focus on the things you can control, not those you cannot.

When things don't go to plan, you don't crush your way to 1st place and dance in a shower of roses...

:wink:

I agree this should be the path throgh winning MTT...
I would avoid some agression at the begginig without being at good position... MTT has a lot a bingo players and you must have a lot of concentration to not enter at theirs all-in mode.