Raising Flush On Paired Boards

S

Siggi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was nr 1 stack in a 3 dollar snap tourney on 888 had Ac8c otb sb calls with 33. Flop comes 7c 3c 9c i bet third pot he just calls. Turn is jc it went check check because i thought nothing is gonna pay me river is another j he pots it and i snap raised all in. I really think it was a mistake to raise or is it a bad beat? what do you think

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With four clubs to the flush on board along with the paired J's, your raise has very little chance of being called by a worse hand. Even Kc is liable to fold with the all in re-raise. While you could fold the river bet, chances that he filled up are not great. A call is reasonable. The raise, definitely not.

B

BukuDuckets

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people like to play high card flushes and raise on flushes on paired boards or even go after their straight draws on flush boards. Sometimes, the pot odds make it worthwhile to look an opponent up, but for me personally, I never do it. I don't like to be superstitious and say that I always lose when I do it, but I will say for sure that when you play those hands, you almost always lose more than you win.

The only hand that calls your all-in is a better hand. Meanwhile, can you honestly say if you were in a big tournament for your tournament life and you had the Ace high flush on a paired board and the villain pushed on the river that you wouldn't call?

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the villain didn't jam, the hero did. That's -equity a huge majority of the time. His hand has showdown value, and that is what should have been done.

He either 1) wins the pot with his A flush at showdown, 2) wins the pot by raising all in and forcing the K flush to fold, 3) wins the pot by raising all in and getting called by K or 4) loses his stack by raising and getting called by a boat.

Options 1 and 2 lead to the same pot won. Option 3 is not very likely to receive a call, so reverts to option 2 (on top of the fact that the SB range would be wide, and includes a lot more low cards, so probably having a flush as good as K is out of the question). Option 4 results in a larger loss. There is really only one good option, unless you consider folding the A flush, but I think a call is justified.

Full Flush Poker