Psychology thing

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I couldn't find a topic about psychology so I decided to write here. I have a problem where I get too excited when I play big hands, on bluffs, or just simply go all-in regardless how much BB I have. It doesn't matter if it's a 0.25c SNG or a 20$ tournament. My heart is races whenever I get involved into situations where decides will I continue to play or not and because of that I can't think clearly about a hand. My mind just gets taken over by my emotions and feelings. Maybe somebody has a same problem? I really want to get over with it.

Danoncebay

Danoncebay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello and welcome! There are some tips to overcome what you say or in any case, have a quiet session with the required concentration. Sleep well. Beyond healthy sleep is a very important for during the day to achieve a good concentration. Something that I personally practice to avoid being anxious is to play with chips at the table, although it is online, it is always good to have our other hand occupied in order to avoid tilt. Study ranges. Try to be a bit more disciplined with the use of the "All in" only when you are low in blinds, average of 12 down. I hope I could have helped you, luck at the tables!

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just breath in when you have a big hand,concentrating all of your power in the game you will get there.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know, I am much more relaxed at tournaments that fit easily in my bankroll management environment. But in your case it doesn't sound that that situation helps you. Good luck, if your playing live your emotions will be huge tells, online you can get away with it.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to have the same problem and still do some times. I think all players have this happen at times, they just learn to control it. I found the more I play the more I get used to not showing my emotions. When I hit the flop hard I now try to figure out how to capitalize on it other than thinking about the huge hand I have. You can also practice breathing techniques, breathe in through mouth as you count to 5, hold or a count of 5 and let it out through your nose for a count of 5. Hope this helps.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to have the same problem and still do some times. I think all players have this happen at times, they just learn to control it. I found the more I play the more I get used to not showing my emotions. When I hit the flop hard I now try to figure out how to capitalize on it other than thinking about the huge hand I have. You can also practice breathing techniques, breathe in through mouth as you count to 5, hold or a count of 5 and let it out through your nose for a count of 5. Hope this helps.
I'm playing about for a 2 years and still have this problem. I tried out breathing techniques, controling my emotions but still it happens. Maybe it's because of my temper, idk. But still thanks for advice. GL_)

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same experience with my heart racing during big hands, I don`t know if it ever goes away, but I have noticed that ever since I started following my bankroll management seriously, the heart racing is minimal.

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frequent mental bluffs do not lead to a normal state. Therefore, you need to reconsider your poker priorities.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have such moments when my heart is pounding very strongly and I am nervous about the game, but this happens only when I play good tournaments from 5-10-20 dollars, and when I play cheap tournaments of 0.50 cents or for 1 dollar, then I have become accustomed to different situations and sensations in the body, maybe you will have some time and you will get used to it!

M

malaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to believe in success, because today is in your head tomorrow in racquettes!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem, emotions taken over me and I'm mistaken. I think we should play more and gain experience.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Breath! :)

Nervousness is natural, when facing a big bet, or when you have a big hand...
Just accept it, and don't let it interfere with your play or decision making!

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to everybody for advices. Is there any good books about this?

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Risk creates stress, which we all manage differently. Some have learned to regulate it so that it has a minimal impact on their body and that their reasoning is not felt. I do not think we can get rid of this sensation but we can learn how to manage it when it happens to us. drinking water, managing your breathing or even playing a video or a song during the game can help you relax.

but above all it depends on what causes this stress. The fear of failure? To make mistakes? To look stupid? Do an introspection job, be honest with yourself. If you are aware of yourself, you can try to progress. you will then have to modify your own way of thinking and put the event into perspective. There is not a lot of books available, but I would personally advise you to "Defeat your worst enemy", a book in which Alan Shoonmaker, doctor of psychology, will deal with this aspect of management. of stress around a poker table.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem my heart almost beats out of my chest and then I start to become flustered

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes, while playing poker, emotions also hinder me. Under the influence of emotions, I make mistakes. This is a very widespread problem. It is best in such cases to stop playing and make a break.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're saying when you have big hands. So, the chances to win are big, but you don't want everyone to get out. Not pushing too high, as soon as comes the flop, you can tell if you're able to win the pot. Make them call you at least, a big reraise from someone should be read carefully.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, so try to relax if you are goint to play real poker. Online, the tip is the same, relax. Take some water, breathe! Take advantage that nobody is seeing you, and relax, take you time.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you will control it over time. You need to play a lot of more hands

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mean any disrespect but, have you thought about xanax. I'm serious. I don't take it but, I am sure that it could help you out. Good luck!!! Just remember, It's just a game, especially if it is a freeroll, for sure. Keep everything in perspective. You're going to win some and you're going to lose some. That being said, don't get frantic. Pay attention to your opponents, and at the end of the day if you come out ahead than super and if you don't than you live to fight another day. Either way, if you keep on studying the game than I have no doubt that you will get better with experience.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry, me and other people are same as you in the beginning. The best thing you can do is standing up, breathing, don't think about it in 1 or 2 minutes. I always do that, it's very useful for me.