Sleep

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you associate sleep with the ability to play good poker? I'm not sure what caused me to play a certain hand the way I did but later on I started nodding off. I wondered if lack of sleep may have contributed to my poor playing of a hand that cost me $12. Long story short, I went all-in on a set of 10's. Post Flop mind you with two other players and no 10 on the flop. Was called with AA's in one's hand and JhQh in another's. Surprise!.....the JhQh won with a two pair!...………………….But yeah, can you tell me a moment where a bad decision you made could possibly have been due to lack of sleep? How is a lack of sleep associated with good poker play?

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I associate sleep with good poker , but I don't associate any poker with good sleep!

Poker involves thinking, and doing so quickly, and you need to be sufficiently rested to think well. You'll not appreciate exactly how, but not being sufficiently rested will definitely hurt your poker.

I can't give you an example because I don't play if I'm tired (unless with friends) and also because it won't be obvious what I did wrong - it's most likely to affect my concentration so I don't pickup on something.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can tell when I'm making mistakes. It could be lack of sleep or it could be that I have something else on my mind or it could be boredom or it could be hunger or it could be tilt. There are a ton of reasons why I make mistakes, but the point is that I'm making them and I shouldn't be so it's time to stop playing, figure out what's wrong and fix it.

BTW - I lose a lot of money with the best hand pre-flop and on the flop and on the turn. The question is did I lose more than I needed to, which is a mistake, or did I just plain get unlucky?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sleep in an incredibly important factor. Sleeping well and playing in a refreshed manner is one of Fedor Holz top tips for success.

If you want to find out just how important it is, put yourself on a weird schedule where you interrupt a regular sleep pattern to play poker. A few sessions might be okay but then it will quickly start to have a detrimental effect.

For example - it is incredibly difficult to play online regularly on one side of the planet with tournaments schedule in another hemisphere. If you have to endure that and cope, you soon learn to appreciate how important a restful sleep is to your game.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I never learn. Rather then stop playin and go to sleep before your poor decisions, which are coming from your tired one-eye-open-head, i choose not to. Lose money, and i start to belive myself :)

It is quite a long time tho, what you can play straight without sleep, more importantly, without getting tired. It depends various things.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sleep is important for a person in any activity. Moreover, it is important where mental activity and concentration are needed. That is, quality sleep is important for poker.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that you need to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day. Personally, if I sleep less than 7 hours, I feel bad and get tired quickly. Obviously, lack of sleep has a bad effect on the concentration and efficiency of the player. I do not start playing if I feel tired, instead I just go to bed.
Good luck.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some of the main things poker players need are patience and sleep so your mind and body can be energized, other than that you'll play normal and or make mistakes.

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure everyone is different but surely lack of sleep will effect your concentration therefore effecting your play

Just my opinion but I like to make sure I'm well rested for a decent session to take place

Good luck out there

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you associate sleep with the ability to play good poker? I'm not sure what caused me to play a certain hand the way I did but later on I started nodding off. I wondered if lack of sleep may have contributed to my poor playing of a hand that cost me $12. Long story short, I went all-in on a set of 10's. Post Flop mind you with two other players and no 10 on the flop. Was called with AA's in one's hand and JhQh in another's. Surprise!.....the JhQh won with a two pair!...………………….But yeah, can you tell me a moment where a bad decision you made could possibly have been due to lack of sleep? How is a lack of sleep associated with good poker play?

Hello,

Basic health has 3 categories and all are equally important. Diet, sleep, and exercise. These will allow you to function at whatever your peak performance can be. The requirements for each category is specific to each person. Some people have to workout for hours and some are satisfied with very small amounts of physical output. Some people need 10 hours of sleep and others need 4. Eat whole foods you enjoy. Max Brain power achieved.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
BTW - I lose a lot of money with the best hand pre-flop and on the flop and on the turn. The question is did I lose more than I needed to, which is a mistake, or did I just plain get unlucky?

My question for you is: how are you calculating your bet size? Is it aligned with your equity? Are you putting enough in the pot to limit those who continue? If you do not have the stone cold nuts, you need to be building some sort of protection into your bet sizing?

It is interesting how different players play so differently. Negraneu with his @pot control@ keeping pots small vs Little or BlackRain whose goal seems to be getting all-in by the river so they can stack their opponent.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question for you is: how are you calculating your bet size? Is it aligned with your equity? Are you putting enough in the pot to limit those who continue? If you do not have the stone cold nuts, you need to be building some sort of protection into your bet sizing?

