Self-control

Rico Calde

Rico Calde

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How important is self-control in poker? If you were to rank it, where would you rank in level of importance? What would you rank above it?

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of all the poker strategies that experts use and suggest to players, the most important is self-control. it is an essential element for those who want to become masters in the art of winning at poker. it is impossible to put in place good strategies without good discernment. effective poker face and excellent reflexes. All these qualities are unfortunately lost once the emotions get involved. The best way to develop self-control is to rehearse and practice over and over to keep your cool.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's the most important skill that you can develop to be a successful poker player. Of course be good in reading the others players and know everything about poker theory are the skills that will make you win a big prize in tournaments or cash games, but if you don't have self control you will ended up losing all the money that you work hard to win.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello,

Great topic

For me, self control is the most important thing I should focus on! I have to accept the downswings and else and keep up with my game!

I think, for every poker player, self control is one of the most important issues one should focus on!

gl gl gl

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
self control

Self control is all important and i would put nothing above it as without thus quality you will never win or be successful at poker and for that matter life itself !!!!

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me this is also the most important thing in poker. Especially in tournaments it is so important to keep yourself in control and to focus on your opponents.
Don't go with the craziness in the first hands. And especially when i get further in the tournament and have a lot of chips, i tend to play small players quickly. But at that moment i should not do that and quietly wait for the right cards. So yes, for me the most important thing in poker.
And oh yes, not being drunk also helps;)

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUmmm... nice point... thats it. I know why i never win. But...there are something to do that can improve the selfe control??

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one of the most important things...for an example... folding of losing pocket aces

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think patience and discipline are the most important things in poker. But patience and discipline are an integral part of self-control. That is, I believe that only a player who can control himself can be patient and disciplined.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self-control and discipline I think is the most important trait not only for poker, but also for a person to achieve any goal. Without self-control, you will not be able to force yourself to do something, learn something new, become the best at something. Therefore, this is the most important feature. With hard work and patience, you can surpass any intelligence in poker.:)

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self-control and discipline I think is the most important trait not only for poker, but also for a person to achieve any goal.

I think that's 100% true but for poker I think self control and discipline are even more important. If you want to be a great recreational chess player you have to work hard at it but you won't get bad beats in chess and you're not playing for money. When you lose a chess game there will alway be at least one mistake that you made that led to it, and basically your opponent outplayed you. OTOH in poker you can play a better game and still lose money to an opponent who it not as skilled as you are.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that in whatever situation I am in whether I'm on a losing streak or a winning streak, I just keep my cool and just accept the situation.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is the fundamental part of every Poker player. If we do not have self-control we will end up losing everything always. Knowing how to face bad streaks, knowing when to leave and when to stop playing a game, and dealing with bad losses of large amounts of money and being able to stop and try again in the best way, is one of the fundamental and most important things you should have a poker player.

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because I was Tennis Player I have Self-control in poker this thing is very important :p

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rationality, I would rate higher. Self-control is important. But you also need to give an outlet to emotions, especially in poker. You know yourself when a big Bank is going to the pulse quickens. When the crucial moment and I don't think that the vegetable will go far in poker. I like these types of players are more open, such as the type of Daniel Negreanu.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a thing i still need to learn. Tilt is a bad thing, when i lost 3 buy-ins i should have gone to bed, but no i decided to play spin 'n go and lost another 3 buy-ins. Now i just move off from my pc and chill. Baby steps but i am better with every day.
I have alway been like this, when i used to play Lol or Dota i couldn't go to bed with lose, i had to win, instead short session i stayed few extra hours.

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean as self control? Control of your emotions or keep your strategy or money management or game of chance only? I think if you start to explain I'll find that all of the aspects are included in some way. As I understand this - if you have self control you play according your strategy. And your strategy is everything I wrote upper. It's volume of bet it's chance of stacks it's change of hand, position and your opponents styles and etc. If you don't have it you'll lose your stack by making mistakes one by one.

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s very important. Because, no one wins without self-control...

Rico Calde

Rico Calde

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s very important. Because, no one wins without self-control...
People can still win but to be successful in the long run I feel it's the most important thing.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Without self control you wont be able to win a good tournament, you will lose cricial hands in the game, you will basically lose every single cent you bet.

Rico Calde

Rico Calde

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without self control you wont be able to win a good tournament, you will lose cricial hands in the game, you will basically lose every single cent you bet.
Right on! I've asked many people before "what they think is the most important thing a person needs to have to be successful in poker?" & no one has ever said self-control. I feel it is the most important thing. Thanks TulasMoreno!

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self control is extremely important. In all aspects of life.

My rankings:
1 - Reading other players. Knowing the hand an opponent has is an advantage that is trumped by nothing else.
2 - Patience is so important. Poker is a game of waiting. If you aren't willing to accept the fact that you may go an hour or more without winning one put, you won't profit in the long run.
3 - Self control. Having the discipline to fold strong hands and refraining from bluffing can mean the difference in winning or losing any game.
4 - odds. Knowing your outs isn't always helpful and can actually keep you in hands that turn out to be a loss. But it can also help win pots. This goes hand in hand with self control. Sometimes you should fold despite favorable odds.
5 - Body language. Don't let others tag you as a fish who has all kinds of tells.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self control Very important

I have noticed that a bad player with self control tends to always be in your game. A lot of great players lose that self control because of the lie they tell themselves that they are Ready to take it to the next level.

How many times have you seen some grind a tourney make it to final with a huge stack but once he gets it in his mind he loses self control. He starts Raising bigger and taking more risk to end the game quicker. Ten minutes in the final table and hes railed wondering why his luck is so bad.

SELF CONTROL is the most important thing in life as well as poker. Learn to control your self and you will see a different YOU.