Serious question

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have noticed I play better poker live and online if I have had a couple drinks. It helps me stay calm and not make impulsive decisions.

Anyone else notice this?

S.Powell

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mental game..

For me, cards and being hammered, I just say no; not at the same time. For others, a drink or smoke helps them out. If I drink, it doesn't maximize my wins, but the buzz does dull the pain of losing.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
It depends in every player, for some having drinks make them take bad decisions, for you is the oposite.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, over time I have learned the opposite, stop drinking and improve my game. At first it cost me but it is a way to be more alert and reason much better. This also cost me my emotions, I have to control them. Regrads

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In some cases drinking one beer (but just one 0.5L beer and not more) helps me to relax after work and play a little bit better. Anything more than that though have negative effect on my game.

NINTENDO777

NINTENDO777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't do alcohol, so I can't know really.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to often play live with alcohol. But drinking a little did not work. When the action of alcohol passed I have to drink another. In the end, I played and drank almost all night. Sometimes won, sometimes lost. Now I realized that I get more pleasure from the game when I'm sober. Better to play sober.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play online poker I dont drink alcohol. When it comes to playing live poker with friends, I drink occasionally but only treat it as fun and enjoyment. Everyone has their own opinion on it.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play live poker, a few drinks helps me calm the nerves a bit.. Any more than a few is not a good idea though..

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is that poker and alcohol are not compatible.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But alcohol dulls thinking and reaction. You will increase the dose over time and will generally play drunk. You need to reduce the portion of alcohol with each game in order to refuse it altogether.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have noticed I play better poker live and online if I have had a couple drinks. It helps me stay calm and not make impulsive decisions.

Anyone else notice this?

S.Powell

This is a slippery slope, because it turns the focus on an external factor. If you start losing, are you going to start drinking more to compensate? You should beware of relying on alcohol to make you calm and impulsive.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I am convinced that alcohol, on the contrary, interferes with concentration. I prefer coffee or tea.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, not at all. On the contrary - if I take even a sip of alco, it ruins my gameplay greatly.

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple

For me, cards and being hammered, I just say no; not at the same time. For others, a drink or smoke helps them out. If I drink, it doesn't maximize my wins, but the buzz does dull the pain of losing.

Gave me a good laugh, I said a couple not a dozen haha.

O

Oakleydc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Anyone else notice this?

S.Powell

For poker games that are a sport, in fact the use of alcohol will make you lose more money than win. At the moment you realize that you can get loose, but you will not make wise decisions that you would have if you were sober and using the timebank to make the best decisions. Yes, the loss in a tournament this pain is psychologica

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing wrong with having A beer but not to excess. Too many beers, too many pee breaks and then you miss a good han when you are gone to the can !!!

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont drink but I like when the people I am playing against are drinking.:):):)

thebigdrodney

thebigdrodney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, its a good way to lose your bankroll if you're hammered at the table.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
For me drinks and poker are not going well ... they distract me a lot and I don't focus on what my opponents are doing ...!