Thoughts on Short Deck Poker

H

hippy4life

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats everybodys thoughts on short deck poker?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being that it's actually short deck, I think it's pretty exciting since you're much more likely to hit different hands.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game is more dynamic, a bit unusual. You can play for a change.;)

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a bit of Play Money Short Deck on pokerstars but have to say, I didn't understand all the rules! :confused:

From what I understand from watching interviews by Richard Yong and Tom Dwan, Short Deck is popular because it gives a chance for businessmen to win against top players whereas in Hold'em it's much more difficult! :playingba

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YungWan, Chinese players are the tops in the game with a short deck. They are better prepared technically, other professionals have no such game experience. See if there is a desire for the 2019 Triton series, there are many tournaments with a short deck.

disciple

disciple

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker did start as a short deck game with 20 cards, and evolved into a 52 card game over the waters of Mississippi. No need to revert to old ways, just play Omaha Hi/Lo if you want more action :)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker did start as a short deck game with 20 cards, and evolved into a 52 card game over the waters of Mississippi. No need to revert to old ways, just play Omaha Hi/Lo if you want more action :)

Well I saw the same interview with Dwan as well like YungWan said, and Dwan talks about how short deck makes people feel like they got coolered less/ got less bad beats. So if reverting to old ways is what brings in traffic to the game of poker, I say why not?

L

lousypanda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too Old

I don’t like change. Too old to learn a new game.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, 100bb is not enough for short deck game.
200~250bb is better.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did not like it at first. Now crushing the micro tables Need 200 wins hands to get comfortable
It easy now cause new players dont know the rules.
Like the early days of Hold em

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot more variance so it attracts bad players but also increases the chance of bad beats. It's always good to profit off the early stages of a new game so take advantage while you can

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is definitely a lot of fun but I do feel you usually have to have better hands to win than regular hold’em like I don’t see many people winning with a pair or two

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, 100bb is not enough for short deck game.
200~250bb is better.
At such a depth of stacks (200BB) a game with a short deck looks very strange. Increasing the blinds will make the game less dynamic.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Its like any other game. You just have to play the cards different.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short deck is fun and alot of clients are picking it up. Check it out alot of fun

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its adds more flair because now its Top hands vs Top hands. Played it a few times and ran pretty well. brings a whole new level of odds

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like a lot of fun. Haven't played any yet but i would like to at some point. Being limited to sites as U.S player is kind of lame.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally need a str8 or better
2pair or trips is borderline hand at the river