ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Today that players are one step ahead. Old school (Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, etc) or new school (Linus Loeliger, Adrian Mateos, etc)?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The new school has an advantage over the old school because it has thousands upon thousands of hands played in online poker.
Most of the old school are live players, and live cannot be played at several tables at the same time, instead online, you can play at many tables, and that gives you more experience, so the new school has more advantage , players like bencb789, sasuke234, isidlur1, amadi17, Linus Loeliger, etc.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it difficult to collect - where was the case when oldschool was better than new school. If new school was worse than old, there wouldnt be such a thing as new school in the first place.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is much more influenced by mathematics today which makes the game much more dependent on skill than luck (at least on higher levels). As new players today we have the advantage to be able to use wide variety of useful information (books, videos, courses and so on) which simply did not exist 10 or more years ago. And 50 years ago when the really old school players like Doyle Brunson played there was not a single book for poker and the only way to learn was by trial and error approach. We are very lucky to play in this new era of poker.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Old school ! The old school were always way more entertaining as well compared to the new headphones crew :)

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that the new school is essential for you to have the base to play live mainly.

Now online, with the knowledge of the old school combined with new concepts with the push fold system and the most overwhelming amount, you can add your game.

For me, I always read books of the old choice and then look for content from the new one, always in complement.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without thinking twice about the old school, not least because the new school certainly learned from the old school and has to respect it.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think old scholl wins the contest. Daniel Negreanu is the best of all.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i go for the old school, poker is an art, sometimes people go only for a game.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today that players are one step ahead. Old school (Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, etc) or new school (Linus Loeliger, Adrian Mateos, etc)?

If Ivey and Negreanu are old school they sure do adapt to all changes in poker. Otherwise we be referring to them as old news.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I felt so old. Since my childhood, I have watched rare TV shows with the final tables of poker tournaments, when Dan Harrington, Gus Hansen, Doyle Brunson were considered players of the old school, who gradually lost their positions to the New school, representatives of which were just Negreanu and Phil Ivey, who played an unusual for that time progressive poker.

And now, many years later, they are old-school players. Even though I'm not 30 yet!:D:D

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer the question, the new school will always be a little ahead, because they bring new ideas, new solutions and new strategies to poker, and the old school always has to go along with the updated principles of the game in order not to be left out of the game.

But there are poker basics that you can always follow to stay a winning player regardless of any changes in poker.:)

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Old school itself implies the fact of more experience. Yes, and the players of the old school for me by name are more by ear. I choose an old school:D

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is constantly changing and players must also change their game in order to win.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The old school taught the new school, so the old one would be my choice ... But it is worth remembering that a good student one day outperforms the teacher.

Although online poker can be more profitable than live poker (where the new school ends up having more advantage)

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The new school has an advantage against the old school. Because it´s getting advance day after day like a technology & science.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion they are equivalent, but in the online game the new school would have a small advantage, something normal due to the evolution of the game itself!

S

scindor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If old school or new school definatly depends on the single player, you cant say that in general.
But one thing. Phil Ivey is in my eyes the sickest player on earth. I don´t want to sound like a Fanboy. Hard to think about someone better than him

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the new school of players has an advantage over the old players. Poker today with the boom in online poker, brought new players to a technical analysis and understanding of the game that I personally think puts them way ahead of others.

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult question. I think both schools are good, the main thing is to work on your game

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 of them are good. However, new school has advantages. Becuase, the younger generation has a favor to skill up than the old generation.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Old school wins

I see that new school plays with a much wider range. Meaning that they could push old school off hands better. However, if you stick to small ball poker, I think you can win more with old school tactics in live poker. In tournaments at least. Because you survive longer and will take down new school players when they get too fancy. So long as they don't peg you as a passive player. Poker today is a lot more complicated. I try to learn from it, but I am comfortable with my old school style - and really enjoy watching the pros who continue to play old school.

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both, you never have to use only one. The basics and the huds, the study and the risk, the old make a good player and the new make too.
But only the player who know both can be one great player.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am not sure the two schools bear much comparison to each other.

Older style players had an intuition which I am not sure is matched in today's game. But, they cannot beat either the volume or studying that comprises the modern game. The modern players are unquestionably technically more sound.

Citing Negreanu as a player who spans both does not cut it for me. Negreanu does not compete regularly at the highest levels because he knows his game will not stand up to that competition. He picks and chooses where and when he plays outside of the wsop which is smart and plus EV.

If looking for someone who still competes at the highest level after decades playing I would nominate Erik Seidel. That said even he has dialed his schedule back and has been quite open about looking ahead to the possibility the newer generation will so regularly outplay him he might withdraw from the high rollers completely.

Apart from Seidel, the only other I would pose as being truly competitive from the old school is Phil Ivey. He has a heady mixture of intuition and degen gambler. When on a roll he is fearless.

All that said, I honestly think old school does not hold a candle to new school, but this does not mean old school is without merit.