Short deck poker?

W

wrapper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other day I was watching poker videos and I came across one with Tom Dwan talking about short deck poker, also known as Six-Plus Hold 'Em.

In this game, you remove all the twos through fives from the deck; aces can still be high or low in a straight (A-6-7-8-9); and the hand ranking is changed because some premium hands are easier or harder to get (three of a kind beats a straight; a flush beats a full house).

This changes a lot of the math. For example, the odds of flopping a set increase, and the odds of hitting an open-ended straight draw increase, while the odds of hitting a flush decrease.

To me, this is just a gimmick, something we might have tried in college or at a family home game (like, using the jokers, or playing draw poker with a pinochle deck). And, lot of players are going to play a lot of hands, increasing the element of luck.

Has anyone tried this game? If so, what are your impressions of it?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps this game is something that will breathe fresh strength into poker. It really is a good game. Yes, the seniority of combinations seems unusual, and strong hands are obtained more often, but otherwise it is all the same Hold'em, without nonsense like double boards, magic cards, super jokers, and similar miracles. Math works. It is distinguished by probabilities from Texas Hold'em with a deck of 52 cards. But she works.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was very refreshing to see this being played live on the triton poker series. Interesting format, very good for TV as it's sooo action packed.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's someone who wants to come and play a new game of poker, I did not like it and I would not play poker in this way.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other day I was watching poker videos and I came across one with Tom Dwan talking about short deck poker, also known as Six-Plus Hold 'Em.

In this game, you remove all the twos through fives from the deck; aces can still be high or low in a straight (A-6-7-8-9); and the hand ranking is changed because some premium hands are easier or harder to get (three of a kind beats a straight; a flush beats a full house).

This changes a lot of the math. For example, the odds of flopping a set increase, and the odds of hitting an open-ended straight draw increase, while the odds of hitting a flush decrease.

To me, this is just a gimmick, something we might have tried in college or at a family home game (like, using the jokers, or playing draw poker with a pinochle deck). And, lot of players are going to play a lot of hands, increasing the element of luck.

I had never heard about this new poker variable, it sounds really interesting, if it is not too much to ask, could you leave the link where you read it ??? Thank you.:cool:

W

wrapper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had never heard about this new poker variable, it sounds really interesting, if it is not too much to ask, could you leave the link where you read it ??? Thank you.:cool:
This was the video I saw. After that I just googled to find out more about rules and stuff.

A

Avvavva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This "poker" variation makes no sense.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's a newish game that generates a lot of action. Gimmick / not gimmick - what does it matter? It is now just another variant of poker. Like mixed games.

You would be surprised how many players that are new to the game don't bother to read the new rules - even when they are posted. This is really where the fish are.

Almost every starting hand is ~50% preflop.

If you don't enjoy it - then I recommend not playing it. Just like if you don't like Omaha or razz. If you want a challenge then try to learn the nuances and adjust your game accordingly.

Good luck !

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I am not really a fan of this type of poker game at all. If you want to play a game with more action just play pot limit omaha. Regular texas holdem no limit poker does not need to be changed or adjusted in any way other than there needs to be a 30 sec shot clock so nobody can tank for ridiculous amounts of time.

J

jetforce

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe with you Howell, doesn't interest me that much. I prefer the old fashion way with 52 cards and the best hand wins.
I guess with less cards, they haven't even figured out if a flush beats a full house or the opposite yet? No set criteria who wins

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of many poker strategies. There is no perfect strategy. Choose your strategy and play.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of many poker strategies. There is no perfect strategy. Choose your strategy and play.

I agree. Most players are still trying to find their optimal strategy.

Some players I have talked with are considering increasing their aggression or increasing their passivity.

Good luck !