Talking about pros mentality.

T

The horse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night I was watching an interview of a pro mtts player, who shared several phrases and left me thinking too much, it is very interesting to hear them since they are people who have a very different mentality from normal people with their respective work (with normal I mean they live day by day with their work (example electrician) .

What he said was :
Dealing with the temporary frustration of not making any progress is part of the path to excellence. In fact, it is essential and something that every elite athlete must learn to cope with. If the pursuit of excellence was easy, everyone would. In reality, this inability to endure frustration is the fundamental cause that most people fail to achieve their goals. Unrealistic temporal expectations lead to unnecessary frustration due to a sense of failure. The process to get the extraordinary is not linear. secret is in showing up, doing the job, and going home. The ethics of the blue-collar worker combined with an indomitable will. Literally, it's that simple. Nothing interferes. Nothing can take you away from your goal. Once you've made your decision, just don't give in. Don't make concessions. And accept it "The Way to Excellence".

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds very logical. Being poker pro player (especially for a long time) is not easy and very few players are able to achieve it. It requires tenacity and very strong mentality to be able to get to the top and defend your position there. That's why most of us (normal recreational players) will never get to this level despite of our dreams. :)

Swedberg

Swedberg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards self-study writemyessaysonline.com

Originally Posted by The horse

Last night I was watching an interview of a pro mtts player, who shared several phrases and left me thinking too much, it is very interesting to hear them since they are people who have a very different mentality from normal people with their respective work (with normal I mean they live day by day with their work (example electrician) .

No doubt there's a professional poker mentality. To have the correct (a relative characteristic, of course, but still) poker mindset is indeed crucial. I've been reading a lot on Cognitive Science since I started playing poker. A must read: Poker as a Domain of Expertise by Jussi Palomäki1, Michael Laakasuo1, Benjamin UltanCowley and Otto Lappi.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

What he said was :
Dealing with the temporary frustration of not making any progress is part of the path to excellence. In fact, it is essential and something that every elite athlete must learn to cope with. If the pursuit of excellence was easy, everyone would. In reality, this inability to endure frustration is the fundamental cause that most people fail to achieve their goals. Unrealistic temporal expectations lead to unnecessary frustration due to a sense of failure. The process to get the extraordinary is not linear. secret is in showing up, doing the job, and going home. The ethics of the blue-collar worker combined with an indomitable will. Literally, it's that simple. Nothing interferes. Nothing can take you away from your goal. Once you've made your decision, just don't give in. Don't make concessions. And accept it "The Way to Excellence".

Hi.
Obviously, everything is exactly as you described. Those who cannot go step by step to their goal are doomed to lose. Therefore, everything depends on us, on our willpower and desire to achieve the goal.
Good luck.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Wise words - everything is on point.

I am still on a tremendous learning curve being somewhat new to the game and literally having to learn it all for myself. However one thing I pride myself on is just being bloody minded to keep at it. I have just completed my first year at platinum level of CC and it has been up and down and I have numerous thoughts on playing on line.

However, I have resisted the temptation to take a break and walk away for a spell no matter the low points. I just do not think that would be of any benefit to me as yet. If I made some great leap or a big score, then maybe. But I am simply grinding for now and believe if you cannot literally grind through the adversity you will always be on the outside looking in.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that's all good. But where to get the money for regular poker losses to learn and strive for progress. Need to work, then no time for poker? It turns out it's all chatter.