Recommened Microstakes Poker Books?

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a microstakes no limit holdem book. Was tossing up between blackrains latest book or Jonathan littles latest book. They all seem much of a muchness to me really. Any recommendations?

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This book will help you to make less mistakes but definitely won't make you go pro:

52 Great Poker Tips: At Home, at Tournament and Online by Lou Krieger.

You can say it's nothing great but you cannot say it isn't good.

EVERiS7

EVERiS7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly man books are one of the least valuable ways to learn the game now a days. Try watching low-high stakes everyday grinders on Twitch.tv. Not only do these players give a good visual to be entertained by, they also explain their thoughts out loud and allow you to follow their hands along with them and learn multiple ways/streets you can play hands.

EVERiS7

EVERiS7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Youtube also is a massive source of learning material you can use to learn and then improve your own game.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly man books are one of the least valuable ways to learn the game now a days. Try watching low-high stakes everyday grinders on Twitch.tv. Not only do these players give a good visual to be entertained by, they also explain their thoughts out loud and allow you to follow their hands along with them and learn multiple ways/streets you can play hands.
I thought NJ and NV players can't play at BOL?

EVERiS7

EVERiS7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im from nj but moved to pa for college if you must know :D

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a microstakes no limit holdem book. Was tossing up between blackrains latest book or Jonathan littles latest book. They all seem much of a muchness to me really. Any recommendations?

Its kinda old but if your looking for a straight forward book, you should try polished poker. its a free ebook by John Anhalt. The reason i recommend this one is because you can get his advice here in cardschat. just post in his study group.

book:http:http://www.acepokersolutions.com/free-poker-books/

thread:https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/polished-poker-vol-i-study-group-227214//

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree yes I watch the grinders on twitch and YouTube. Got a lot of downtime at work so I like to read!

M

musicaltriads

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly dude i think just playing and learning from your own mistakes is best way to learn and experimenting with things and formulating strategies and counter strategies for each type of opponent you face.

also just as you mentioned microstakes specifically, pokers poker regardless of stakes so just try your best to get better at playing poker, there is no cookie cutter answers in this game for strategies at least in texas holdem no limit (its a pretty complex game really easy to learn hard to master) really games like omaha have more definite answers and strategies to winning due to how the games structured (so math and pot odds and implied take a big role in whether your profitable longeterm) texas is maths based too game theory its self is mathematical everything is but theres a lot of room in no limit texas holdem for exploitative play and winning pots without showdown or even seeing the river, there is in omaha too against bad/weak omaha players (that only go showdown with the nuts or near to it) but in omaha you must respect the math much more as if people are playing correctly in omaha there should be far more showdowns (due to price offered pot odds/even if say they think there beat im omaha depending on what price your being offered it should still be a call theres less of those scenarios in no limit holdem where folding too much is rarely a massive mistake) texas holdem no limit specifically makes the game more complex the fact you have a meagre 2 cards and its hard to even make strong hands means its well more complex (i as example feel relaxed playing omaha as im never really or rarely put in awkward situations or worried im making a mistake, i think im a fairly good omaha player prob better than i am than at texas as the game sort of just makes sense to me things click more innately, what i cant handle are downswings in that game ha as equitities run so much closer that game can drive you mad ocassionally lol) in no limit texas holdem though its a whole other ball game people try simplify texas too much when its anything but a simple game that whole easy to learn hard to master is very true, like some people always say well thats a clear fold or call or raise or whatever but its never that simple the correct answer can be a few things, then add to it well i know alot of people dont seem to take advantage of this but in texas you have the freedom to bet anything on any street exceeding the size of the pot thats powerful and opens up the game to far more creative plays (though lots of poker palyers are bit sheepish and stick to standard this standard that you gain a real edge i believe in no limit by using a more well thought out bet sizings and lines, remember do what everyone else is doing expect similar results and as majority of poker players are longterm losing ones that doesnt sound a good proposition so try think out the box a bit formualate your own strategies and yes pay attention and give respect to the math of the game but dont neccesarily think of it on a hand by hand street by street basis think about it or try think about it more in a big picture kinda way i mean theres -ev lines that you might take one hand that are plus +ev in the bigger picture sense as to what it sets up too and leads too later on in the game/session if that makes sense, so my advice is yh maybe get a book and read it but dont base your strategy on it maybe take whats benficial discard the rest if anything think of a profitable counter strategy to that strategy that you read in the book, it can also give you a deeper understanding about how certain pools or players are coming at this game and approaching it and in knowing that knowledge you can play more correctly/profitably against them).
anyway good luck.

tilt and emotional control and bankroll managements probably the biggest things you need to take seriously and work on unless your some psychopath or zen buddah sort of guy ha that never gets emotional or tilts while playing.

anyway good luck on your poker journey dude, id say best way to learn is to just think before you do anything in poker always ask yourself why your doing this or playing this hand raising it why your taking this line and not that one

Last edited:
W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would check out small ball by daniel negreanu. His theories have really helped me improve my game in tournament poker especially. If you are playing microstakes I would recommend looking up the small ball pdf on google to get strategy tips and play the freerolls to build your stack. If it works for you the proof is in the pudding

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any of Jonathan Little's books on microstakes are mint. I started playing poker awhile back. I read a bunch of the older books that were great at the time, but the game has changed. I had to adapt. I find Jonathan Little's books to be current and they have really brought my playing to a new level of winning.

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same here ,I bought 3 of his tournament books and did really well.

The_Times

The_Times

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sorry but you need to be absolutely brainless to play this limit. So do I. As I play freerolls because I want to learn poker and don't want to donate money and waste them I have to say that there is no absolutely logic on these limits. It seems to me that people are absolutely brainless, cause what they do and how they play has no sense. It's very strange. As soon as possible you must leave these limits. That's what I would recommend you to do)

A

AxelJPB77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategies

The books are also a good option since they will help you to poker a little more professional. But today there are more advantages to learn poker more accessible and faster through videos on YouTube, peculas or simply practicing every day.:burnout:

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little has some good small stakes books that are also audio books. They're good.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books are outdated very fast. Nowadays the game is always changing, it is always good to learn at the moment I say in the current situation what else to be using. What are the techniques of the current players that are profitable as most are playing what they are doing.

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Initial microstakes books I read and liked:
  • Nathan Williams. https://www.blackrain79.com/ [you already mentioned this]
  • Master Micro Stakes Poker by Alton Hardin [you get a free video course w/ purchase]
They provided a good basic overview. I also liked the books by Sky Matsuhashi -- they're more focused on proper study technique though.

Next step for me is more advanced books. Like The Grinder's Manual by Peter Clarke. I like how Clarke writes -- I wish I could find a tournament book written in a similar style.