Question about positioning

RoaringLlama

RoaringLlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
I am relatively new to poker, been playing quite a lot for the past few months, and have been really enjoying playing and watching. But when watching pros play the commentators use a lot of terms about positioning at the table and I was just wondering how important that actually was? Basics of it are a little obvious but wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basics: if we played heads up and you always had to act first would you have the advantage or would I have the advantage? Position has its advantages

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of information and video on the Internet on this subject... study it... will help exactly..)))
:icon_stud

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Position is very basic as you said, but very important in the game. The position factor helps you determine your range (of playable hands in a single spot), determine how agressive you would be in a single spot... In position (actiong last) you have much more information than when you are out of position (acting first) when you have none... And much more you could discover while playing!
Almost every decision in poker depends on position

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
I am relatively new to poker, been playing quite a lot for the past few months, and have been really enjoying playing and watching. But when watching pros play the commentators use a lot of terms about positioning at the table and I was just wondering how important that actually was? Basics of it are a little obvious but wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.

Position helps determine what kinds of plays you should make. An example is bluffs are safer to make in position as your opponent has to announce his strengths and weaknesses first by acting before you.

RoaringLlama

RoaringLlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position helps determine what kinds of plays you should make. An example is bluffs are safer to make in position as your opponent has to announce his strengths and weaknesses first by acting before you.
Makes alot of sense, thanks!

RoaringLlama

RoaringLlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is very basic as you said, but very important in the game. The position factor helps you determine your range (of playable hands in a single spot), determine how agressive you would be in a single spot... In position (actiong last) you have much more information than when you are out of position (acting first) when you have none... And much more you could discover while playing!
Almost every decision in poker depends on position

Then back to poker it is then, sounds like its the best way to learn!

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Location, location, location

Just like location is key to real estate sales, position (location) is extremely important.
Your position should govern almost all your bets .. someone mentioned the wealth of information on the internet. Google "playing position in texas holdem" for example and do your research. Be smart, study.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
position is everything in poker. Position would allow a small losing player to go heads up vs a small/medium winning reg and be positive EV if they where allowed to have position in every hand. Being out of position is extremely tough to play profitably no matter how good you are.

K

Kiritoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is the key to be a winning player in poker. With position, you can rep alot of hands/ranges which allow you to make profitable plays even when you're beaten.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OOP (Out of position) - You're the first to act and have the disadvantage of not having information and not knowing how your opponent will react to your actions.

IP (In position) - You're the last to make a decision and have the advantage of owning the information of your opponent's action, being able to react in the way that is most advantageous, as well as having the advantage of 'pot control'.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Positions on the poker table :

Attachments

• pozycje przy stole.jpg
    pozycje przy stole.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7
Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
Position is very important in poker. The general rule of thumb is that it takes better hands to call a bet, or make a raise in early position. Because if you commit those chips and then either you don't improve your hand, or other players raise your bets on later streets it puts you in a tough position being that you had to act first. It does seem obvious, but it is so important. Take care :cool:

R

RunoMont

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
Position is one of the pillars in poker. Knowing your position is to know how to react. You have an idea of how many people and how aggressive the bets will be. If you are in a late position. It basically defines who bets first.