Slow or aggressive

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess this is just a question to gauge general strategy and what most people tend to lean towards. I read that most top players on average only play 25% of hands. When a tournament starts out I use to go in on almost every hand because in my mind it was cheap to do so. However since reading this I've changed my style a lot. I mean I still go in on more hands at the beginning then once blinds get expensive (depending on what my stack looks like) however I will fold a lot more preflop then I use to and I've had much better results. What does everyone else think?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I tend to think that poker is rarely 'one or the other' and more often subtle combinations of both.

It depends on the circumstances. :)

The best thing to do is probably assess the field/table and make adjustments based on that.

You get real-time feedback on what works and what doesn't! :wink:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a topic in which you need to constantly learn and learn. If you progress, then knowledge is acquired by you, and you have a chance to someday become a professional in this matter.
Any knowledge gained in poker will give you an edge over your opponent. I try to learn and wish you not to stop and study as much material as possible on the theory and practice of poker.

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's right, you say. as long as you have a large stack, you can participate in many cheap sweepstakes. but when the blinds increase, you need to narrow your spectrum.

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's right, you say. as long as you have a large stack, you can participate in many cheap sweepstakes. but when the blinds increase, you need to narrow your spectrum.

That's not exactly what I am saying though. I'm saying I stopped playing so many hands even when the blinds are cheap because it can really dwindle your stack and leave you weak even when you finally get a decent hand.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the game has to be adapted depending on the type of player you are facing, and not my personal style.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course it is always a good strategy to play a lot of hands at the start of the game. but that does not mean that it is always the strategy which it is absolutely necessary to adopt on all your parts. because several factors come into account. the variance of your opponent's playing style or your image at the table. what is certain is that you must always analyze and adapt to all situations.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, everyone is doing the right thing, at the beginning of their poker career, everyone goes through these stages of learning the game.

A

andrzejaa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer aggressively, all blinds will be mine!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everything is relative. I think the style of the player depends on his temperament. But I am also convinced that only a patient player can succeed in the long run.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it’s best to adapt to your opponents. Use the weaknesses of other players

xmuggpokerx

xmuggpokerx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta feel the rythym of your cards and know when you can play aggressive or slow. Chip stack also has a lot to do with it. Tho don’t leave a good strategy just because you start winning right

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow

I lean toward the slow side when I play poker.

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different strategies. Playing lots of hands because the blinds are still small is not a good idea. On the one hand, you're going to make tough decisions when you hit the board with small cards. On the other hand, especially in bounty tournaments you might miss important bounties because you're 1-2 bbs shorter than your opponent.

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I support this)) at the beginning of the tournament I play more hands when the game takes more time I try to play less hands!:five:

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play more hands when it is cheap to do so early in tournaments/freerolls.; then as it gets expensive I'm much more selective on when I play suited connectors, low/mid pairs, aces with low/mid kickers. It has made my results better overall and deeper results more often now.

sarvari_ati

sarvari_ati

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when it comes to tournament, it is slowly deliberate at first. If you feel your best hand is aggressive. At a later stage always thoughtfully slow.
Good luck!:)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not like the aggressive game. Usually I try to play only with strong cards. I believe that the game is aggressive only for experienced players.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I adapt the style of play depending on what players are at the table I play both aggressively and slowly.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've done a day or two on the 30 day course poker. I must admit, following some of their advice about passive and aggressive play, whether it's just coincidence, I won 2 games and was in the money on the other 3 yesterday.
Personally, I think each game should be a mixture of each. I don't have much time for players who are aggressive all the way through. If that's the way to be successful financially at poker, the pros would do it. Surprisingly, they don't. Says it all...