Strategy with Flips

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed disturbing trend - I lose 9 out of 10 flips. By definition that shouldn't happen - but it does.

I sometimes win the really unlikely ones though. Like today I played AK against AA (not a flip in the conventional sense, or any sense for that matter) and I won it - actually crushed it.

So I'm thinking that flips are for the lucky (i.e., not me) and should only be played when desperate. If I'm going to lose it anyway why not wait till it doesn't matter any more?

That's my thinking and I'm sticking to it.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing a lot of flips when you are the favorite can be frustrating. The thing is that AKo vs 67s feels like its a superior hand that should win more times than the real odds are saying. But its not. Essentialy its a flip. Ace King vs 67 suited is a flip. Thats poker. If we are talking about tourneys, I dont think its possible to be a winner if you dont win some flips. You cant beat the lucky ones, but maybe our only hope is that maths in the long term will separate the winners from lucky ones.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gambull lately with the flips better to be lucky than good.
Can be joyous or very painful.:hahaha:
170321-bullfighter-romero-mexico-feature.jpg

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid no edge extreme volatility in MTTs also known as flips.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is normal poker, you rarely touch your cards. That's why you should always play wide at the beginning of a tournament to increase your chances of winning a good pot.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing a lot of flips when you are the favorite can be frustrating. The thing is that AKo vs 67s feels like its a superior hand that should win more times than the real odds are saying. But its not. Essentialy its a flip. Ace King vs 67 suited is a flip. Thats poker. If we are talking about tourneys, I dont think its possible to be a winner if you dont win some flips. You cant beat the lucky ones, but maybe our only hope is that maths in the long term will separate the winners from lucky ones.
AKo is more like 60 40 there , which is prob better than I'd expect with AKo All in pre. Typically if someone calls I'm thinking I'm up against a pair, a real flip.

To me if you are talking about flips you are going All in pre. So yeah, I'd avoid that typically unless ss or against ss.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is part of the game, it has to come in which scenarios you are doing this and in which phases of the tournament as well. At the beginning of the tournament I do not see why doing this kind of play, so I think it's best to pay and see the board. Now there are phases of the tournament that is more interesting to do this type of play, because the viloes are more loose and opening the range of hands, so I think it's all about adjusting the game and knowing the right time to flip!

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our thinking always revolves around our defeats, have you noticed the sum of all the times you have managed to win with these cards?
I believe that most of the time, you will be a winner, when this does not happen, try to analyze your play and see if you did it correctly, if you still think you did the right thing, you should leave it as a variance, and move on.

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why put your chips in with flips? Or maybe put differently, why do it too much? Unless you are "card dead" you will find better opportunities to involve yourself in a pot than with flips. If you are actually losing 9 of 10 flips (I'll bet that is perception more than reality), all the more reason to stay away from them.