Stare-Downs ??? Are they necessary ?

T

theevildub

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the logic behind someone staring at you for 4 minutes before they make a call ?? Are they looking to see if the you get nervous ??

Good cards or bad cards, it pisses me off when someone just stares at me. That stare alone will make me agitated and probably make me look suspicious regardless of my cards.

Are you a starer ??? How do you deal with these donkeys ???

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're getting information off you. You're more likely to get emotional (nervous, frustrated or angry) if you're bluffing, so try to keep calm and hold a Dwan face.

And it's part of the game. If you don't like being stared at, then play online instead.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Matthew says, just focus on a point on the table and maintain your Zen. I usually look at the pot and repeat over-n-over "My Precious' :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They want to see your reaction.

Will you also stare back or head bow down?

By then, they will be guided if youre bluffing or have a decent hand.

C

callingtime

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
they trying to look into your soul

E

ELDONKOII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just laugh at anyone doing that hahahah , or blow a kiss at them then count my stack :)

R

rubenz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Joe McKeehen did a great job last year with his "stare" :D, but still I find it very annoying!

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to keep control of the situation without showing nervousness, there are players who have the power to have a good read on the small details of the opponent. If you can not control yourself, wear glasses, use cap, headset .. GL!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you've got a really good hand, start fidgeting and playing with your chips. Try to give out a false read.

But if you're bluffing, whatever you do, don't let them see you sweat!

Lubzhen

Lubzhen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree. Don't need to compensate your anger out on other people. I advise you to try yoga to achieve psychological tranquility.

Mr Alvim

Mr Alvim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am well look the faces of people when I'm playing but to see if they show any reaction in the specific move. If you have already showdown I 'll have some more information about that person .

pkrale

pkrale

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you cant handle someone staring at you while in a hand, take a breath and do a counter stare at the chips/table or anything that will help you stay still for the time beeing.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think some times they will help you get information but as far as staring just minutes on end I don't like it

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The vilain is trying to read some tell, getting some more information about your play, trying to detect a bluff.
If you don't like, just put your attention on something else and focus on that!!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's half the fun of playing table poker! Just figure out the best way for you to conceal your hand. Duck your head, look past him, stare back, whatever works for you.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I play LIVE, I always have a boring look on my face. I don't even really look at the villain when I'm in the middle of a hand. So it's hard to get a reaction out of me. I slump over too so not much movement out of me.
---

Just wanted to add that staring recreational players down at a $1/2 cash table is a bad idea IMO. It's just going to make them not want to play anymore. Thus EV- for you

Last edited:
Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont sweat much and i can bluff ne1 live or online .. i give good stares ppl often talk right away to me wen bluffing but will make sure who it is n prev history incase false advertising

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I play LIVE, I always have a boring look on my face. I don't even really look at the villain when I'm in the middle of a hand. So it's hard to get a reaction out of me. I slump over too so not much movement out of me.
---

Just wanted to add that staring recreational players down at a $1/2 cash table is a bad idea IMO. It's just going to make them not want to play anymore. Thus EV- for you

So for some reason u get bad vibes off some1 just stare awkwardly in or out of the hand lol

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most casual players really don't have any idea of how to read whatever information you may be giving off with your body language...they do it because they see pros on TV do it....Mike McDonald is very well known for his stare-down....just smile politely and look them in the eyes and ask, "did you get a good read on me?"

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the logic behind someone staring at you for 4 minutes before they make a call ?? Are they looking to see if the you get nervous ??

Maybe. They could be just imitating something they once saw on Poker After Dark or High Stakes Poker with Not Clue One as to what to look for.

Good cards or bad cards, it pisses me off when someone just stares at me. That stare alone will make me agitated and probably make me look suspicious regardless of my cards.
Look at it this way: you're sending false signals that tell them nothing. Felt them a couple of times with the pure Brazils because they thought you looked bluffy and that'll put a stop to it.

Are you a starer ??? How do you deal with these donkeys ???
Like everything else, it depends. My default is to sit there, pick a spot on the table and focus on it. I haven't mastered Dwan's drooling moron look, but I can go completely impassive regardless of whether I'm bluffing, value betting, or pushing the nuts.

V

velhasil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice topic! I don't know sometimes I think the poker players take their selfs too serious. Eventually this is not rocket science. Its not saving the planet earth or finding cure for some disease. Its a game! ok sometimes with a lot of money in it but come on you are playing a card game. So I am not a fan of stare downs. When someone does that to me I look back like JOKER :D Sometimes they fold sometimes not.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I talk to them ... feed em s..t. sends em mad.

AlyLauren

AlyLauren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way to deal with this people is just maintain a poker face, its pretty hard but atleast they won't that you're bothered because of the way they look at you.

M

minmoney

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This stare won him millions of dollars
Joe_McKeehen_2015_WSOP_Main_Event_Day_6_1.jpg

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe. They could be just imitating something they once saw on Poker After Dark or High Stakes Poker with Not Clue One as to what to look for.

Look at it this way: you're sending false signals that tell them nothing. Felt them a couple of times with the pure Brazils because they thought you looked bluffy and that'll put a stop to it.

Like everything else, it depends. My default is to sit there, pick a spot on the table and focus on it. I haven't mastered Dwan's drooling moron look, but I can go completely impassive regardless of whether I'm bluffing, value betting, or pushing the nuts.

haha Dwan's poker face always makes me laugh.

Looks like magikarp (the fish pokemon that literally only flops around doing nothing)