It is interesting how different players play so differently. Negraneu with his @pot control@ keeping pots small vs Little or BlackRain whose goal seems to be getting all-in by the river so they can stack their opponent.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY
I'm generally playing against players who will NEVER walk away from a flush draw regardless of bet sizing, hence most of my losses go to pay off flush chasers.

I'm becoming more and more a fan of Negreanu's approach. If there's no way they're folding, may as well keep the pot smaller till they have nowhere left to go, ESPECIALLY in a tournament where I want to get close to/in the the FT.

You need fairly consistent luck to stack loose opponents. By luck I mean the hand usually goes the way the odds say it usually should. I don't have that. I literally lose 7 out of 10 all-in hands if I'm the favorite when the money goes in the middle. 80/20 does not make me feel positive. KK is worse that 72o for me. I've lost the last 5 hands in a row with KK (not against AA).

Last edited:

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not resting correctly is part of making bad decisions, in number one I would put not being focused and that covers many circumstances, to play you must be 100% focused on the game without any distraction:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being in good physical and mental health is very important if you want to play your best game and having enough sleep can help with both of these.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm becoming more and more a fan of Negreanu's approach. If there's no way they're folding, may as well keep the pot smaller till they have nowhere left to go, ESPECIALLY in a tournament where I want to get close to/in the the FT.

I hear that. I think it is good strategy. At low stakes, multiway pots are common. And it can be tough indeed to buy the pot. So maybe best to "see what happens". So instead of going all in, control pot size. If you suspect they have failed in their draws, then you can still push if you feel confident.

Regards,
ObbleeXY

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For my part, I always try to sleep 1 or 2 hours before starting my session. to be in top form and make the right decisions. when you are sleepy it is more difficult to stay focused on the table and analyze your opponents' play. which ultimately interferes with your ability to adapt and adjust your games according to their playing styles. when i am tired i tend to call and all-in too often and especially without taking the time to think seriously about it.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I believe that, to play your A game, you need to have your health in good terms. Exercising, having a properly alimentation and good sleep would propably improve your decisions in the game

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

Well, I think that to play your A game, you need to have your health in good standing. Exercising, eating well, and sleeping well would probably improve your gambling decisions

I agree with the answer of the partner, and I add, for any activity and in any area of ​​life, integral health is fundamental.

:kh4::qh4: Kings of health :D

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clearly, if you do not get enough sleep, you can not make adequate decisions, even the example you gave, this proves to you simply. probably lucky. after all, you were far behind your opponents in terms of chances.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lack of sleep probably doesn’t do good for playing poker. I think it’s important that you can be rested before playing.
Fatigue can make bad decisions.

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't remember making bad decisions because of lack of sleep. I just and so often make the wrong decisions[emoji849]. But it was so that I just fell asleep when I was with a normal stack and literally one foot on the final table. (about 20 people were in the game). And me woke up a few hours later in a chair with a smartphone. That was a shame, and looking at the profit, I didn't even make it to the final.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you associate sleep with the ability to play poker well? I'm not sure what made me play a certain hand the way I did, but later I started heading. I wondered if lack of sleep might have contributed to my poor execution of a hand that cost me $ 12. Simply put, I went all-in on a set of 10. After the flop, notice two other players and no 10s on the flop. flop. He was called with AA in hand and JhQh in another. Surprise! ..... JhQh won with a pair of two! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... but yeah, can you tell me a time when a bad decision you made could be due to lack of sleep? ?How is a lack of sleep associated with a good game of poker?

Of course, lack of sleep depletes your energy and your brain is tired and poker is a game with a lot of information that requires analysis and if you are tired or fatigued you will make very quick decisions because you do not have enough energy to think and analyze a play.

The most advisable thing is to sleep a minimum of 8 hours and if you are a player who plays until long hours at night you have to rest in the afternoon so as not to start the night's game session tired and also try to distract yourself while you play, a good coffee to play at night would not be bad.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to play with full strength and it is imperative to devote at least 6-8 hours to deep sleep. It is not always possible to withstand this only in our technogenic bustle. I often do this, when I want to sleep I always get a good card and I win with weak hands.:confused:

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to play with full strength and it is imperative to devote at least 6-8 hours to deep sleep. It is not always possible to withstand this only in our technogenic bustle. I often do this, when I want to sleep I always get a good card and I win with weak hands.:confused:
Only the strength to play is no longer in the deep stage of the tournament.

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for you to have a good result, you have a very calm body, poker is a game that affects your psychological and fatigue due to the time it can take a tournament, so never play tired