Remember the good to forget the bad

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just coming out of a month long slump--down $55 from mostly $2 buy-in mtt at ACR, only two cashes from about 40 games, numerous bad beats and failed draws--and I noticed that it is much easier to maintain mental toughness and positive outlook at the end of a bad day at the tables if you can somehow focus on all of the great plays and reads you made throughout the day rather than the really bad beats, especially the ones that knock you out. Even if you only made one or two great plays in the face of several dozen terrible beats, it can help.

I was thinking about that today as I got knocked out after turning the wheel straight and being DOA to the 6 high straight, as my opponent was holding 66. I realized that it is much harder to remember the good hands and great plays you made earlier when you run into bit of a cooler. So I thought that next time I will make notes on the hands where I felt I made great decisions and reads, that way I can go back and review them after those inevitable game ending hands that can ruin your day if you let them.

I don't have a natural talent to maintain a calm and cool head when the worst luck comes my way. It is something that I have to constantly work on. This game can be cruel, and it has a way of sometimes rewarding the worst kind of play while punishing the best. To have any success you really have to stay positive and keep moving forward while focusing on the task at hand: playing to the best of your ability while making the fewest mistakes possible. To achieve this kind of mental game is a form of success in the game in and of itself.

Does anyone else have any little mental tricks to help themselves avoid anger and tilt either during or after playing?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes knowing you made the right call is the only thing to hold on too. Poker can be hard to deal with when you can do everything absolutely right and still come up short.

Accepting that is hard at times, especially when you going through some bad variance. Have to remind yourself that you want people to make bad calls. Being ahead in the hand but not getting the right results is a victory.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just coming out of a month long slump--down $55 from mostly $2 buy-in mtt at ACR, only two cashes from about 40 games, numerous bad beats and failed draws--and I noticed that it is much easier to maintain mental toughness and positive outlook at the end of a bad day at the tables if you can somehow focus on all of the great plays and reads you made throughout the day rather than the really bad beats, especially the ones that knock you out. Even if you only made one or two great plays in the face of several dozen terrible beats, it can help.

I was thinking about that today as I got knocked out after turning the wheel straight and being DOA to the 6 high straight, as my opponent was holding 66. I realized that it is much harder to remember the good hands and great plays you made earlier when you run into bit of a cooler. So I thought that next time I will make notes on the hands where I felt I made great decisions and reads, that way I can go back and review them after those inevitable game ending hands that can ruin your day if you let them.

I don't have a natural talent to maintain a calm and cool head when the worst luck comes my way. It is something that I have to constantly work on. This game can be cruel, and it has a way of sometimes rewarding the worst kind of play while punishing the best. To have any success you really have to stay positive and keep moving forward while focusing on the task at hand: playing to the best of your ability while making the fewest mistakes possible. To achieve this kind of mental game is a form of success in the game in and of itself.

Does anyone else have any little mental tricks to help themselves avoid anger and tilt either during or after playing?

Biologically and psychologically speaking, we are more prone to remember unfortunate events in order to avoid repeating them hence the "survival" factor we humans have. One mental trick I have after playing is analyzing the hands I played and figuring out whether I made the right play. Another thing too is attitude in that you want to look at your performances in the long run.

Robin Moura

Robin Moura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes remember the good times helps to forget the evil

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I play an inexpensive tournament of 0.25 cents -0.50-and $ 1, then I play passively and don’t spill over to such games, and when I play 2-3-5-10 $ tournaments then I try to focus on playing a game and making fewer mistakes in the game, if my- card plays well in tournaments, that’s great for me, but if the card plays bad it means I’m not lucky in such a game, I continue to play on and try to win in such tournaments!

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have gone through similar moments and are in fact disheartening, if not faced in the right way, my friend. Something that helps to better deal with the phases where it seems that nothing we do will work to be sure that it is only possible to measure whether a player is good or bad in the long run, just as if a play carried out at any given time is profitable , or not. I see many players discouraging or "losing faith" very quickly in similar situations without being able to understand that evolution as a player comes from a constant work of study and consequently learning; is undeniable: it is and always will be part of the process. When I go through such moments (whether short or long), I just try to think that I may have lost, but that I have tried to execute the lucrative logos in the long run. At some point we will have to deal with down swing, bad run and the existing variance due to the randomness of the deck. So the point is to move on, leave the last session behind and prepare for the next!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Really like your post! Yes the mental side of Poker is huge and often under appreciated. A trick my Dad would tell me growing up, can be used for other areas of life than just poker is: Win as if you expect it, lose as if you like it. Act like you have been there before when you do well, and when you lose, find the positive in it and learn to brush it off! This has helped me over time!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes knowing you made the right call is the only thing to hold on too. Poker can be hard to deal with when you can do everything absolutely right and still come up short.

Accepting that is hard at times, especially when you going through some bad variance. Have to remind yourself that you want people to make bad calls. Being ahead in the hand but not getting the right results is a victory.
Yes absolutely. This is a good sign! If you are getting it in ahead that is where you want to be! If you find yourself losing w/ the worst hand then this is an issue & it is an entirely different conversation that you need to be having!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biologically and psychologically speaking, we are more prone to remember unfortunate events in order to avoid repeating them hence the "survival" factor we humans have. One mental trick I have after playing is analyzing the hands I played and figuring out whether I made the right play. Another thing too is attitude in that you want to look at your performances in the long run.
Yes, this is powerful. Also there is often more then just the result of the hand to look at. Maybe you made a mistake by playing a hand you shouldn't have been in from the start. Don't always just look at the final result where the hand took place.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I play an inexpensive tournament of 0.25 cents -0.50-and $ 1, then I play passively and don’t spill over to such games, and when I play 2-3-5-10 $ tournaments then I try to focus on playing a game and making fewer mistakes in the game, if my- card plays well in tournaments, that’s great for me, but if the card plays bad it means I’m not lucky in such a game, I continue to play on and try to win in such tournaments!
I would say it is important to play the same way (practice as you play) no matter what the stakes are. This is important not to differentiate much & always play meaningful/winning poker or you can form bad habits!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have gone through similar moments and are in fact disheartening, if not faced in the right way, my friend. Something that helps to better deal with the phases where it seems that nothing we do will work to be sure that it is only possible to measure whether a player is good or bad in the long run, just as if a play carried out at any given time is profitable , or not. I see many players discouraging or "losing faith" very quickly in similar situations without being able to understand that evolution as a player comes from a constant work of study and consequently learning; is undeniable: it is and always will be part of the process. When I go through such moments (whether short or long), I just try to think that I may have lost, but that I have tried to execute the lucrative logos in the long run. At some point we will have to deal with down swing, bad run and the existing variance due to the randomness of the deck. So the point is to move on, leave the last session behind and prepare for the next!
Yes! Focus on the future & dont dwell on the past!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy poker and general and don't really care if I win MTTs or not. Though I try my best as of two weeks ago realizing how dangerous all -in are pre-flop.

I just shrugg and say "its just poker folks!"

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, as they said it, the things you did good about your game is what really what it's worth, when you have not obtained good after what lies past, this helps a lot to improve and get better results in the future.