Sitting Out

E

ELDONKOII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres something, if you play live tournament poker and you are not at the table your hand is dead, so why is it at some poker rooms the sitters out still win hands? it shouldnt be allowed, every time you raise to isolate, the sitter comes up with a massive hand:eek: and stays in the tourney, I dont think this is right and the hand should be folded the same as in a live tourney ...
what do other people think about this?:confused:

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Sitting out" is allowed in the live tournaments too, but cards are still dealе and game continues, with or without player. So I think that it is right, "sitting out" does not matter so much, so it is not a big problem.

L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, that just as in live if it is off when the hand he should not start or receive letters

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In live tournament, a sitting player has their cards mucked even when all in. Is this correct?

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have too had many better hands get drawn on by a poor hand, I would think they should be skipped and truly be out.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On most online sites if there is a sitter and usually there last hand will come in a blind so seeing this i will take in account my actions accordingly. If the sitter beats my hand its usually only 1 blind or less. And to remove a sitter would only be a correct move in a freeroll. For them to remove a sitter from a cash tourney wouldnt be right unless the house refunds there money so i wouldnt count on that lol. But i have sat on a table in a freeroll and im the only one there and didnt mind the free chips. But i dont like to have to play a free roll with a lot of sitters its really anoying.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sitting out doesnt give players any advantage so if a player who was sitting out comes up with a good hand there is nothing you can do about it. you shouldnt think that sitting out give players an edge because that not true you can try to isolate players even if the sitting out player come to play as he is going to fold most of the times anyways.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the sitters hand is not mucked if his chips are covered by blinds and he is all-in.

Not in a case if he has still many chips. His hand will be discarded automatically.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In live tournament, a sitting player has their cards mucked even when all in. Is this correct?

What do you mean in live tournament? When someone call your all-in how can your card be mucked? It's impossible neither in live no in online tournament. If I understand your question right!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the sitter posts the BB, he/she is still in the hand until somebody makes a bet. So if everybody just limps into the pot preflop, and then checks it down through all three streets, the BB cards would still be live and would be flipped over at the end. If he wins, he gets the pot. I've seen it happen before in my Pub League. All somebody has to do is do a min bet to get the BB out of the pot, then his cards are tossed into the muck.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What do you mean in live tournament? When someone call your all-in how can your card be mucked? It's impossible neither in live no in online tournament. If I understand your question right!

You're not at the table. I've never seen a dealer flip over someone's cards for them to win a pot. Pretty sure it's mucked. If it's not, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Last edited:
onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You're not at the table. I've never seen a dealer flip over someone's cards for them to win a pot. Pretty sure it's mucked. If it's not, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

if i call your allin you must yourself flip over your card! if i fold, nobody can do it except you(if u want to do it) if you r not at the table u cant get the card! Whats the problem with this question?

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can give a sitting out player a walk online can't you

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At full tilt, sitting out can beat you with their last chips. Surreal! lol

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
if i call your allin you must yourself flip over your card! if i fold, nobody can do it except you(if u want to do it) if you r not at the table u cant get the card! Whats the problem with this question?

Can you call from the toilet?

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably a question best suited for whatever poker room you are talking about. Live, in all the places I've played, if you aren't there the cards are mucked automatically, end of story.

melinreno

melinreno

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the sitter posts the BB, he/she is still in the hand until somebody makes a bet. So if everybody just limps into the pot preflop, and then checks it down through all three streets, the BB cards would still be live and would be flipped over at the end. If he wins, he gets the pot. I've seen it happen before in my Pub League. All somebody has to do is do a min bet to get the BB out of the pot, then his cards are tossed into the muck.

yes, online this is how it goes

if a raise is put in before, the sitters cards are mucked , unless they are already all-in from a blind

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also do not like the sitters hand being live when they are all in, I know it is usually just one bb but I have seen them win time and time again with rags and it is frustrating. There was a site that would boot you from a tourney when you sat out for 20 straight hands, or maybe it was 20 bb's, I don't remember that either but I know they were ejected from the tourney. I forget which one it was. I liked that rule. Sitting out can be an effective strategy in some situations so I am not against the practice, but I seem to see a lot of people who will push all in on the first hand or two with crap, win a huge pot and then sit out for considerable periods of time. I don't think this is a good strategy, but hey, whatever works for that person. I also see it a lot right before the bubble, people sit on their above small up to even above medium stacks just hoping that they have enough to make it to the money. It starts when there are 10-15 people left in a tourney. I find this a great time to add to my stack (or bust out and get them closer to their goal...which has been the case a lot lately..ha..maybe I should employ their strategy).
Live play, you are correct that the hand is mucked when it gets to them. They are dealt the cards. I have never been in a situation where there has been someone sitting out and their last BB is in play so I am going to trust that everyone else knows the applicable rule. I would find this very odd in live play though, but there are other rules that piss me off just as much. In live play, if a player walks away from the table, his hand is supposed to be mucked. I was in a situation where I was in the BB, a guy had min raised from UTG+1 and it was folded around to the button, who called and I also called with Qs9s. The flop came Ks Jd 8s. UTG+1 put in a half pot bet, it was called by the button and I also called, the turn was As. UTG+1 bet half pot, button pushed all in, I called and UTG+1 called. We turn over the cards and UTG+1 has J8, Button has K 10 and I have the nut flush. UTG+1 curses, says he didn't even see the flush and then walks away and the dealer turns the river and it's another 8. He quickly came back for his chips. Should have been a dead hand. I know we see it alot on TV but the rule is that if you walk away from the table, your hand is dead.
I don't really have a point to make, maybe, there are always going to be frustrating things in life. Don't let it get to you.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sometimes when the blinds and (antes ) are huge , an allin poster who is sitting out winds up scooping, and wins 4 or more big blinds . its really only troublesome at the bubble , and when you are one of the shorties who is at risk of busting . the absent player may wind up lasting 2 or 3 more rounds , and then the process may repeat itself .

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Interesting argument. Does it really matter that much though? Happens a lot in small MTT where players just dont enter but usually u will just raise and they fold or they will be blinded out to a point where it doesnt even matter if they have a big hand

E

Ehimon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres something, if you play live tournament poker and you are not at the table your hand is dead, so why is it at some poker rooms the sitters out still win hands? it shouldnt be allowed, every time you raise to isolate, the sitter comes up with a massive hand:eek: and stays in the tourney, I dont think this is right and the hand should be folded the same as in a live tourney ...
what do other people think about this?:confused:

It is unfortunate if you lose to a player who was sitting out but in the reverse perception it would be great to get back into the game with a good hand after sitting out for whatever reason