Raising "pot" preflop in online poker.

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The blinds are $0.10/$0.25, you are UTG, and you click "bet pot", and the betting bar climbs to $0.85.

I don't get it. The pot added up is $0.10 + $0.25 = $0.35. If i bet the pot, i should raise an additional $0.35, which makes $0.70.

Where did the extra $0.15 come from? lol

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can think of it this way:

.35 in the pot, and then you make a minraise of .25 + .25 = .50, so .50 + .35 = .85

calicokid49

calicokid49

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it still doesnt make sense to me either

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It works out that you call before the pot raise......Sometimes....., but your example must be from distant planet, cause it makes no sense to me either.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, put simply, from No Limit and Pot Limit Poker Rules:

4. The maximum amount a player can raise is the amount in the pot after the call is made. Therefore, if a pot is $100, and someone makes a $50 bet, the next player can call $50 and raise the pot $200, for a total wager of $250.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's an example to help explain. Let's say you're heads-up on the flop, you have a strong hand but there's a flush draw out there. The pot is $3, and your opponent leads out for $1. You have a note on him that he does this with draws, so you want to make a pot sized raise to price him out. Well, the existing pot is $3 + $1 = $4. So do you raise $4 to a total of $5? No! If you put in $5, your first dollar is your CALL, the next $4 is your RAISE. Your opponent would now have to call $4 into a $5 pot. Good enough to price out a draw, obviously, but not a complete pot-sized raise.

To raise the pot, you always first include the price of your call. So in the above example, your call would make the pot $5, then you raise $5 more on top of the $1 bet to make it $6 to go.

In the OP's original question, the pot is .10 + .25 = .35. Your call is .25 more, making the pot .60, so a pot-sized raise is .25 + .60 = .85.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's an example to help explain. Let's say you're heads-up on the flop, you have a strong hand but there's a flush draw out there. The pot is $3, and your opponent leads out for $1. You have a note on him that he does this with draws, so you want to make a pot sized raise to price him out. Well, the existing pot is $3 + $1 = $4. So do you raise $4 to a total of $5? No! If you put in $5, your first dollar is your CALL, the next $4 is your RAISE. Your opponent would now have to call $4 into a $5 pot. Good enough to price out a draw, obviously, but not a complete pot-sized raise.

To raise the pot, you always first include the price of your call. So in the above example, your call would make the pot $5, then you raise $5 more on top of the $1 bet to make it $6 to go.

In the OP's original question, the pot is .10 + .25 = .35. Your call is .25 more, making the pot .60, so a pot-sized raise is .25 + .60 = .85.

Gunslinger,you straying from THP forum?Just kidding,I still go by there from time to time,but I like it here better.Welcome and glad to see we have another "real" member to make real post.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

The man in black fled across the dessert and the gunslinger followed......
like the pic couldnt resist.... :D