Sitting Out

D

dkee18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I the only one this bothers? You're playing in a tournament, get down to the final, let's say 10%, and then half of your table starts sitting out, just trying to wait for the hand for hand to begin. Here's my rant for the day. This is NOT playing poker. If you are really that good, you would take your chances and play the hands like the rest of us.

burntrider

burntrider

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a MTT with 2 tables left, i took down a huge pot that put me in the lead by almost double 2nd place's stack. Already ITM when we reached 5 tables a few hours earlier, i decided to sit out and eat something before the final table was formed. I figured that i'd be folding almost everything anyway.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I the only one this bothers? You're playing in a tournament, get down to the final, let's say 10%, and then half of your table starts sitting out, just trying to wait for the hand for hand to begin. Here's my rant for the day. This is NOT playing poker. If you are really that good, you would take your chances and play the hands like the rest of us.

dkee18, I am not saying i like it but you have to be able to understand what is going on. If this is a freeroll tourney most of hte players are just trying to get in the money anyway and when the player count gets close to the bubble a lot of people with not playing anything short of aces or kings. I read a pro poker tip on fulll tilt that stated to be careful but it is the right time to try and steal the blinds and antes if you have anything worth playing.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yummy. Free blinds. ;)
That's what I was going to say - sit outs tend not to defend their blinds very aggressively in my experience - you can raise a wide range of hands against them.

T_inc

T_inc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate those sit-out wussies but its a legitimate strategy so the rooms cant do anything about it (they explane it on stars) i see them as cowardly vultures and not pokerplayers i can handle it pretty well if i go broke or a bad beat but when i get kicked out of a tourney bfore a sit out wuss man oh man it annoys the !@#$#@! out of me

B

Bearcat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's so hard to say, I never put much thought into it other than the fact they must be confident players to be able to let us eat up their blinds. Now that has been pointed out it will probably bug me...LOL
Thank you very much....
I do notice that when I let the little things get to me it tends to throw my game.
Good luck in all you do.......Bearcat

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Why the problem ?

Its bonus time. Whilst they are sitting out then they are losing their blinds. More for you to pick up..

snowsurfer31

snowsurfer31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although it is annoying, it does give the larger stacks a huge advantage, being that the shorter stacks aren't gonna risk the chips to call without a really good hand. Usually I'm the one with the shorter stack, but I don't just sit out and play the top few hands. I still play aggressively, just tighter on what hands I play.

jmfkbuzzy

jmfkbuzzy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't stand those guys... play or leave. That's my two cents.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very annoying...
I just placed 32nd in a freeroll I took part (hosted by doesn't matter) and was 5 places away from the money.
6 of the guys on my table were sitting out, 1 big guy (the chip-leader) and I (15th at that time) were playing, I was BB, held AKo and called a raise from the button (the chip-leader) wich was 1000 (BB=500).
He wanted to push me out, SB folded.
Flop was AsKh3s - I bet 4000 of my 8700 - he called (he had 85K).
turn 10h (no help) -I bet 2K - he called
river 5c - now I went all in
......and got called - he held 2-4 for a straight.
Nice suck-out and hard to believe that the leader played that "donk" -hand but that's not the point.....
20 of the players got into the money without playing and I got busted by a bad beat but I would always play that hand.

I might have gone all in earlier but he would have maybe called nevertheless. I wanted him to pay.

I thought I would double up and have a chance for the final table - I will try again.

Last edited:
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very annoying...
I just placed 32nd in a freeroll I took part (hosted by doesn't matter) and was 5 places away from the money.
6 of the guys on my table were sitting out, 1 big guy (the chip-leader) and I (15th at that time) were playing, I was BB, held AKo and called a raise from the button (the chip-leader) wich was 1000 (BB=500).
He wanted to push me out, SB folded.
Flop was AsKh3s - I bet 4000 of my 8700 - he called (he had 85K).
turn 10h (no help) -I bet 2K - he called
river 5c - now I went all in
......and got called - he held 2-4 for a straight.
Nice suck-out and hard to believe that the leader played that "donk" -hand but that's not the point.....
20 of the players got into the money without playing and I got busted by a bad beat but I would always play that hand.

I might have gone all in earlier but he would have maybe called nevertheless. I wanted him to pay.

I thought I would double up and have a chance for the final table - I will try again.

The only one who donked that hand was you. On the flop you held the top two pair and bet it cheap!!!:eek::eek:

What you should've done was try to push him off the hand by going all in and taking it down.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only one who donked that hand was you. On the flop you held the top two pair and bet it cheap!!!:eek::eek:

What you should've done was try to push him off the hand by going all in and taking it down.

I know that going all in after flop would have been better, I was too greedy...
and wanted him to pay.

But that was not the point - I could have sat out, too and didn't.
...and I won't...

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You don't want to get value out of 2 pair on a flop like that?

Anyway, sitters = free money. One time everyone at my table was sitting out. I went from 800 chips to 12k in 10 minutes, and ended up 14th of ~600 people.

B

bombomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try your best to raise everything and play aggressive at this time, when the sit outs see their stacks dwindle from blinds and anies theyll come back and then you kill them :)

M

MrHoros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ones that really bother me are the stallers. I'm usaually playing freerolls that don't pay that big anyway. I'm looking to win just for personal pride.

This is a great time to move up.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the freerolls at Absolute poker is you don't like sit outs, they all get removed at the start of the 2nd blind level. Anyone know of any other sites that do this?

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found myself stocking 5-6k in blinds through the toughest part of a tournament because everyone is sitting out. I prefer to take the 15-30 second that I get (at fulltilt) which over the course of a game eats away a lot of time and can help you get into the money. I still play, look at hands, and make decisions; however, I am folding a ton of hands. It is extremely frustrating; however, it is something that must be dealt with in online poker.

T

thebiatch22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i also hate the sit out players but i sure do love to take the blinds away from them thus making my stack larger to use against them when they do decide to play look at it this way the more they sit out the better odds you have playing your hands anyways the less players the better your odds

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting out can be a legit strategy for many reasons, it is part of the game, not to know how to use it is a disadvantage. I am really good, and like to watch you impatient donks take your chances when I dont have to, while sitting out for my own reasons... He he he...

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last year at the 2007 wsop if Scotty Nguyen had taken a time out with his very large stack and gotten a cup of coffee and read the newspaper and came back he wouldve made the final table. Instead he blew up and lost his stack for no reason. And missed the final table. Sometimes its good to take a break.

Z

zahemp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was chip stack leader against a bunch of very low chip stacks and we were right and the bubble and I found that the entire table just clicked sit out. It was extremely boring but easy because I just raised every hand and got an automatic fold.
When someone did come back they called my raise on the hand I had AK and they had KQ. Hit the king and beat them with my kicker. People that sit out have the worst timing...

B

bma_mat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are low on chips, and about to be knocked out, but there are people with even less chips, and it's the bubble, sitting out is your best bet, to make it into the cash.

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats the difference if you sit out or just fold every hand waiting for a monster to bet on. I'd prefer not to miss out on AA or KK because I sat out but I might not want play otherwise.

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who care if you sit out or not? Take his/her blind.