That's Debatable (Topics Thread)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I brought this up in the Feb Chat thread and at least a couple people thought it wasn't totally stupid so I'll move it out here to try to firm up some details and get it started.

Despite what we may think not every decision in poker is black or white, right or wrong. I'd like to set forth a series of topics where our answers won't always be so clear-cut. Where we can listen to opposing ideas and maybe take away insight that we didn't have before, even if our opinions remains unswayed. I mean this is the way we really should approach every new idea but I know I fall into the wtf-don't-ever-do-that-you-idiot camp too often.

So what I want out of this thread is ideas for topic AND for volunteers to take a side and write a post defending your chosen side. You don't even have to believe what your saying to be true to choose that side, you just have to defend it like you do. Topics can be super general or VERY specific. They should be made up of the things that people ask most often and the things that almost no one talks about.

Once a topic has it's defenders a topic specific thread will be created and only the defenders will post initially with each side stating their position and then having the chance to rebut the other. After their initial back and forth the rest can join in and continue the discussions.

Some topic ideas:
NLHE v PLO
Cash vs SnG vs MTT
6-max vs Full Ring
PT3 vs HEM
Small pairs (22-66) in FR EP (open vs fold vs limp?)
Small pairs in the blinds vs an EP raiser (flat v fold)
Small pairs in the blinds vs a LP raiser (flat v fold v 3bt)
Calling 3bets vs 4bet or fold

You get the idea. Fairly common questions or situations where there seems to be more than 1 correct answer.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Let's see if this gets any interest or quickly fades into oblivion.

M

Madmansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be interested in seeing FR vs 6max, small PP vs LP raise, small PP early position especially but I don't know if I am really qualified to be a chief debater although I'd be more than happy to participate and hear these debates. Let's make this happen guys.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be interested in seeing FR vs 6max, small PP vs LP raise, small PP early position especially but I don't know if I am really qualified to be a chief debater although I'd be more than happy to participate and hear these debates. Let's make this happen guys.

If you have an opinion you're qualified. Remember we're looking at the grey area stuff so there is not necessarily a right or wrong. For some of these it would obviously be nice to have the people debating it to have lots of experience (FRv6max or PT3vHEM for example) but how to play certain hands or whatever you'd just have to take a position and do some research if you don't feel you have the experience.

billdogg

billdogg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I vote for 3bet vs. 4 bet/fold. I've moved up to 10NL (and starting to get comfortable), but there is a lot more PF 3betting. I feel like I am folding to much to this.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small PP (22-66) early position full ring.

I raise here

- Can take down the blinds

- People put you on a strong hand, can c-bet easier.

- Disguises a small PP, flop a set with some big cards on the board you will probably get action.

- Becomes recognizable that you are limping early with PP, won't get paid off enough.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about:

More tables and volume vs less tables and better reads

I'm happy to take either side of that argument, either side of PLO v NLHE or the SnG side of the cash / SnG / MTT argument. I take it I start writing when someone accepts the other side of one of them?

Just a thought BTW, would this be better in general poker rather than the cash game forum? Almost missed the thread because I'm a SnG donk and don't come in here much :p

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im only qualified to talk about nlhe vs plo. I have no arguement in any of those discussions.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im only qualified to talk about nlhe vs plo. I have no arguement in any of those discussions.

It would be nice to have you take the side of PLO though. Come on!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know but thats all I can do, I have nothing to say about the other topics. I have no clue about holdem except for basic rules.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about:

More tables and volume vs less tables and better reads

I'm happy to take either side of that argument, either side of PLO v NLHE or the SnG side of the cash / SnG / MTT argument. I take it I start writing when someone accepts the other side of one of them?

Just a thought BTW, would this be better in general poker rather than the cash game forum? Almost missed the thread because I'm a SnG donk and don't come in here much :p
I like the more tables v less idea and yeah I'll move it.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know but thats all I can do, I have nothing to say about the other topics. I have no clue about holdem except for basic rules.

No one's stopping you from suggesting PLO topics for debate!!!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Wanna take PLO and I'll take NLHE then?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want but you will lose.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL - obviously, but I'm still game :p

We start a new thread for it, is that right WVH?

Yeah, you guys can coordinate when you want to post it (probably should give each other time to prepare your opening statements and post them at pretty much the same time. Might even be better if like I started the thread and laid out the ground rules about others posting and then you guys can come it with your statements, do the rebuttals and then we open it up.

I'd say this topic belongs in Learning Poker so if there are no objections I'd prefer the thread to be made there.

It's the 1st one so let's play this one out and see how it goes.

Edit: just saw the thread. Looks great although I'll probably ask for it to be moved to LP because I think it might fit better there. Hope mayonnaise is ready. :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
D'oh, jumped the gun - obv feel free to do whatever you have to do to it / move it etc

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You wanna debate it with yourself??? :)

Seriously pick a side.

Ahh decisions, decisions!

Its actually a tough choice for me......

I will stick to my roots! More tables :)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah but Jag your less tables is more tables than 99% of the forums

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards