How do the pros do it year after year?

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening everyone, I like mostly everyone on here played enough to experience ort fair share of wins losses bad beats etc. I've posted a few times on here about my bad luck and depressing lifestyle and had helpful feedback on ways to improve in all areas. What I want to know is how did Ivey, Negraneau, Dwan, Bloom, and several others get so good? I mean we all know a royal flush, two pair, all in bets or raises. I mean damn I go an entire year or two with such negative results and no matter what I do it's just a disaster.

I really was one of them guys who wanted to grind 1/2 nl for a side gig making $1,000 a week then do it for a living. I probably didn't make $1,000 in 10 months and that's being serious. Before answering "many years experience, or they've been staked and got lucky in a big tournament" I would think it HAS to be something else that makes them appear at final tables much more than the average players, or making 1 million dollars minimum a year which takes me probably 250 damn years at my little job SAVING EVERY PENNY.....i just don't get it, I'm 34 and wasted so many years but don't want to give this up, I seen 19 years old make more in a month online than I did in 15 years, damn i sick. HOW DOES IVEY DO IT!?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is very simple - all these people (which you have listed) live poker and put a lot of effort into becoming a strong player! in poker you don't need talent - in poker you need a desire to work hard on yourself, discipline, perseverance and a little luck))

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, and there's one more thing: the capacity of reading. Surely you've seen it, read every steps of the playing hand, it's so important to look further than your opponents.

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening everyone, I like mostly everyone on here played enough to experience out fair share of wins losses bad beats etc. I've posted a few times on here about my bad luck, and depressing lifestyle and had helpful feedback on ways to improve in all areas. What I want to know is how did Ivey, Negraneau, Dwan, Bloom, and several others get so good. I mean we all know a royal flush, two pair, all in bets or raises, I mean damn I go an entire year or two with such negative results and no matter what I do it's just a disaster. I really was one of them guys who wanted to grind 1/2 nl for a side gig making $1,000 a week then do for a living. I probably didn't make $1,000 in 10 months and that's being serious. Before answering "many years experience, or they've been staked and got lucky in a big tournament" I would think it HAS to be something else that makes them appear at final tables much more than the average players, or making 1 million dollars minimum a year which takes me probably 250 damn years at my little job SAVING EVERY PENNY.....i just don't get it, I'm 34 and wasted so many years but don't want to give this up, I seen 19 years old make more in a month online than I did in 15 years, damn i sick. HOW DOES IVEY DO IT!?!?!?
i dont think those pro's learn't their skills online........real live poker is completely different to online...............

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skills

Hello, do not despair, my friend. I can’t start earning the same game like you, I can’t go into a positive game, I don’t know, it seems to me that the live game is noticeably different from the online game. As for these great players, they have studied this for many years playing, reading books, etc., then they are the most unsurpassed players, maybe even the most successful of all. It's a mystery - nobody knows, but everyone just wonders if you do something wrong - for example, distribution and control of a bankroll , or is subject to sharp care in tilt. Try all the analysis rowan and set a goal to play-not a big plus job to find some -So my mistake .I hope that you will do it -like me !!!:ciao::ciao::ciao:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivy? he's a crook, wins by bending the rules.
But even Ivy, like all others: they spend a lot of time studying!

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I'm asking about......live play....

J

JekinTar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker you really need to be able to play and be able to read the players at your table. To be honest, I haven't won anything either, but I'm not upset yet. Good luck to all smile.
Good evening everyone, I like mostly everyone on here played enough to experience out fair share of wins losses bad beats etc. I've posted a few times on here about my bad luck, and depressing lifestyle and had helpful feedback on ways to improve in all areas. What I want to know is how did Ivey, Negraneau, Dwan, Bloom, and several others get so good. I mean we all know a royal flush, two pair, all in bets or raises, I mean damn I go an entire year or two with such negative results and no matter what I do it's just a disaster. I really was one of them guys who wanted to grind 1/2 nl for a side gig making $1,000 a week then do for a living. I probably didn't make $1,000 in 10 months and that's being serious. Before answering "many years experience, or they've been staked and got lucky in a big tournament" I would think it HAS to be something else that makes them appear at final tables much more than the average players, or making 1 million dollars minimum a year which takes me probably 250 damn years at my little job SAVING EVERY PENNY.....i just don't get it, I'm 34 and wasted so many years but don't want to give this up, I seen 19 years old make more in a month online than I did in 15 years, damn i sick. HOW DOES IVEY DO IT!?!?!?

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They studied way more than you or I ever will. They are very disciplined.
Everyday or few days for years of countless hours of hand situations or reviewing what one did wrong or right? I just don't see that, yes there's commitment, and I give credit to their skill. But if they were to sit with yourself, myself, and some other players at a same table who know what hands are, what a paired board is, 4 to a flush, when our top pair encounters resistance, bluffing, and knowing when to tighten up, most are implying we'll all get obliterated in the long run!?!?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They know how to process all the variables in a hand action by action in a hand in cash game and action by action of the tournament in a MTT. I takes a lot of concentration, memory and mental energy to do it....I usually just slide on feel unless the event is a large MTT. Ivey went through Hell and still is as he has lost huge amounts in his latest cases in advantage play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know the rules of basketball and I've even played some pick up games with friends before. So, why am i not as good as Michael Jordan?

