Things people say to get an opponent to call/fold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’re in a hand, heads up with a player that just bet the river and you have a tough call. The player then says, “If I were you, I’d fold”. Believe him and fold. I’m not sure why they do this. I suspect it’s the same as declaring your opponents 4 foot putt good. They hope for the same courtesy. If you do call, they will show the nuts and say I told you. But, In fact, when people talk, it’s usually to get you to call.
Here is a list of some of my favorite lines. These are issued by regulars and tourist alike.

Oh, just two of us, I bet!

How much can I bet/raise?

I don’t think you have it so I bet (Have what, nobody said anything).

Its only $4 more!

Bet or raise way out of turn. They can’t control their excitement. Funny, you will often see the opposite when someone has a bad hand. They may fold out of turn wanting to get rid of it as soon as possible.

When I have a hand, I might say, I’ll try $4 or I’ll gamble $4. So, if you’re in hand against me and say that, if I were you, I’d fold!

Any others?

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont trust what people say at tables is normaly acting reverse psychology or reverse reverse psychology and its for deception but you dont know what one they are using, its better to look for phisiological tells like if some lightly sighs, leans backwards, starts mildly trebbeling, these work much better to get a read.

infotunes

infotunes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some of the people also try to get you angry I guess. By insulting/cursing towards the other players. Sometimes I notice that certain speaking of a player can get me a bit angry in the background, and might be a seed to play different than my normal play against that player. Like you want to get quick rid of him and play more aggressive. I assume that the player wants this because this might be qualilty of playing against aggresive players. Im aware of this influencing and it seems that I'm be more capable to cope with this.

C

CrushTheBookie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to open bet say if i had 55 i like to bet 555 flop turn or the river not much talking i have like you hit your flush knowing im sitting with full house just to see how far or how many chips you can get them to come off.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally just make the decision I was going to make before they talked but I agree talking is generally a sign that they are comfortable and want you to call.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont trust what people say at tables is normaly acting reverse psychology or reverse reverse psychology and its for deception but you dont know what one they are using, its better to look for phisiological tells like if some lightly sighs, leans backwards, starts mildly trebbeling, these work much better to get a read.

I was playing on Black Chip Poker yesterday and one guy said I guess my AA is no good. He shoved and two people called... he had AA LOL

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most they talk the less i give a s**t what they say :D :D cc games are different story though, i love reading and writing along the CC tournaments!

A

AKcirocBoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
things people say to get you to call/fold

love to listen to the I got pocket aa insta call lol...

T

TetraMinbet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play live

I get intimidated too easily

Online I usually shut down chat so no problem

yura shpiler

yura shpiler

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you know there are those who are really telling the truth at the expense of their cards than they are guided unknown! but most simply blefery !!!

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ignore because I trust my game and see if I should or not to bet, raise or flop

Folding in Poker