Tax on poker winnings

B

barags

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys.
So, long story short, I somehow managed to make my 100$ into 1050$ and I want to withdraw. The thing that concerns me is tax. Do I have to pay some tax on that amount? Im from Croatia and I suppose every country has its own laws but I cant find any on internet. Anyone has experience with this kind of situation?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In canada you basically have to be playing professionally to incur a tax liability.

The occasional win doesn't count. Repeated wins over a long period of time do count, which excludes 99.9% of us.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys.
So, long story short, I somehow managed to make my 100$ into 1050$ and I want to withdraw. The thing that concerns me is tax. Do I have to pay some tax on that amount? Im from Croatia and I suppose every country has its own laws but I cant find any on internet. Anyone has experience with this kind of situation?

Nice work!

I would definitely Google this question to find out for Croatia specifically. In the US, you’d have 950 additional income that would be taxed. In the UK (I believe at least!), you wouldn’t owe anything. So ask a tax pro or just check online resources and you should get a nice answer on this question.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Canada you basically have to be playing professionally to incur a tax liability.

The occasional win doesn't count. Repeated wins over a long period of time do count, which excludes 99.9% of us.

Thanks for this info! I did not know the Canadian rules..

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can definitely find answers somewhere or ask your local tax professional!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should check with a tax professional of your country. Where I live we have to pay up until 27% of the winnings in taxes :(

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just lose to me and don't worry about the taxes. j/k

J

jcvd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In germany it's a gray area.Normal you dont't need to pay tax but it's different when you play poker for living. I am sure when you make one lucky big win the tax office will watch you to get a little peace of the cake. :)))

jdorganic

jdorganic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys.
pokerstars automatically charges you the countries tax rate

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You simply withdraw and live further as if nothing happened. The tax collectors will find you themselves if their system is advanced enough. Be ready to pay the tax, but I do not see any point of paying without a demand from the authorities.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Obviously, this primarily depends on the withdrawal method you plan to use. As far as I know, in most countries, withdrawals in cryptocurrency are not taxed.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would keep records so if you do get audited by the tax man you can show where the money came from.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should check your local laws as it is specific for every country. In Bulgaria winnings from gambling are not taxed and the government considers poker as gambling so we are free from taxes. Moreover bank transfers of 5000 euro or lower value are not monitored at all so it is very unlikely problems to arise for such amount of money.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On such a small amount you’ll be fine not paying taxes , if it turns to a regular occurrence.
Then I would start looking into it

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
me too

hey, is something that i want to know too...