Sucking Out VS Getting Sucked Out On. Which Happens More?

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which do you feel happens more than the other?

For me, it feels like I get sucked out on wayyy more often, but I realize it could be in part because I'm more likely to remember those moments when emotions flare up.

For any good player.. You should see more situations where you have the better hand, which would lead to more situations where someone is sucking out on you. So I like to believe that maybe it's also in part because I play better than the average of the field.

Your thoughts?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The cards flop the same for everyone,,, :dancing2: Winners find a way,,

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely get my cards in good and lose much more than I get them in bad and get lucky. For the most part I am usually only getting premium hands all in preflop unless I am very short stacked and am forced to gamble or play.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It happens, many times we have played the hand the wrong way and invite it.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I agree, I feel like I'm getting bad beats at least three times as much as I'm giving them. Maybe that's a sign I'm playing too tight. Who was it that said "if you're not getting it in bad sometimes, you're playing too tight?"

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's probably 5/1 for me being sucked out vs sucking out. But I don't gamble in the hands as my opponents do. I won't gun for a gutshot or a low flush under 9high. Others catch that gutshot or flush while holding hands like 25 or 36 suited. Again, I may be the most sucked out player here though online.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perception would say that getting sucked out on happens WAY more, but I think the math says its even.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you play long enough that you will have both extremes of good and bad run with cards and everything in between, it's the way the cards run. 'Play your cards, don't let someone play them for you!'.

Z

Zaksdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they both happen equally ... you have to have a suckee every time there's a suckout :D

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They happen with equal frequency; cognitive bias causes you to remember the occasions when you got sucked out on, but forget about the times you put the bad beat on someone else to stay alive in the tournament

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For me, it feels like I get sucked out on wayyy more often, but I realize it could be in part because I'm more likely to remember those moments when emotions flare up.

For any good player.. You should see more situations where you have the better hand, which would lead to more situations where someone is sucking out on you. So I like to believe that maybe it's also in part because I play better than the average of the field.

Your thoughts?

You are exactly correct in your analysis.

If you only play AA (and I literally know such a player) then every time you lose it will be a "My opponent sucked out on me!" story.

And if your range is any two cards....then you will be cracking AA and KK every day leading you to be the Suckout King (or Queen). Of course you will likely be felted five times that day in the process...but you will make AA and KK shake their heads and cry.

Once you understand and accept this - don't get angry at being sucked out on.

Simply try to understand how the hand played out and exploit your opponent's play.
Good luck !

Last edited:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think player patience is only rewarded in the long run. This means that if you are patient and disciplined, the time will come and you will be able to earn money regularly.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
We get sucked out on more often otherwise we would all be perpetual winners by definition. However, the negative perception from the bad beats naturally weighs heavier.

One good habit I have developed is noting the 'good beats' I inflict. Every session when a marginal hand (in equity terms) goes my way, I make a quick note of it. I've found that in virtually every session there are a couple of hands to note where I ran good, sometimes farcically/improbably so. Whilst this process does not completely erase a difficult session, it does help keep a sense of balance.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play poker for the sake of the game itself. For me, this is a hobby and an opportunity to have fun. So I usually only get positive emotions regardless of the outcome.
Good luck.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a little of both

Of course no one likes it when we lose to a suck out one outer, that happens , but im sure i think more about my losses than my wins when it comes to suck outs.
Its more incentive to reduce the odds of getting beat by suck outs, so the one outers don't develop as often, and the odds are more in my favor at showdown.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it happens to us we tend to remember those times more. One thing to also think about is if you are playing the right hands, you don't need to have a suck out. People who play hands that they shouldn't are more in a position to get one.

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your thoughts?
I'm SHOCKED if I'm the one getting lucky. I does not happen to me often. Almost never in All In Situations. Sometimes in a hand that doesn't go all in. However if it goes all in I usually have the best hand and rarely take the pot.
I definitely get my cards in good and lose much more than I get them in bad and get lucky. For the most part I am usually only getting premium hands all in preflop unless I am very short stacked and am forced to gamble or play.
+1
It happens, many times we have played the hand the wrong way and invite it.
Sometimes, yes. More often than not, I've played the hand well, and gotten my ass handed to me. Interestingly, I ALSO lose if I play the hand poorly.
It's probably 5/1 for me being sucked out vs sucking out. But I don't gamble in the hands as my opponents do. I won't gun for a gutshot or a low flush under 9high. Others catch that gutshot or flush while holding hands like 25 or 36 suited. Again, I may be the most sucked out player here though online.
I wish it were only 5/1 for me.

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm SHOCKED if I'm the one getting lucky. I does not happen to me often. Almost never in All In Situations. Sometimes in a hand that doesn't go all in. However if it goes all in I usually have the best hand and rarely take the pot.

+1

Sometimes, yes. More often than not, I've played the hand well, and gotten my ass handed to me. Interestingly, I ALSO lose if I play the hand poorly.

I wish it were only 5/1 for me.

I mean not bad play sucked out. When a player is all-in. After the flop and either catch a Turn or River when well behind. Nothing like that AK vs K6 Pair of Kings on flop, and the 6 hits on the turn or river to beat a dominating hand and suck out. I should be 2-1 or higher favorite but lose 84% of the time.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucked out on again

I hate getting sucked out on it happens too often. And the only want I'm proud of sucking out on someone is if they were behind and sucked out on me and then I re suck out again that make me gitty

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess to me what you are saying is the same thing but just looking at a different point of view. of you and the player that wins. but i loose more often with a better hand than with worst hands

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you play Tag or a tight style you're more likely to get sucked out on more than the other way around. That said...poker players most often only remember the suck outs against us and tend to forget when we get lucky. :D

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That ratio gets more one sided as the skill level do. Those who are less skilled, it will be about 50/50. More skilled players are no going to call down (without the odds) chasing as frequently as those with less skill. Higher the skill level, less this becomes a problem.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People have ability to remember bad things and not good ones so it is normal. Some time ago i took notes for around 2 months every time when suck out or get sucked out and it turned out that it is approximately 50/50 ratio.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends how you refer to being sucked out. I think a suck out is anything that got 4 outs or less by the river, eg. Gutshots. Which it is only going to happen a small amount over the long run as they only have a small amount of equity. If you suck out on somebody all the time then maybe you need to evaluate your play

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For general people is 50/50. The more skill you have, less probability to sucked out.