Stand a Raise?

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're sitting in an early position and you are dealt a playable hand. How many of you think, if I make a bet is my hand strong emough to stand a raise if one is called, or to call or even reraise ithe raise The later positions you are sitting at, the easier it is to make this decision.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're sitting in an early position and you are dealt a playable hand. How many of you think, if I make a bet is my hand strong emough to stand a raise if one is called, or to call or even reraise ithe raise The later positions you are sitting at, the easier it is to make this decision.

I don't understand what you're asking?

So you said early position and "playable hand" So generally your range is going to be tighter in early position so we are thinking something like 10-12% of your range.

You then said How many of US think that if YOU make a bet is your hand strong enough to stand a raise if one is called?

did you mean Can you stand a raise if someone 3bet you?

and then you went into whether to "call" flat the 3bet or "reraise the raiser" 4bet.

In general, if you're opening from early position you need to have a plan, something to the tune of, if I get 3 bet am I calling, folding, or 4betting.

You can make the best decision based on the tendencies of the player making the aggressive action.

If this is not what you were asking please explain, because the question is difficult to understand.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to look at the situation, what are your opponents and what game do you have, if you have any tricks there, then you can knock them out of the bank

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you are in an early position, the best is to have a strong hand, or a good pair, or something that you think you can have a good result. Of course the question is what is the "something"? This stays in your judgement and there we see the exciting action!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with
makisaa, it’s better to have a very strong hand in the early position of the tournament, I have moments when I have to fold very strong hands because I don’t have a match on the Flop Turn and River, but it’s easier to play on normal cards in the later stages of the tournament Cases or the card plays well or the card does not play at all and you fly out of tournaments!

V

vladimir1464

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the fact that strong pocket cards at the beginning of the tournament in most cases lose with them better immediately and all-in in the hope that someone will call

and in the later stages of the tournament you can hide strong hands playing loosely with them

just at the beginning of a tournament with strong cards you have to play more aggressively

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is exactly why your range should be way tighter in early positions than when you're in the button. Why raise from UTG with something like 89s? There are too many people to act after you, someone could go all-in or make a strong 3-bet to leave you with no options except to fold. The same hand would be way better to play from the button, where there are fewer people left to act and you will be in position after the flop so it will be easier to bluff in case you don't flop a monster.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is exactly why your range should be way tighter in early positions than when you're in the button. Why raise from UTG with something like 89s? There are too many people to act after you, someone could go all-in or make a strong 3-bet to leave you with no options except to fold. The same hand would be way better to play from the button, where there are fewer people left to act and you will be in position after the flop so it will be easier to bluff in case you don't flop a monster.

I'm gonna slightly disagree, as there are times I've limped utg and everyone except bb folded, just depends on the players, whereabouts in the tournament, and how many raises/all ins/ big hands have gone before,
I've noticed that some tourneys start off slow until people "get their feet wet" , get involved in a few hands or see others getting way in, then suddenly the table seems to come alive and everyone is playing everything, so just have to keep "finger on the pulse" and see what's going on, my 0,55c .....
on the 89 play, I'd say it shows a plan, since if somehow that flop connects , then no one will predict 89 .... some players do this on purpose to good effect.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not understand your question for sure .. But whenever you make a decision, keep in mind all that you will do, regardless of the action, your move must be + EV, already create in your mind the possibilities that will happen. if anyone calls, or raise, what I'm going to do, I'm going to make a reraise, I'm going to go all in, all you have to keep in mind.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna slightly disagree, as there are times I've limped utg and everyone except bb folded, just depends on the players, whereabouts in the tournament, and how many raises/all ins/ big hands have gone before,
I've noticed that some tourneys start off slow until people "get their feet wet" , get involved in a few hands or see others getting way in, then suddenly the table seems to come alive and everyone is playing everything, so just have to keep "finger on the pulse" and see what's going on, my 0,55c .....
on the 89 play, I'd say it shows a plan, since if somehow that flop connects , then no one will predict 89 .... some players do this on purpose to good effect.

I wouldn't say limping was the correct play there, even though it worked for you. In most cases someone would raise and get a call or maybe get a 3-bet and then you would be facing the decision to play out of position with a worse hand that only rarely connects. You could also be in those situations where everyone limps after you and that's basically a bingo situation, whoever is the luckiest on the flop takes the chips.

Also, of course people play 89s to hide a monster, but that is way easier to do by calling a raise from the button or maybe defending the big blind because then you already know how many players you're facing. Actually, the reason why I used 89s as an exemple was because the OP was asking about playable hands and I definitely belive 89s is playable, but from an early position you could be just throwing your chips away, since you're probably not going to call a 3-bet or an all-in.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't say limping was the correct play there, even though it worked for you. In most cases someone would raise and get a call or maybe get a 3-bet and then you would be facing the decision to play out of position with a worse hand that only rarely connects. You could also be in those situations where everyone limps after you and that's basically a bingo situation, whoever is the luckiest on the flop takes the chips.

Also, of course people play 89s to hide a monster, but that is way easier to do by calling a raise from the button or maybe defending the big blind because then you already know how many players you're facing. Actually, the reason why I used 89s as an exemple was because the OP was asking about playable hands and I definitely belive 89s is playable, but from an early position you could be just throwing your chips away, since you're probably not going to call a 3-bet or an all-in.

Yes the
1. "everyone limps " is the worst possible scenerio,
2. A raise , not so bad as some will try trappy style ideas here, limp-get raised-3bet , as I'm sure part of the reason for some players folding excessively to utg limp play (i hadn't noticed before, but recently i have, doesn't happen all that often though)
3.a raise followed by 3bet before action comes back to me, either an ideal situation if i was trapping, or easy fold (or even some crazy hero play with 89, but doubtful )
of course most of these won't stand up to an all in, i thought it was just 3bet or so, not all in,
I was mainly disagreeing that some won't try 89 raise utg, some do it for value against tight players if flop is good, others do it for mind games, deliberately raising either a tag or lag player ahead of them to set long term trap perhaps?
Or even to "sell" a fake image you may be peddling. ...
:) , maybe I'm just crazy though lmao , that's always a valid reason :p

K

komixof

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate being raised, puts me in akward spot

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Memphis Grind
Since you appear to be one of life's nit pickers, I will rewrite the sentence such that even you can understand.
How many of you think that if you make a bet is your hand strong enough .............

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is a reasonable hand for you !! ?? if it's a KJoff, or smaller pairs I do not get involved, especially if more than 1 player comes into play. this will increase the variance in much ..