Can someone explain this to me?

F

forexbrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOeG2Vn0h8

Phil decides to run it 4 times? Why bother? He could have taken down a monster pot by running it once? I have never understood this running it more than once business.

It makes no sense to the favourite??

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He wanted to give the loose cannon a better chance to win and to show he was a good sport for the TV show.
Isn't this clip from like 3 or 4 years ago?

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I must admit I do not understand the idea of running it twice or whatever times?

I suppose you may choose to do that if you are playing someone regular who over a longer period of time you have become quite friendly with and you feel in the long run, you may make a bigger profit? Otherwise, I don't see the point? With me you'll only get one chance, and some may say thats all they need!! hehe gl

F

forexbrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He wanted to give the loose cannon a better chance to win and to show he was a good sport for the TV show.
Isn't this clip from like 3 or 4 years ago?

Ye it might be, but I haven't been playing that long so only seeing it now. :eek:

N

Nuts4U

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can someone explain to me, how does a CC poker password get leaked. One of our very own members must be doing this, unbeleaveable

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To my understanding, running it twice is used predominantly in High Stakes Cash games to reduce variance. Lets be honest if we get it in as an 80% favourite and lose 200K, its gonna sting... run it twice and we get sucked out on once, we break even. Yes it means we are going to only win 60% of the time and like 30% of the time we chop, but we only lose <10%.. (sure someone can work the odds out better than me at this time, been a long day) dramatically reducing variance and allowing the player/game to continue longer.

The play is still +EV, although long term lower +EV, in that one instance we give ourselves a much lower chance of going broke. This would be particularly useful both when playing recreationally (as a pro or not) and when taking shots above our usual limit. expected value is a long term concept over 10's of 1000's of hands, in reality very few people are going to play that many hands at high stakes therefore sacrificing some EV for a chop is worthwhile.

iflylight

iflylight

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must admit I do not understand the idea of running it twice or whatever times?

I suppose you may choose to do that if you are playing someone regular who over a longer period of time you have become quite friendly with and you feel in the long run, you may make a bigger profit? Otherwise, I don't see the point? With me you'll only get one chance, and some may say thats all they need!! hehe gl

To reduce varience

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you run it twice, does the person who wins it the first time get the pot, and then the players put more money back into the pot and they run it a second time? Or is the purpose to acknowledge that the hand is basically a coin flip and if you run it twice and both players win once, then you split the pot? I don't get it either.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you run it twice, does the person who wins it the first time get the pot, and then the players put more money back into the pot and they run it a second time? Or is the purpose to acknowledge that the hand is basically a coin flip and if you run it twice and both players win once, then you split the pot? I don't get it either.
Variance, they tend to do it when the pots are really big.

When they do run it twice the cards are dealt and the player who wins gets 50% of the pot.

They then deal again and the player who wins the 2nd time gets the other 50%.

Also the cards dealt in the 1st deal dont go back in the deck :)

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can someone explain to me, how does a CC poker password get leaked. One of our very own members must be doing this, unbeleaveable

maybe someone posting irrelevant content to get the post count to get the passwords then spreading to others

PokerGrinder

PokerGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when no one is offering insurance, players will run it multiple times. I know Phil Ivey only runs it once all day. I am a firm believer in running it once as well. I hate chopped pots. I screw myself into letting a bad player think he can shove it in on me with a draw and he knows I'm going to run it twice. That's why its good to run it once, so other players know you won't bail them out and run it multiple times.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never seen this Big Game before:)I feel that it was crazy.Do not know how to explain it, but it was funny)

T

techsavant777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

It makes sense to me. As you saw in the clip, Phil has made his set of 9's and still got sucked out on 3 out of 4 times by the weaker hand. This is the exact reason you want to run it more than once if you have a huge pot and a lot is at stake. Although, it didn't work out so great in Phil's favor this time, if he had run it once and the river came w a King or he hit his runner runner for the straight or flush, then he would have lost the whole pot. And as you can see, it happened 3 out of 4 times in this example, so it's not that bad of an idea.

Pet0 (aka techsavant777)