Should Poker be taught in schools?

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that school teaches everything you don't need to know (geometry and algebra) and nothing you do: relationships, sex, money management and how to make it, self-confidence, etc...

One may learn some valuable things about character in athletics--but that's a small subset of the population.

Every once in awhile a school gets a chess program going to kind of prove that this kind of thing helps kids in many ways--including academically (though the current World Chess Champ is a dropout).

But I'm thinking about everything I learn from poker--
Risk management
Evaluating people
Being patient
Decision making...

It goes on and on.

Should poker be taught in schools? What do you think?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can say the same thing about Monopoly,,,,there is enough time for games after school.:p

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this a serious question?:confused::confused::confused:

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Don't care about that but i still remember how my classmates used to play cards between the lessons :D - even our history teacher said back then that it's not normal somewhere else(don't remember exact location though anymore) so yeah ... i guess back then(and perhaps to this day) it is still the closest you can get to play poker in school or whatever :rolleyes:

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker it's not the only game that teaches that. Although the education system needs a revolution. There has to be a better way

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe as an alternative or optional subject. And not as a regular matter.

Poker has its good side, but it also needs a lot of head, and that the young people of today do not own.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They drill into kids heads how bad gambling is but never once think to teach kids how to be a successful gambler. Not much time is spent explaining bankroll management or pitfalls like chasing losses or placing bets when the odds arent in your favor. Of course these skills could be used in many walks of life like running a successful business or having success investing.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker in Schools

Yes it could be exploited for didactic purposes as they have a lot of strategy and math in decisions as well as being a good test of patience and control emotions
Poker is without doubt very effective when dealing with enteder our decisions and that goes for any segment in the life

:jd4:mateuspoker

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s a nice thought it would of benighted me a lot especially in maths and maybe even life management but I feel as though it would be considered to encourage gambling by any governing authority

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can say the same thing about Monopoly,,,,there is enough time for games after school.:p

Yes. And by "after school" I mean after college graduation. :D

kaktyc

kaktyc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The school provides basic knowledge and then the student chooses the path of development and interests.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will never happen, there are enough anti gambling lobbyists already, Poker has a direct correlation to gambling so they will never allow this to be taught as part of a any child's education.
There are more than enough number skills already on card games for children to learn from, Poker however is never going to be one of those ...:)

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some universities like Berkeley do teach poker.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is nonsense. Poker itself consists of many sciences. Why teach him at school. At school you need to give basic knowledge. Where we take scientists, writers, inventors, etc., If we study poker and other card games. Universities are engaged in specialization. So, organize the University of Poker and train students)).

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It seems to me that school teaches everything you don't need to know (geometry and algebra) and nothing you do: relationships, sex, money management and how to make it, self-confidence, etc...

One may learn some valuable things about character in athletics--but that's a small subset of the population.

Every once in awhile a school gets a chess program going to kind of prove that this kind of thing helps kids in many ways--including academically (though the current World Chess Champ is a dropout).

But I'm thinking about everything I learn from poker--
Risk management
Evaluating people
Being patient
Decision making...

It goes on and on.

Should poker be taught in schools? What do you think?

I think it is but in the normal curriculum, ie; math, economics, and business management. All of which are aspects of poker. If they taught the game of poker in schools it seems that would lead to financial institutions loaning bankrolls to investors. I mean not to say I'm against that idea, it sounds lucrative at best. I just don't see banks and credit unions loaning $ to folks to play poker. :evil:

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think poker is for everyone, a lot of people can easily get addicted to gambling, so I don't think its a wise choice, also the backlash from many parents would be insane.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not imagine learning poker in schools, even such thoughts did not arise.With such thoughts, let's teach prostitution or how to use drugs at school...

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not say the Poker (Literally) but the values ​​you listed, yes (improve the current system) unless we are satisfied how things are now... :call2:

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with trying to bring poker into a school is that you cannot really separate poker from wagers and gambling. Sure, you can teach them to play without using money, but if you take all prizes out of the game, it just seems pointless. There are two other games that are much better for developing minds; chess and go.

There are so many other things we need to do to improve public schools, I think poker is at the very bottom of the list, if it is on the list at all.

710suited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker involves gambling, so not gonna happen.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that's a bad idea. You forget that poker is primarily a gambling game. And in many countries gambling is prohibited by law.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think this should be taught in public schools, college sure.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it seems I have poked a hornet's nest with this one...

I guess I shall have to polish my rhetorical prowess...