Too Much Competition

JDCT12

JDCT12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like there are too many good players out there these days. Is poker beatable? Search "poker" on google or youtube and there is a plethora of poker advice. The actual edge one has is probably very small, so I am a little skeptical to keep playing. Is there enough fish out there to feed all the solid players or is it just luck. I think that the only way to win is to grind out a small edge and collect comps. :confused:

D

Drefps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I think there is a lot of luck when it comes to poker, but it also requires some knowledge and skill of the game. Once u understand the basic rules of poker you can beat anyone. All you got to do is wait for good cards and play them right. Of course you can plan your hand perfectly and still lose but that’s when the bad luck comes into play.

N

nmate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure holdem is beatable. especially online. h/l split games are where i find the weakest players.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I'd say there are too many good players, i think there are plenty of predictable players out there, but luck is definitely a necessity. My issue, especially playing live, is can you beat the rake/fees. Online it is so much less, but playing live, lower buyin tourneys, you often pay 30% or more, that is what i'm not sure if you can beat.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've definitely had similar thoughts. I think you just need a great deal of luck.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I'm not sure. I think what really matters is finding the fish but then again you can always learn more and more

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you feel like your game is not competing then you must change it. That's how poker has evolved into what it is today. When it changes, you have to change to become accustomed to the new style of play to be successful.

It may seem hard to do but you can see different ways to do so. Little things that you have watched your opponents do over and over and can affect their style of play by disrupting their sequence and how they normally play.

I hope this helps, it helps me a lot. I think the biggest problem is that people don't read their opponents actions and play so they don't know how to counter-act.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck evens out it is phenomena of statistics. I agree with OP everyone is playing have a strong hand or nut hand poker and no one is really doing much bluffing etc. besides c-bets. There needs to be new players paying for their learning curve the worst and most expensive way playing a game that is too complicated and complex for them to initially understand without coach to get them up to speed. 888 is still soft I hear cant wait for legalization ACR is tough.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't say that there are too much good players out there.At least on the lower levels where i play (freerolls) many people are very predictable and do not play well. If you try to constantly learn and improve your game i think that you will be ok as many people definitely do not have the time and willing to do that.

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skills of course poker need ,but in online poker I observed that most often benefit on chance on fortune

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, poker players get bigger and there will be a lot of competitors in the game, but it's good in the game when there are a lot of new players and you can try to win more chips or raise money but you have to be careful because they happen to play on bad cards and win!

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no doubt that the games are more difficult today. Play at the stakes that you are fairly certain that you can beat. Also, game selection is more important than ever.

Douglas Gonzaga

Douglas Gonzaga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe there are a lot of bad players, and a good minority, luck sometimes helps bad ones too.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The element of luck in poker is there. But the numbers don't lie. The goal of poker is to put yourself in a position where you put the odds in your favor. Easier said than done right? And even when you do have the right odds, we have all have suck outs, and as well as the one to suck out. If you are willing to endure the pokerlife, you also have to be willing to endure the times in which you struggle, because they are sure to come. I think what separates the long-term winners from the rest of us ( I am definitely not one of them) is to be able to recognize when we find ourselves in an unfavorably critical situation. Again, something thats not easy to do

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's barely beatable now with players improving and rake increasing. But with enough work you can still do it.

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lot of computation out there, but that's how you get better. Playing against other people that are better than you & even others that aren't

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think many good players, tournaments and sit & go, so it's getting harder every year to be successful. But I think that with a medium level of qualification we can still achieve great success. Do not stop! They will always be weak players!

MetaDon7577

MetaDon7577

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, at the moment there are so many good players, do not despair of failures, keep learning to develop, and everything will turn out for you

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Yes it is true, it gives more good player than ten years ago. But in the micro limits and in freerolls it gives a lot of bad players and you can win some money there.

But if you want live from poker you must invest a lot of time in learning. And some luck need every player to win a tournament.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's defiantly harder than in the past. I have found I don't play as many 6 max and try to play full ring games when playing cash. It makes me play quality cards and cuts down on the person playing k 5 suited and such. Just my experience

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your game has to keep improving to consistently make an income off of poker. That along with bankroll management will keep the money slowly going in the up direction. Don't give in to playing more expensive games before you are ready for them. The bigger games will always be there ready for you when you have the proper bankroll to join them. You should only invest 1.5% of your total bankroll on a new game so if you have $100.00 then you would only play up to $1.50 on a new buy in.

JDCT12

JDCT12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know my weakness is that I only play my cards (level 1 thinker), and that I don't always do correctly so I'm working on that. I found a really god book that I'll leave unknown but it is helping me play my cards 100% correctly. If I can make my decisions easier than I can start to question what my opponent may have and make my plays more profitable. As stated in another thread, I also tilt pretty easy, but I'm getting better. I used to chase my losses and spend my last penny until I was broke- and did this over and over. It is hard to start winning because I constantly lose and can't seem to get a good roll going. I have so much ground to make up it messes with my head.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think what is happening is that there are a lot more loose players, more than ever they are relying on luck.
No way they can think that their 52o way out of position is a good play at any level. Especially with a good sized raise that they call, then call til the river and yay me, I am great. lol

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've found live games much more profitable then online. I consistently see ridiculous beats online that I don't see live.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find ridiculous beats live and online both. The more you play live the more crazy you see as well.