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the rules of basketball and I've even played some pick up games with friends before. So, why am i not as good as Michael Jordan?
There's always one out of the group that has the simple remark.....i actually expected this.......the physical skills required to be an elite professional athlete are totally different than me sitting down across Ivey, hellmuth, negraneu playing cards that randomly appear on a board where we all know the hands, how to play for the most part, and a lot of luck involved. A royal flush is a royal flush, a straight a straight, a winner a winner like them a loser a loser like I and many other been.....we can't, well most of us, can't jump from the fowl line like Jordan, dunk a basketball, dribble with quickness, but know that a paired board could be a possible full house or quads, that we COULD win a hand against Ivey Negraneau several times but WON'T EVER win a game to 10 one on one against Jordan Bryant or james......obviously there's something they do......i want to know what

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First mistake you do you play poker because you wanna make living out of it. Only thinking about making living out of poker is wrong. Play the game, because you like it. Second thing you need to do is to work hard, study, improve you gameplay, focus on poker overall, because :

Poker is : 1% luck, 1% talent, 99% never give up and that makes 100% success formula

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
skills ;) luck faktor.. something like: u are formula driver or yugo driver :D

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First mistake you do you play poker because you wanna make living out of it. Only thinking about making living out of poker is wrong. Play the game, because you like it. Second thing you need to do is to work hard, study, improve you gameplay, focus on poker overall, because :

Poker is : 1% luck, 1% talent, 99% never give up and that makes 100% success formula
I hear you Ropa, but isn't t at what Ivey said on his documentary on the days of grinding in Atlantic city, that he kept losing and losing but wanted to get better to build his bankroll and make a lot of money, he said to his mom this is what HE wants to do for a living. Now I know what HE did and what I'M doing are two complete different worlds and don't get me wrong he likes playing but his drive as a young kids was to be good to make momey

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I.m sure they occasionally get a good read on a player but I don't think reading others is anywhere near the top of list. I think pros first of all avoid playing trouble hands that amateurs will take a stab at. Once in a hand they are skilled at outplaying amateurs post flop. They have the discipline to fold just about any hand when they sense they are beat. When they decide to play after the flop they use good bet sizing to either push the other player out of the pot or to extract good value when they have the nuts. Amateurs tend to get the bet sizing wrong and find themselves facing an opponent they let stay to the river who has just caught the nuts. Amateurs also don't get enough value for their winning hands and arrive at the latter stages without enough chips.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They live and breathe poker. They've seen every situation hundreds of times. Obviously they have a great feel for the game but they have more experience than most players.

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening everyone, I like mostly everyone on here played enough to experience ort fair share of wins losses bad beats etc. I've posted a few times on here about my bad luck and depressing lifestyle and had helpful feedback on ways to improve in all areas. What I want to know is how did Ivey, Negraneau, Dwan, Bloom, and several others get so good? I mean we all know a royal flush, two pair, all in bets or raises. I mean damn I go an entire year or two with such negative results and no matter what I do it's just a disaster.

I really was one of them guys who wanted to grind 1/2 nl for a side gig making $1,000 a week then do it for a living. I probably didn't make $1,000 in 10 months and that's being serious. Before answering "many years experience, or they've been staked and got lucky in a big tournament" I would think it HAS to be something else that makes them appear at final tables much more than the average players, or making 1 million dollars minimum a year which takes me probably 250 damn years at my little job SAVING EVERY PENNY.....i just don't get it, I'm 34 and wasted so many years but don't want to give this up, I seen 19 years old make more in a month online than I did in 15 years, damn i sick. HOW DOES IVEY DO IT!?!?!?
no1 is discipline no2 dedication no3 skill............no4 a little luck:cool::cool::cool:

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's their passion, and they understand getting through the grind is part of the game. They practice that, and is usually their main focus. They try very hard not to burn out.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion: They budget their buy ins , its that simple.

favoritism sees alot of good players bumping off the fans (giddy with disbelief they're playing their idols) early on and then move them on...

Stop when the fun stops or when your idol steals your pot and eyes up your wife:eek::eek::eek:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've got to be willing to grind just as hard away from the table as you do on the table. Last year out of only 13 live cash sessions, i won 11 them and brought home just over $4300 in profit....not huge numbers, and certain sessions of course were nice wins while others werent so much. All in all ive won close to $13k over my entire "career" playing live poker as a hobby / side hustle. I've also lost somewhere in the $3k neighborhood so it isnt all glamour.

Point is if you want to improve, do not doubt yourself, work veeeery hard at your game. Stop focusing on finer points and get back to the basics of solid ABC poker.

This game isn't for everyone, but if you are determined enough - i think you can find a way to play a solid strategy and improve your win rates. Good luck to you. Hopefully this helps

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it takes alot of hard work and time to get good at live poker it is so different than that of online poker also throw in some luck and u have some success